PDA

View Full Version : Jack Hunter: Accusations of Isolationism losing it's luster among the GOP Old Guard

AuH20
01-27-2012, 12:10 PM
I hope Hunter is being groomed for higher office.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/lindsey-graham-fears-the-spending-cuts-demint-demands/Content?oid=4004299

DeMint stood with Paul on Libya and now stands with Paul on foreign policy in many instances, even voting to essentially defund the Iraq War; both were also against the National Defense Authorization Act, which was heavily promoted by Graham. Such positions reflect DeMint's over-arching fiscal concerns. But perhaps most importantly, South Carolina's junior senator does not pretend that our debt is unrelated to foreign spending, a fantasy that continues to be a major philosophical flaw for so many in the GOP. DeMint addresses this issue directly in his new book Now or Never: Saving America From Economic Collapse, of which I was a contributor:

"Sen. Rand Paul has pointed out that there are two extremes in foreign policy — being everywhere all the time or being nowhere none of the time. Currently, the United States is far closer to the first extreme of trying to do too much in too many places. Of course, America must have the ability to defend our nation and our interests around the world, but ... we simply can no longer afford to intervene in every crisis around the world."

Republicans like Graham approach Pentagon spending the way liberals approach welfare. In much the same way conservatives are always accused of throwing the poor out on the street whenever they suggest reforming welfare, anyone who suggests cutting military spending is labeled an isolationist.

Such scare tactics have served liberals well for decades. They have also served Graham well, but perhaps not for much longer, as Republicans follow DeMint's lead and reassess the contradictions in their own philosophy that prevent the GOP from becoming the conservative party it should be.

CaptUSA
01-27-2012, 12:39 PM
I use this line of attack alot with people who support the warfare state.

"Do you realize what kind of liberal you sound like? You want us to keep dumping money into a program that hasn't proven to keep us safer. And then you follow the fear tactics to anyone who would disagree with the way it's being handled. Liberals do that with education, health care, the economy, and the poor. 'Keep throwing money at it and government will make it better.' You understand our politicians only screw those things up, but then you expect those same politicians to manage the affairs of other countries?!"

Philhelm
01-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Isolationism requires an economic component, or it simply isn't isolationism. I'm preaching to the choir though. It's just frustrating when people willfully ignore facts. But then, the public schools did a fine job instilling the idea that every idea under the sun is an opinion. That's your opinion, blah blah blah. Nevermind the fact that even when considering opinions, some are more objectively valuable than others.