PDA

View Full Version : "The Hispanic Vote" - Racism

Gary4Liberty
01-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Does it bother anybody here that they refer to "The Hispanic Vote". Isnt that an extremely racist thing to say? What if they refered to "The White Vote". It seems the media love to perpetuate racism. I thought we were all the same and equal but they are still generalizing people into groups based on race. They are such hypocrites.

Brian4Liberty
01-29-2012, 02:08 PM
It seems the media love to perpetuate racism.

There is no doubt about that. It's a diversionary tactic.

On the other hand, people like to generalize and group things, so there will always be some of this going on. Of course "Hispanic" is not a race at all, and it is not very descriptive.

Moo2400
01-29-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't know if I'd call it racist as much as I'd call it collectivist. It's certainly a worldview adopted from the left, dividing individuals up into various small groups.

MelissaWV
01-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Even if you were to go with cliches, the "Cuban vote" is statistically different from the "Mexican vote" or whatever. The "Hispanic vote" is usually lazy shorthand for "Latinos for whom immigration is a big deal, and who might be illegals or have illegal family members (mostly Mexican)." It usually just leads to pandering, with excuses for why "Hispanics" don't like liberty and such.

So yes, this whole idea is just another way to make collectivist statements a-okay.

Philhelm
01-29-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm not one to be obsessed with the topic of race and racism, but I believe that technically speaking, the idea of pandering to the "Hispanic vote" is a form of racism. Granted, I say this from the viewpoint that the idea of racism is misunderstood, as not all forms of racism are necessarily of malicious intent. The manifestation of racism comes in the idea that people of a particular race are a monolithic people that can't be as diverse as white people are "allowed" to be when it comes to cultural preconception. The implication is that they can't be as complex as other groups, which would make them be inherently inferior.

In other words, anyone who is "Hispanic" is immediately deemed to be nothing but a simpleton that is only concerned with the immigration issue, at least in the way it's presented by the media. This, of course, isn't accurate. The pitfalls of collectivism.

As for the (correct) assertion that "Hispanic" is not a race but a reference to the Iberian culture, I find that most people seem to misuse it in order to define race.

teacherone
01-29-2012, 03:40 PM
they do this:

white working class voters (http://www.google.de/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&q=%22white+working+class%22&oq=%22white+working+class%22&aq=f&aqi=d1d-o1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2480l9128l0l9383l35l31l7l16l23l1l279l1150l1 .4.2l7l0)

Gary4Liberty
01-29-2012, 03:41 PM
you guys call racism collectivism. I see. Every form i ever filled out that asks for my race offers Hispanic as an option. Its racism. Its grouping based on ethnicity. Its generalizing values based on race. Its wrong. Its accepted. Try saying . The white vote sometimes. See how quick you will be labeled a racist and fired from your job. Say , The Italian vote sometime. I can see it now. Lets say Romney says he will be giving pizza shops a tax break. Nobody is going to say hes pandering to the Italian Vote. Why? Because they would be called racist. What if Romney says, banks are going to be given tax breaks. Is anyone going to say hes pandering to the Jewish vote? No. Because that would be racism. Generalizing about people based on their race is Racism.

teacherone
01-29-2012, 03:42 PM
you guys call racism collectivism. I see. Every form i ever filled out that asks for my race offers Hispanic as an option. Its racism. Its grouping based on ethnicity. Its generalizing values based on race. Its wrong. Its accepted. Try saying . The white vote sometimes. See how quick you will be labeled a racist and fired from your job. Say , The Italian vote sometime. I can see it now. Lets say Romney says he will be giving pizza shops a tax break. Nobody is going to say hes pandering to the Italian Vote. Why? Because they would be called racist. What if Romney says, banks are going to be given tax breaks. Is anyone going to say hes pandering to the Jewish vote? No. Because that would be racism. Generalizing about people based on their race is Racism.

they say "the white vote" all the time.

white working class voters (http://www.google.de/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&q="white+working+class"&oq="white+working+class"&aq=f&aqi=d1d-o1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2480l9128l0l9383l35l31l7l16l23l1l279l1150l1 .4.2l7l0)

MelissaWV
01-29-2012, 03:43 PM

The Government using something does not make it correct, though if you will look closely at the last census, it was changed.

You continue to state Hispanic as a race. That's part of what the problem is. People say these things, and never stop to question the context they are using to define a group.

Gary4Liberty
01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Granted, I say this from the viewpoint that the idea of racism is misunderstood, as not all forms of racism are necessarily of malicious intent....
In other words, anyone who is "Hispanic" is immediately deemed to be nothing but a simpleton that is only concerned with the immigration issue, at least in the way it's presented by the media. This, of course, isn't accurate. The pitfalls of collectivism.

This is exactly right. In this case it is making latinos look inferior. It is true that not all racism is malicious. For example Affirmative action is racism designed to show favortism toward non white males. This is malicious to white males though. I just dont want double standards and for people to call it what it is. Not just shrug and call it collectivism.

as far as the white working class. At least that qualifies the specific whites they are talking about. But you are right that is most definitely racism too. So there is an element of equality there I suppose but not really. I know if I ever refered to someones race or any other ron paul supporter did so they would be thrown down the basement stairs. Thats not equal.

Gary4Liberty
01-29-2012, 03:55 PM
The Government using something does not make it correct, though if you will look closely at the last census, it was changed.

