PDA

View Full Version : Occupy Oakland: Police arrest 300

moderate libertarian
01-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Thought this movement was over but guess not, the occupy movement seems more resilient than Tea Party's "anti big spending" splah few months ago that no one even talks about now as Obama seeks trillions more in spending:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/01/occupy-oakland-police-arrest-300-officials-decry-illegal-activity.html

roho76
01-29-2012, 11:54 AM
I get emails from the occupy movement, probably from democrats.com that I signed up for, but they keep trying to sell me OWS stuff. The people who make the OWS wear probably get federal funding somehow. They have tents, jackets, socks, hats, shirts, ect. Not very anti-corporation if you ask me.

cartemj06
01-29-2012, 12:00 PM
I am not too familiar with their intent. Yesterday I looked at a live stream to see what was going on and as soon as I did I told those around me to watch, I knew right away that it was going to get hostile, and it did. I watched it all unfolding life on my laptop and I can say two things about it so far today. The MSM is not telling the truth. The whole thing was disgusting.

Jeremy
01-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Thought this movement was over but guess not, the occupy movement seems more resilient than Tea Party's "anti big spending" splah few months ago that no one even talks about now as Obama seeks trillions more in spending:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/01/occupy-oakland-police-arrest-300-officials-decry-illegal-activity.html

???

The Tea Party lasted far longer.

moderate libertarian
01-29-2012, 12:09 PM
???

The Tea Party lasted far longer.

I was not referring to Tea Part itself that has a very diverse agenda, I was talking about the anti big spending movement around Aug 2010 that resulted in so called "super committee". That is ancient history now, no talk even in GOP debates. Spending/deficit talk has been muted suddenly.

Obama says Republicans to blame for 'super committee's' failure ...
Nov 21, 2011 ... President Obama delivers a statement on the "super committee" at the ... never
stood up to "tea party extremists," cowered to anti-tax activist Grover ... by the
president's failure to put forward a plan to cut spending and his ...
articles.latimes.com/.../la-pn-super-committee-reaction-20111121

ds21089
01-30-2012, 06:17 PM
A protestor's take on what really happened

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/p1m34/what_really_happened_at_occupy_oakland_read_my/

cartemj06
01-30-2012, 07:31 PM
All i can say is that Occupy's leadership or "general assembly" needs a little general education. They are not organized enough, not experienced enough and they need to think things through more clearly. Unless I have read them wrong and they intend to use their imprisonment to get their parent's attention, then by all means they are well on their way to successful action. What they have managed to do is get all their names in the police logs, draw negative publicity, discourage and tire their base. I am not agains them, I am just offering some constructive criticism for a youthful and energetic movement that is pouring energy in aimlessness.

I thought about putting advice for them here, but I have decided not to.

on another note, what I saw from Oakland's PD was terrible. they were overly militant and had no problems testing the shiny equip. on young kids. they made terrible decisions, like using gain ground riot techniques on peaceful demos, and really if they didn't have media outlets wanting to paint occupy in a bad light they could have had a PR nightmare on their hands. I guess really they have nothing to lose at this point. Oakland PD made me seriously think about what liberty means in this country now and it isn't what I learned growing up. The actions that Oakland PD took were disturbing and shameful.

JuicyG
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
This turned into a global movement. It`s not even about the US anymore.

There were some occupy protesters at world economic forum in Davos(Switzerland) recently. There`s "occupy" in Australia also and other places.

NoPants
01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
The occupy movement is so misguided. They don't understand the underlying causes of the issues they're protesting so the end up protesting the wrong thing.

eric_cartman
01-30-2012, 07:44 PM
i wonder what percentage of those arrested voted for and/or supported Obama?

if they didn't want their rights to be violated by the police state, they should have supported ron paul in 2008.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
01-30-2012, 07:58 PM
A protestor's take on what really happened

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/p1m34/what_really_happened_at_occupy_oakland_read_my/

Short version - The mass arrests at Occupy Oakland occurred 4 hours after the violent incidents ended. The arrests occurred during a march which had no protester violence, and the arrests were conducted unlawfully. Protesters marching on a public street were kettled by police after receiving no dispersal order. After the arrests, more incidents occurred back at the main plaza. The media justifies the mass arrest by using a minority of the protesters actions at different times and places. In reality, the flag-burning, street battle, and city-hall trespassing are legally separate incidents. The 2:30pm street battle became the justification for calling the 5pm march a 'riot', even though the 5pm march had different people, a different purpose, and no incidents of protester aggression or rioting. Protesters were charged under CA Penal Code 409, which reads:

Every person remaining present at the place of any riot...after the same has been lawfully warned to disperse...is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Who one-starred this thread? And what is your issue?

The first step to fixing anything is identifying the problem, and at least these people are identifying that there *is* a problem, unlike most of the republican registered voters out there. AND they are making a point to show up and complain about it. Whatever is wrong with them, they are exercising their rights which is more than I can say for almost everyone else.

What they have managed to do is get all their names in the police logs, draw negative publicity, discourage and tire their base. I am not agains them, I am just offering some constructive criticism for a youthful and energetic movement that is pouring energy in aimlessness.

If you spend enough time on RPF expressing real opinions or any time on google where you are identified (and you often are), you're also on a list. It is not the local police logs you need to worry about. They aren't and don't have the resources to build detention camps. They aren't passing laws asking for indefinite detention.

The local police will share that information up, but you're already toast if you're worried about being on lists.

Working Poor
01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
I thought it was legal to protest. I guess it is not any more.

teacherone
01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
meh...these occupiers came dressed for battle but forgot what they were up against and ran away.

if police see militants carrying shields and marching towards them they're going to react.

if the occupiers aren't prepared to back up their bluster than it's their own fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSZFZM7CKpg&feature=related

Endgame
01-31-2012, 12:50 AM
I thought it was legal to protest. I guess it is not any more.

Protest permits... they've been around awhile. Peaceable assembly was effectively banned years ago in many places.

Endgame
01-31-2012, 12:51 AM
i wonder what percentage of those arrested voted for and/or supported Obama?

if they didn't want their rights to be violated by the police state, they should have supported ron paul in 2008.

The vast majority of the remaining Obama holdouts at a large and notoriously left-wing west coast city have changed their tune after the NDAA. So I've heard. I'll be checking out that crowd myself soon.