PDA

View Full Version : Were there really 3000-5000 people at the Pholodalphia rally?

Perry
11-11-2007, 07:59 PM
I read somewhere that Paul spoke to between 3000 & 5000 people at the Philadelphia rally. Is this accurate? Anyone seen any videos of this?
Sounds amazing if this is really the case.

EDIT:
Sorry about the massacre in the title. I don't know what happened there.:p

KewlRonduderules
11-11-2007, 08:01 PM
I read somewhere that Paul spoke to between 3000 & 5000 people at the Philadelphia rally. Is this accurate? Anyone seen any videos of this?

EDIT:

To answer your question- YES!

;)

Sematary
11-11-2007, 08:06 PM

EDIT:

Yes, it's true.

smhbbag
11-11-2007, 08:09 PM
I went to an Obama rally that had sold 4000 tickets, plus walk-ins.

Ron Paul in Philly was a good bit bigger than that. I've been saying 5 or 6,000.

KoozieChaz
11-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I was there, and EASILY that many. It was huge.

inibo
11-11-2007, 08:47 PM
I was there. I would say 2,000 minimum. To find out it was 5,000 would not surprise me.

http://openqbl.org/preview/mall2.jpg

The area in the red rectangle was where the crowd was. The lower left hand quadrant was not as dense. It had people seated--some disabled vets and such. The other three quadrants were packed, standing room only except right around the stage. Based on the park service map it is an area of roughly 80,000 sq feet, three fourths of which was almost elbow to elbow. You figure it out. However many it was it was way more than the 1,500 CNN reported.

Primbs
11-11-2007, 08:48 PM
There were lots of people with lots of flags, signs. The pictures don't do justice. There were more people than the pictures show.

A sea of people waving Ron Paul signs was really cool.

Perry
11-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Amazing! ...and yet just a small example of what is to come. Sure hope some video of this rally surfaces. I live to see these in their entirety.

freedominnumbers
11-11-2007, 09:38 PM
There were at least a dozen cameras floating around that I saw. I'm sure someone besides me is putting some up or has already.

Thom1776
11-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Sematary and I put it between 4 and 5 thousand; probably closer to 4,000.

specsaregood
11-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Sematary and I put it between 4 and 5 thousand; probably closer to 4,000.

And you know the best part?

I wore my new Ron Paul sweatshirt I bought from a vendor outside the rally to home depot today.

TWO DIFFERENT old guys (60+) stopped me and said, "I hope that guy wins" and "That is a damn fine candidate."

Neither of them knew about yesterday's Rally (this happened about 15miles from the Rally site)

Needless to say, I asked for their vote for Ron Paul, they said, "He already has it".

So the Rally certainly did not represent all the support for Ron Paul in the surrounding area.

robert4rp08
11-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I've been dying to get a Ron Paul sweatshirt. I didn't see the vendors outside of the rally. :(

krott5333
11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
I've been dying to get a Ron Paul sweatshirt. I didn't see the vendors outside of the rally. :(

they were on the other side of 5th, right across the street.

guntherg16
11-12-2007, 06:34 AM

EDIT:

See the video from the OP in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=35206

It gives a good idea of the size of the crowd. I felt the ground shaking several times. I believe we were standing on the roof of the parking garage below. I'm glad the thing was well designed.

TooConservative
11-12-2007, 08:30 AM
We really should have a better way to count these rallies.

Repeatedly, we have claims that Ron Paul drew 50% or 200% more to a rally than what is reported by the media.

Talk is cheap. Photos that prove our turnout can't be denied.

Supporters can use high-quality cameras from high ground or a tall building to document our numbers. It's not that hard.

Let the media argue with our photographic proof of our numbers.

parocks
11-12-2007, 10:50 AM
http://www.nbc13.com/gulfcoastwest/vtm/news.apx.-content-articles-VTM-2007-11-12-0007.html

freesoul
11-12-2007, 10:56 AM

I was with the Montgomery county meetup group and we were giving away tshirts and sweatshirts for donations on Arch St between 5th & 4th, then we moved to 5th St around noon
:D
http://ronpaul.meetup.com/54/

specsaregood
11-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Getting an accurate headcount in outdoor venue where people can come in from any direction, move around, spread out, etc is impossible.

