PauliticsPolitics
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
I think you forgot something.
Maybe this?
http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20120130/OPINION/120130012

Krugerrand
01-30-2012, 12:27 PM
I liked this part:

Even then, the primary winner would have to work to get seven delegates that he wants and trusts, because all district and at-large delegates are chosen by the state convention. It's conceivable that the many highly motivated and organized supporters of Congressman Paul could so dominate the caucuses that they control the state convention and choose his loyalists as delegates, even if they are officially uncommitted. If Romney and Gingrich can't match his ground game in the caucuses, Paul could run third in the primary and still have the support of most of the state's delegation at the national convention.

2young2vote
01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Is he basically saying that he doesn't want the delegate process because Ron Paul might get the nomination because of delegates?

sailingaway
01-30-2012, 12:35 PM
I think you forgot something.
Maybe this?
http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20120130/OPINION/120130012

:o

sailingaway
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Is he basically saying that he doesn't want the delegate process because Ron Paul might get the nomination because of delegates?

basically

ignoring that the reason it is set that way is because party insiders have traditionally used the system to keep their own establishment candidates in. If it weren't set up that way, usually it would be the party insiders not getting their guy.

Krugerrand
01-30-2012, 12:37 PM

Pretty much.

As a non-public organization, the state Republican Party can run its nomination process as it pleases, even if minimizing the input of the average GOP voter. But because state taxpayers foot the bill for these presidential primaries, the Legislature should insist that the allocation of delegates reflects the will of the voters, in the best democratic tradition.

The author conveniently forgets that we're not a democracy for a reason.

KingNothing
01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
basically

ignoring that the reason it is set that way is because party insiders have traditionally used the system to keep their own establishment candidates in. If it weren't set up that way, usually it would be the party insiders not getting their guy.

I absolutely love that we're better at playing their game than they are.

That is significant.

specsaregood
01-30-2012, 01:04 PM
I liked this part:

Even then, the primary winner would have to work to get seven delegates that he wants and trusts, because all district and at-large delegates are chosen by the state convention. It's conceivable that the many highly motivated and organized supporters of Congressman Paul could so dominate the caucuses that they control the state convention and choose his loyalists as delegates, even if they are officially uncommitted. If Romney and Gingrich can't match his ground game in the caucuses, Paul could run third in the primary and still have the support of most of the state's delegation at the national convention

Which is exactly what happened last time in Nevada; EXCEPT at the state convention the GOP turned out the lights and refused to count the ballots then invented up their own delegate selection process for national.

hueylong
01-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Maginnis isn't for or against anyone. He's saying the delegate allocation process is screwed up. He's also pointing out that we could win the whole thing. :)

georgiaboy
01-30-2012, 01:19 PM
This is the kind of thing that I wish I had been taught in high school civics. The average voter who doesn't enter the process but just goes to the polls has no idea that their vote is only one small piece of the overall nomination process.

hueylong
01-30-2012, 01:21 PM
It was taught in high school civics. The thing of it is -- both parties update their rules nationally, and state by state, every election cycle.

slamhead
01-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Maginnis: Louisiana GOP primary is just an exercise ..... ever since that Paul guy came around and shined a light on us. We still got away with giving the delegates to McCain back in 08.

KingNothing
01-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Every time I see "Maginnis" I think "Mangina"

That probably means there's something very, very wrong with me.

Phyxrgon
01-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Every time I see "Maginnis" I think "Mangina"

That probably means there's something very, very wrong with me.
i read meningitis...

RonPaul101.com
01-30-2012, 03:03 PM
I absolutely love that we're better at playing their game than they are.

That is significant.

Which is why they want to change the game.

puppetmaster
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Which is exactly what happened last time in Nevada; EXCEPT at the state convention the GOP turned out the lights and refused to count the ballots then invented up their own delegate selection process for national.

And because they are a private organization they can do this over and over. They can and will keep changing rules and procedures to thwart any threat to their scam of the American people. Our Government is corrupt and merciless.