PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of delegates?

Second_Tier_My_Ass
11-11-2007, 11:52 PM
In my very basic understanding, delegates are sent to the Republican National Convention and cast their votes for who to nominate as our Republican nominee for the Presidency. Some of their votes are binding, meaning they have to vote according to how their state's primaries voted, and some are non-binding, meaning they are free to vote for whomever.

This is all just in theory though. I really don't know much about the process (shameful, I know, but I'm trying to study it), but the wikipedia article talking about the US Presidential nomination conventions says this...

"Due to changes in election laws and the manner in which political campaigns are run, conventions since the last quarter of the 20th century have virtually abdicated their original roles, and are today mostly ceremonial affairs."

It explains how they really don't tend to vote for anyone other than who wins the most delegates in the primary elections, and actually they are encouraged to vote unanimously in favor of the primary election "winner" to show strong party unity.

Many have stated that our lack of Ron Paul-supporting delegates could be a problem, and that we need to step up and volunteer to actually become those delegates. I understand our desire to do this just in case we need to have those delegates in place, but if we end up garnering the most primary votes, isn't this really more of a non-issue? Please help to clarify this situation for me. Am I completely wrong about how this all works?

moberley
11-12-2007, 01:41 AM
In my very basic understanding, delegates are sent to the Republican National Convention and cast their votes for who to nominate as our Republican nominee for the Presidency. Some of their votes are binding, meaning they have to vote according to how their state's primaries voted, and some are non-binding, meaning they are free to vote for whomever.

The rules on this differ from state to state, and delegates (other than automatic delegates -- usually state party officials) are generally bound for at least one vote. Some states require each candidate to nominate a slate of supporting delegates. Those states' delegates to the national convention are selected from these slates based on whatever the primary voting is used there.

The best place I've found for information on this for the GOP is called The Republican Source.

http://www.republicansource.com/primaries.htm

"Due to changes in election laws and the manner in which political campaigns are run, conventions since the last quarter of the 20th century have virtually abdicated their original roles, and are today mostly ceremonial affairs."

It explains how they really don't tend to vote for anyone other than who wins the most delegates in the primary elections, and actually they are encouraged to vote unanimously in favor of the primary election "winner" to show strong party unity.

As I understand the situation, for the two major parties in the United States the delegates to the nominating conventions still technically vote for the party nominees for President and Vice President. But, with the current trend of one dominant candidate emerging well before the formal convention the other candidates concede and "release" their delegates.

Many have stated that our lack of Ron Paul-supporting delegates could be a problem, and that we need to step up and volunteer to actually become those delegates. I understand our desire to do this just in case we need to have those delegates in place, but if we end up garnering the most primary votes, isn't this really more of a non-issue? Please help to clarify this situation for me. Am I completely wrong about how this all works?

No, you're not completely wrong but it is just complicated enough a process to be wrong and right at the same time. (See my note on states that require candidates to nominate their potential delegates before the primary votes.)

Truth be told I don't really understand most of the process either.

foofighter20x
11-12-2007, 02:02 AM
You are confused on binding and non-binding.

Binding just means that the delegates are required to vote for a specific candidate.

All states will have a binding election for delegates before the convention.

The only thing important about binding elections for delegates is whether they are scheduled to fall before the first Tuesday in February, since that will cause the state to lose 50% of their delegation.

Nevada and Iowa are having non-binding caucuses... Basically it's just a beauty contest. They actually will hold a binding primary or caucus later that spring or early that summer before the convention in order to officially select their bound delegates.

Most delegates swear and sign a statement that they will go to the convention and vote for the same candidate their district or state party voted for. They usually agree to vote for that candidate per their state's rules, which usually provide that if no one wins the nomination after a certain amount of ballots that they are then free to vote for whomever they want; or it may require them to keep voting for the candidate their state selected until the candidate releases the delegates to vote for whomever they choose.

That help?

fsk
11-12-2007, 10:17 AM
I think delegates are only pledged on the first ballot.

If the first ballot at the convention doesn't lead to a nominee, then I believe delegates are free to do whatever they want.

moberley
11-12-2007, 02:53 PM
I think delegates are only pledged on the first ballot.

This depends on the state or territory. Some jurisdictions bind delegates for more than one vote.

Also in some places delegates are not required to commit to a candidate at all. For example, in Hawai'i (where delegates are named at a state convention) delegates are bound for the first ballot if they run as declared. However, a Hawai'in delegate is permitted to run as undeclared. I don't know if that ever actually happens.

The bottom line is that if there is not a clear winner prior to the convention opening in St. Paul then a lot of processes and rules that have not been tested for a long time will be tested.

moberley
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
You are confused on binding and non-binding.

Binding just means that the delegates are required to vote for a specific candidate.

All states will have a binding election for delegates before the convention.

Not all states and territories bind their delegates. Based on the information published at TheRepublicanSource I get the following list of states and territories that do not automatically bind their delegates.

Alaska, American Samoa*, Arizona, Hawai'i (only if undeclared), Minnesota**, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, Northern Marianas*, Pennsylvania, Washington, Wyoming**

* the body that elects the delegate may choose to instruct them how to vote
** At large delegates are required to declare their support

New York is also interesting because it requires each candidate to nominate a slate of delegates.

A number of other states including Iowa and Illinois elect individual delegates declared for candidates at local meetings, as well as some at large delegates.

I have not indipendently verified this informaiton. It's all from The Republican Source website which cites the RNC and the Green Papers.

http://www.republicansource.com/primaries.htm