So that leaves us with this: Either WE define the numbers, or we let the media define the numbers. I'm gonna stick with 5000, it is believable to anybody that was there and this is the number the campaign went with.

jaybone
11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
I'd say 4-6K is plausible,
so 5K is probably pretty close.

I got there early, and estimated that about 3,000 patriots were there before me.
After standing around for 20 minutes or so, I took off my hood (damn it was cold) and looked around. I was amazed at how the crowd filled in.

I kept looking up at all the tall buildings around the Mall, HOPING LIKE HELL that the campaign put somebody up on the roof of one of them to get an aerial. Without an aerial, there is no way to tell for certain. That would have made a hell of a picture.

Oh yeah, I made a point to thank a few of the vets in attendance for their sacrifices.
Let's just say that vets are a tight group,
some of them may not be very internet savvy
but they talk with other vets frequently,
they know the value and the cost of liberty,
and they sure as hell are not afraid to vocalize thier opinions.
I think the veterans and active duty military folks are going to give us a HUGE push.
Our heroes in uniform could and should be the face of the campaign.
Who is going to tell a vet that Ron is 'unelectable' , or 'crazy', or not patriotic? Nobody that's who.

inibo
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/news-desk/2007/11/12/ron-paul-finds-fans-in-cradle-of-liberty.html

Ron Paul is on a roll. After a record-breaking online fundraising week, the libertarian Republican candidate for the presidency entertained a crowd of 5,000 in the Old City section of Philadelphia on Saturday.

Yeah, it felt like it, too.

BizmanUSA
11-12-2007, 09:51 PM
See the video from the OP in this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=35206

It gives a good idea of the size of the crowd. I felt the ground shaking several times. I believe we were standing on the roof of the parking garage below. I'm glad the thing was well designed.

UNLESS you were well into the Vets for Peace memorial display you were not over the garage - the garage is over the Market St. side about half way to the little driveway/sidewalk from Fifth Street I know this firsthand.

As far as crowd size I agree with the ONLY TRUE WAY is to have an aerial shot. What I recall next to the stage was a scissors platform lift but I did not see anyone in it.

Doing many rallies for years MBG from all the clips and pix posted I would say 3000 at the most and really this is a GOOD thing - If the rally would have gone as originally planned there would have been a real good chance of a bigger turn-out and with a larger MSM presence .

I was of the understanding that the rally was to be a 3 fold rally/media event - bring fresh blood RP supporters to the fold, lure the MSM in a big way and bring as many RP supporters as possible together. Many RP supporters showed, a few outlets from MSM showed but How Many of new supporters did we pick up?

Not bad but we will do better without interference

I guess National decided to rotate the planned event 90 degrees so not to head from Arch to Market Streets and go for the wide and not deep look (Visitors Center toward the Quaker Meeting House) to save costs.

BizmanUSA

CurtisLow
11-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I felt the ground shaking several times..

I did too. weird.. :confused:

Sematary
11-12-2007, 10:52 PM
I did too. weird.. :confused:

The parks service guy told me we were directly on top of a parking garage.

RobS
11-12-2007, 11:08 PM
We were definitely on top of the garage, the entrance to the garage was maybe 100 ft from where we were rallying. Dr. Paul actually left right by the garage entrance.

specsaregood
11-12-2007, 11:26 PM
Doing many rallies for years MBG from all the clips and pix posted I would say 3000 at the most and really this is a GOOD thing - If the rally would have gone as originally planned there would have been a real good chance of a bigger turn-out and with a larger MSM presence .

I was of the understanding that the rally was to be a 3 fold rally/media event - bring fresh blood RP supporters to the fold, lure the MSM in a big way and bring as many RP supporters as possible together. Many RP supporters showed, a few outlets from MSM showed but How Many of new supporters did we pick up?

Not bad but we will do better without interference

BizmanUSA

Why all the hate? Because your friend is no longer the state coordinator? I've seen a few posts by you about the rally and you only want to talk it down. Why?

It went off well, there were well over 3k people and there were MANY that were not hardcore Ron Paul supporters there (I know this for a FACT because I circulated through the crowd asking people).

Were you there? If you weren't there, then I'd hold you biased judgment in question.

Hurricane Bruiser
11-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Many RP supporters showed, a few outlets from MSM showed but How Many of new supporters did we pick up?

BizmanUSA

Well I know I overheard several people on the sidewalk after the rally talking to someone else that they HAD to find out who Ron Paul was. It DOES make an impact albeit hard to measure.