PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Friendly Ron Paul Editorial

micahnelson
06-18-2007, 02:14 PM
The following editorial is an example of what can be written about the Ron Paul movement, but not REALLY about Ron Paul. Many Papers don't want to print a love note to a politician they don't know about. Something like this has a better chance of getting published, without diluting the message.

An Inside Look at the Political Internet: Something Old is New Again
June 13th, 2007

Political Activism is a term that invites controversy. At the invocation of the phrase, many conjure in their mind’s eye images of the tumultuous nineteen sixties. Others may reflect on political movements ranging from the promotion of women’s suffrage to the rioting in Seattle surrounding the World Trade Organization conference. Those involved are classified by the masses within a similarly wide range of description, from Patriots to Terrorists. On June 11th, I decided it was time to view this American experience in person, and make up my own mind.

In days of old, I would have to seek out like minded individuals slowly over time. This process alone could be daunting, or dangerous when supporting causes that may challenge the status quo. Thankfully for me, this has been drastically changed by the Internet. Using my computer I was able to locate local proponents of my chosen cause, support for Ron Paul in 2008. Through the official campaign website I was able to find unofficial “Meetups” through Meetup.com. The Southern New England group was meeting at the Ground Round in Pawtucket. I circled it on my calendar and waited.

What types of people would attend this Meetup? Stories from the media are rife with tales of Internet predators and identity thieves. The same Internet that has broken communication barriers globally has seemingly made face to face interaction a risky proposition. I almost didn’t go. Having never been politically involved I was slightly intimidated by the unknown. I was also slightly intimidated by the Pawtucket S curves. In the end, the traffic was the only legitimate worry I had harbored.

I walked into a group of six, but as the time past roughly twenty of us had assembled. The group, mostly men, sat in varying stages of comfort around the tables which had been pushed together for our event.Some had clearly walked this path before, baby boomer’s who seemed as comfortable in these activities as they were in their sandals and tie dye decades ago. Others of a similar age seemed at the other end of the political spectrum, but brought to the table by a desire for a return to America’s constitutional heritage of limited government and personal freedom. Surprisingly, most of the group was there under my set of circumstances, Politically minded people wanting to be involved and looking for a place to start. Though divided by age and political views, we quickly found our common ground.

The meeting lasted around two hours. In the span of the time we discussed ways to get the word out about Ron Paul, what most succinctly describes his platform, and shared some of our reasons for supporting this man for the White House. We would meet again in two weeks, bringing more supporters and acting on plans that would be discussed through the Internet in the coming days. Without outside influence or an official stamp, we had gathered together to discuss politics and our future as Americans over beers and colas. The feeling of coming together to support a cause was very fulfilling, and something I am sorry I had never taken the time to experience earlier. In the back corner of that Ground Round in Pawtucket we took the mantle of those who came before us.

Over two centuries ago free men gathered in a very similar spirit. What they lacked in technical savvy they more than made up for in pure dedication. They took a political discussion in a tavern and forged it into the single greatest defender of personal freedoms that the world has ever seen before. Our group hopes to maintain that same freedom for generations to come. While the technology may allow these meetings to all become virtual, I hope they see the value of the American spirit manifested in a peaceful public assembly. As we approach our independence day, I encourage all of you to find a local cause and support it.