PDA

View Full Version : guy says candidates must stay in to dilute Ron Paul.

wgadget
01-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Someonefinally actually came out and said it. Said if the others drop out Ron will have too many delegates. Heard on Bill Bennett show.

Edit: Could be Weekly Standard...I get them mixed up. :rolleyes:

randomname
01-27-2012, 07:02 AM
I wonder if this the reason Santorum is still in the race, other than waiting for Gingrich to inevitably self destruct.

It's definitely the reason the media hasn't really vetted him.

wsc321
01-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks to me like this is going to be a two-man race soon: Romney vs. Paul. Santorum is not a serious candidate (philosophically or in terms of money/organization), and Newt could "flame out" quickly (does he really think he'll be elected based on his perpetually condescending attitude?)

Granted, the PTB might find a way to keep the "other two" candidates in the race, but I'd rather Romney win Florida, Newt implode, and Santorum's candidacy start withering. Make the Republicans have to choose between Romney and Paul.

Varin
01-27-2012, 07:19 AM
I actually think the others are in to win it not just to spoil it for Paul. I know I am a bit weird like that.

squarepusher
01-27-2012, 07:20 AM
is this is what is going on? i wonder, it was weird how there were so many candidates still

BrittanySligar
01-27-2012, 07:20 AM
I vehemently disagree with this. Neo-Cons will go to Romney before they go to Ron. Look at the Paul vs. Romney head to head polls.

wgadget
01-27-2012, 07:23 AM
They're pushing Santorum again in a big way since last night's debate.

tbone717
Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks to me like this is going to be a two-man race soon: Romney vs. Paul. Santorum is not a serious candidate (philosophically or in terms of money/organization), and Newt could "flame out" quickly (does he really think he'll be elected based on his perpetually condescending attitude?)

Granted, the PTB might find a way to keep the "other two" candidates in the race, but I'd rather Romney win Florida, Newt implode, and Santorum's candidacy start withering. Make the Republicans have to choose between Romney and Paul.

I agree with you, and have always thought that this was the inevitable reality of the situation. The Newt resurge caught many of us by surprise though. I am guessing that it was a last ditch attempt by that wing of the party to prop up another candidate. The latest polls however, show that as quickly as Newt has risen again, he will fall again. He has dropped as much as 10 points in the last week or so. If the downward trend continues between now and the 31st, I expect to see Newt come in the mid to low 20's in FL, which could finish off any surge that he had.

The key to this all playing out the way we want, i.e. a Paul vs Romney matchup, is the four caucus states. It is time for Paul to break through and win a couple states. If he is able to do so, then I think we can go into Super Tuesday with a one on one matchup, even if Newt and/or Santorum are still hanging around for whatever reason.

wgadget
I vehemently disagree with this. Neo-Cons will go to Romney before they go to Ron. Look at the Paul vs. Romney head to head polls.

The point was that at the convention, with it down to just Ron and Romney, Ron Paul would have a huge number of delegates, which they want to avoid.

Carole
01-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Someonefinally actually came out and said it. Said if the others drop out Ron will have too many delegates. Heard on Bill Bennett show.

This has always been the plan. I'll be curious to see what the payoff to Santorum will be after all this is over. I'm sure it will be a very nice reward. :D

speciallyblend
01-27-2012, 07:28 AM
they have to stay in so obama can win.

wgadget
01-27-2012, 07:28 AM
In tribute to Rick Santorum...

http://veggietales.wikia.com/wiki/Larry_the_Cucumber

tbone717
01-27-2012, 07:30 AM

But that is today's polls. Which could very well be much different a week from now. This is by far, the most fluid race that I have ever been involved in and I have been at this 25 years. The reason being is that the average GOP voters have not been able to embrace one candidate, because there hasn't been anyone in the race showing them that they are the right candidate for them to choose. We have a segment of the electorate that has moved from Bachmann to Perry to Perry to Cain to Newt to Santorum and now back to Newt. Romney offers nothing to inspire the average voter which is why he hasn't run away with this all, despite being the "heir apparent", and Paul is viewed by many as a risky choice as he has not been able to connect with the average voter in a big way.

In order for Paul to achieve success in this race, which is winning the nomination, he needs to position himself as a viable, safe, positive choice and not merely as an "oh well I guess I will vote for Paul now" choice. He is beginning to do so in his rhetoric, speaking more to the positives of what he will do rather than what he won't do. The next week or so will show us if he has been successful in that positioning or not.

skytoucher
01-27-2012, 07:32 AM

I don't think that the main reason is to dilute Paul on delegates. IMO it's to limit Paul's MSM exposure.

Does anyone think any other candidate wants to attend a 3 man debate where one of the 3 is Ron Paul? For those who've followed Paul a long time know it would be game over. If you think he's strong in a 4 person debate then just wait cause you aint seen nothing yet! The establishment is very aware of this.

musicmax
01-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Please learn what a "neo-con" is.

wgadget
01-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I don't think that the main reason is to dilute Paul on delegates. IMO it's to limit Paul's MSM exposure.

Does anyone think any other candidate wants to attend a 3 man debate where one of the 3 is Ron Paul? For those who've followed Paul a long time know it would be game over. If you think he's strong in a 4 person debate then just wait cause you aint seen nothing yet! The establishment is very aware of this.