You continue to state Hispanic as a race. That's part of what the problem is. People say these things, and never stop to question the context they are using to define a group. All I know is that if said the word Hispanic in an politically incorrect way the establishment would jump on me and call me a racist and you know that.

MelissaWV
01-29-2012, 03:56 PM
If you call everything racism, when it's not, it loses all meaning.

There was "the black vote" in 2008. Yes, that was racist.

You talked about Affirmative Action helping non-white males, but it also caters to females. Is that gender-based discrimination racist? No, it's sexist. There are different types of discrimination, and calling "Hispanic" a "race" is not really helping anything. Frankly, now you've twisted this thread into calling us out for using the term "collectivist."

Gary4Liberty
01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
what is the name of the feminist who said he had a man crush on paul?

The_Ruffneck
01-29-2012, 05:07 PM
It is useful though , look at Obamas job approval for instance on gallup.
Among blacks his approval is something like 81% , among whites 37% , hispanics somewhere in the mid 50s.

AuH20
01-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Don't latino and hispanics refer to themselves in the third person? I'm pretty sure there was a debate earlier this year, in which an individual asked the Republican candidates, "How will you help latinos?"

papitosabe
01-30-2012, 01:27 AM
my god...alot of drivel...fact is 2/3 of obama's win was the minority vote...I'm south american and could care less about hispanic/latino issues to tell you the truth... but black/latino/hispanic issues are important to many... I know some on here don't think highly of minorities, I get that..but I'd say lets put the treat everyone the same argument away for now, and do what we can to get that vote, until RP gets elected...we need every single vote... so what focus can we put as positives to get that vote? so what can use to get a latino/hispanic obama supporter to vote RP, even though it doesn't have to be an RP action?? keep it simple
1. obama's bank bailouts have actually made it harder for latinos via inflation tax.. (yes, i know that works for all..whites/blacks/etc)
2. obama's NDAA can/will be used to hold latinos without trial/lawyer (yes, i know that works for all ...whites/blacks/etc)

not sure how to word it but something about how its harder for small businesses/employement of minorities/etc..... what else guys...

aGameOfThrones
01-30-2012, 02:47 AM
Don't latino and hispanics refer to themselves in the third person? I'm pretty sure there was a debate earlier this year, in which an individual asked the Republican candidates, "How will you help latinos?"

Hahaha. When I spent(wasted) quite a lot of money to take this "government owes me everything" family member to the Rally 4 the Republic... those were the exact same words.

Athan
01-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Does it bother anybody here that they refer to "The Hispanic Vote". Isnt that an extremely racist thing to say? What if they refered to "The White Vote". It seems the media love to perpetuate racism. I thought we were all the same and equal but they are still generalizing people into groups based on race. They are such hypocrites.
As a hispanic myself, yes it is hypocritical. Call the racist media out on it with no remorse. I know what they mean, the voting bloc, but still if they are going after Paul with insane accusations by all means go after those collectivist racists swine.

oyarde
01-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Does it bother anybody here that they refer to "The Hispanic Vote". Isnt that an extremely racist thing to say? What if they refered to "The White Vote". It seems the media love to perpetuate racism. I thought we were all the same and equal but they are still generalizing people into groups based on race. They are such hypocrites. Yeah , it does bother me . How many votes are they talking about ?

Austrian Econ Disciple
01-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Of course it's racist. Most of the time what they are trying to convey are the political patterns and priorities of certain socio-economic backgrounds. They could simply say instead of white voters, suburban voters, or blue collar voters, or white collar, or evangelical voters, etc. etc. They act like because I am white I have some pre-destined vote pattern or values. It's racist to the core.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
They refer to the "White Working Class" all the time.

Just more collectivist bullshit from the media...as usual.

oyarde
01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
They refer to the "White Working Class" all the time.

Just more collectivist bullshit from the media...as usual. Yeah , I doubt most media people could spot a " white working class " person :)

Southron
01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
You need to define racism before you accuse someone of it. OP, I wouldn't throw the word around recklessly.

Gary4Liberty
01-31-2012, 01:44 PM
You need to define racism before you accuse someone of it. OP, I wouldn't throw the word around recklessly.

Ya like when newt gingrich said that people should learn english instead of the language of the ghetto. They didnt hesitate calling him racist did they?
Unless someone is confused about what racism is, there is no need to define it. Ill help you with it.

Racism is generalizing what someones values are based only on their ethnicity. That is what people are doing under the guise of collectivism. When they say Hispanic Vote, they assume that hispanic people all vote the same way since they are of the same ethnic heritage. The black vote, they assume that black people will all vote the same because of the color of their skin. What could be more racist than that?

Sexism is the same thing but instead of ethnicity , its generalizing what someone value are based on what set of genitalia they have. Disgusting sexism. Same with ageism. People are individuals and should be regarded as such. Using group names based on ethnicity, sex or age promotes racism, sexism and ageism respectively.

I hope this helps you make sense of the terminology so you can understand things that are easily understood from the context. Most likely you just misunderstood on purpose.

Southron
01-31-2012, 07:33 PM
I hope this helps you make sense of the terminology so you can understand things that are easily understood from the context. Most likely you just misunderstood on purpose.

I would disagree that Gingrich made a racist statement or that making general observations about race is racist if you aren't part of some perceived American minority.

I guess I am just sick of race-baiting. If you want to call the media out on the double-standard, then feel free by all means.

GeorgiaAvenger
01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Funny how the "collectivists" who use demographics know how to get votes as opposed to those that choose to be demographically illiterate.