PDA

View Full Version : Military conducts training in skies over Los Angeles

ZanZibar
01-27-2012, 08:52 AM
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/01/25/lapd-and-special-forces-conduct-military-maneuvers-in-the-skies-above-downtown-la/

bolil
01-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I posted this aswell... Freaky stuff man. Why are they training in LA, does this not violate posse comitatus, or at least threaten it? Oh thats right we are in eternal war.

oyarde
01-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I posted this aswell... Freaky stuff man. Why are they training in LA, does this not violate posse comitatus, or at least threaten it? Oh thats right we are in eternal war. I do not think any training would be in violation.

bolil
01-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Yes, I reread and to violate they must be quartered on private property w/o consent. It just seems to me that this kind of stuff is the first step in that direction. What exactly are they training for? It says in the article that they were marking insertion points... for what? (rhetorical).

Philhelm
01-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I don't see this story as an issue of concern.

Philhelm
01-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes, I reread and to violate they must be quartered on private property w/o consent. It just seems to me that this kind of stuff is the first step in that direction. What exactly are they training for? It says in the article that they were marking insertion points... for what? (rhetorical).

It said that they were training for urban maneuvers, so they conducted the training over L.A. I don't think this is close to violation of posse comitatus. Besides, if we are to have martial law, it will be from militarized law enforcement, not the military.

oyarde
01-27-2012, 12:44 PM
In my neck of the woods , they usually put something in the local newspaper just prior to any big , unusual training . It will usually include the days , times (if late evening hours will be utilized ) , what branch of service and maybe where they will be deployed to .

Reason
01-27-2012, 01:08 PM
dun dun dun

luctor-et-emergo
01-27-2012, 01:11 PM
The Posse Comitatus Act is the United States federal law (18 U.S.C. § 1385) that was passed on June 18, 1878, after the end of Reconstruction. Its intent (in concert with the Insurrection Act of 1807) was to limit the powers of local governments and law enforcement agencies from using federal military personnel to enforce the laws of the land. Contrary to popular belief, the Act does not prohibit members of the Army from exercising state law enforcement, police, or peace officer powers that maintain "law and order"; it simply requires that any orders to do so must originate with the United States Constitution or Act of Congress.

The statute only addresses the US Army and the US Air Force. It does not refer to, and thus does not implicitly apply to nor restrict units of the National Guard under federal authority from acting in a law enforcement capacity within the United States. The Navy and Marine Corps are prohibited by a Department of Defense directive, (self-regulation,) not by the Act itself.[1][2] Although it is a military force,[3] the U.S. Coast Guard, which now operates under the Department of Homeland Security, is also not covered by the Posse Comitatus Act.
(wikipedia)

kasjun
01-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Well, I will sleep better tonite knowing they can fly over Los Angeles..... Just a good thing they didn't snarl up the freeways. ;-)

Diurdi
01-27-2012, 01:18 PM
It's quite reasonable to train, when possible, at the actual area that you have to be prepared to defend.