Just reporting what the guest on Bill Bennett's show said this morning. He even included.."And this is an important one" before he said that Ron Paul needs to be held back. The host agreed, of course.

Gary4Liberty
01-27-2012, 07:36 AM
I vehemently disagree with this. Neo-Cons will go to Romney before they go to Ron. Look at the Paul vs. Romney head to head polls. They need to keep hammering Romnuts on Romneycare. Last night it was made clear by the lawyer that Romney care is IDENTICAL to Obamacare. That point needs to be rammed home. That is the stake through the heart for Romney.

Peace&Freedom
01-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Imagine the impact of Paul finishing above Santorum in FL, after spending no money and campaigning sparingly. His momentum will be back (at least as far as supporters' morale goes), and it may be enough for Rick to finally call it quits. Once Newt flames out as well, Paul/Romney goes to Paul's favor, because 70% of the party wants an alternative, and most of that group are not neo-cons. The MSM won't be able to credibly ignore Paul anymore either.

JuicyG
01-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Santorum voters will flock to Gingrich I`m afraid. Some will go to Paul but few of them.

MsDoodahs
01-27-2012, 08:13 AM
They're pushing Santorum again in a big way since last night's debate.

Noticed this as well.

tbone717
01-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Santorum voters will flock to Gingrich I`m afraid. Some will go to Paul but few of them.

And where do they go if and when Newt falls further? That's the question that we really need to see played out.

ohgodno
01-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Froth has been Pauling really hard lately - he's really trying to eat into any support that Dr. Paul could/would get if he dropped out.

LanceK37
01-27-2012, 11:54 AM
The point was that at the convention, with it down to just Ron and Romney, Ron Paul would have a huge number of delegates, which they want to avoid.

Gingrich isn't dropping out, it won't be down to Romney and Paul.

thoughtomator
01-27-2012, 12:07 PM
I've been monitoring National Review, and it's just shocking the level of deliberate and unmistakable bias that they are maintaining at the moment. Another poll today about who won the debate, with Paul deliberately not a choice - for the second time this week.

thelaibon
01-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Assuming that Santorum drops out -- he doesn't have the finances, organization, or realistic amount of supporters to go too much further -- and it's down to 3, and then Newt fizzes away at some point hopefully soon, I would assume that most of the Gingrich supporters would vote for Paul. Gingrich has "endorsed" many of Paul's points during the debates, and given that Newt supporters are so anti-Mitt, one would assume that a large number of them would vote for Paul. Assuming Santorum exits at the same time or before Gingrich.

And we know how RP would do on stage with just little Mittens...

sailingaway
01-27-2012, 12:20 PM
I wonder if this the reason Santorum is still in the race, other than waiting for Gingrich to inevitably self destruct.

It's definitely the reason the media hasn't really vetted him.
I figured it was. Suddenly, with no logic he has money and fundraising dinners. Krist.... l was saying the same thing on Fox.

and K= Chrystal was part of those behind the Wilsonian/Neoconservative Movement video ads against Ron.

Article V
01-27-2012, 12:24 PM

Edit: Could be Weekly Standard...I get them mixed up. :rolleyes:You mean Bill Kristol of The Weekly Standard? He also said that just before South Carolina while on the panel of Fox News' Special Report to which co-panelist Charles Krauthammer hammered him, saying something like "I'm trying to give objective analysis; you're trying to create an outcome."

dfalken
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
I really don't think we want the two other stooges to drop out. Romney is destroying us head to head and if the other 2 drop out the media will never mention ron's name again, there will be no more debates, romney will be annointed the wiiner by the media and the zombies will go back to the regularly scheduled programming of american idol.

JamesButabi
01-27-2012, 12:27 PM
If it is a 2 man race, the debates will stop. Mark my words.

sailingaway
01-27-2012, 12:29 PM
If it is a 2 man race, the debates will stop. Mark my words.

Yeah, but Ron has a better chance at delegates.

wgadget
01-27-2012, 12:33 PM
You mean Bill Kristol of The Weekly Standard? He also said that just before South Carolina while on the panel of Fox News' Special Report to which co-panelist Charles Krauthammer hammered him, saying something like "I'm trying to give objective analysis; you're trying to create an outcome."

No, it wasn't Bill Kristol..I would have recognized his voice. I'll go see if I can find the interview.

wgadget
01-27-2012, 12:35 PM
You mean Bill Kristol of The Weekly Standard? He also said that just before South Carolina while on the panel of Fox News' Special Report to which co-panelist Charles Krauthammer hammered him, saying something like "I'm trying to give objective analysis; you're trying to create an outcome."

No, it wasn't Bill Kristol..I would have recognized his voice. I'll go see if I can find the interview.

It was this guy:

h xxp://www.weeklystandard.com/author/matthew-continetti

I guess the podcast will be up in a day or two.

Gimme Some Truth
01-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I actually think the others are in to win it not just to spoil it for Paul. I know I am a bit weird like that.

Agreed. Sanctorum's strategy seems similar to Paul's to me. Wait till Newt flames out and pitch yourself as the true "anti-romney". And, worse case scenario, have a deep impact on the future path of the Party (which, in Rick's case, basically boils down to going after the homoterrorists)

wgadget
01-27-2012, 01:15 PM
But Santy doesn't have the money or the organization to go much further...so. And then there is the matter of not being on all the states' ballots.