PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone Else Notice Something Odd w/ Santorum's First Lady Answer?

BuddyRey
01-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Perhaps I just misheard him, but I could swear he said at first that he had 7 kids, and then later said it was 8.

BuddyRey
01-26-2012, 09:22 PM
No one else caught it?

The One
01-26-2012, 09:24 PM
They did have eight (in a sense)...only 7 are currently living. Honestly, I have to say Santorum gave the best answer on that question, and I think it was sincere.

With that said, google Santorum. :D

Drex
01-26-2012, 09:25 PM
One was a stillborn I believe and he counted him/her

Bruno
01-26-2012, 09:26 PM
They did have eight (in a sense)...only 7 are currently living. Honestly, I have to say Santorum gave the best answer on that question, and I think it was sincere.

I stopped listening when he started speaking.

But having heard his response at the Christian forum in Des Moines, I believe he loved that child but uses it to pander to people for votes.

The One
01-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I stopped listening when he started speaking.

But having heard his response at the Christian forum in Des Moines, I believe he loved that child but uses it to pander to people for votes.

The answer was speaking to why he believes his wife would make a good First Lady. He really didn't talk about the child.

Kylie
01-26-2012, 09:35 PM
That was a good answer, it tugged at the heartstrings. I believe it was a very heartfelt answer too, as you could see his eyes well up a couple of times when speaking.

I think the dude is probably a truly good person, and he does want what he thinks is best for the country, he just forgot about the whole "pursuit of happiness" clause that says it doesn't just have to be his way of happiness, it's whatever way you deem that doesn't intrude on others' ways of being happy. That, and he's all about fucking up Iran. I'm not digging that one bit.

The Goat
01-26-2012, 09:50 PM
I believe if I sat down with him and talked we wouldn't agree on just about anything. He is a "treat the symptom" kinda guy. He believes that what ever the US does is right no matter the consequence are.

Kylie
01-26-2012, 09:55 PM
I believe if I sat down with him and talked we wouldn't agree on just about anything. He is a "treat the symptom" kinda guy. He believes that what ever the US does is right no matter the consequence are.

Oh very much so. But I do believe that HE believes what he is doing is right.

And that is just as dangerous as doing what is wrong for the right reasons.

Bruno
01-26-2012, 09:56 PM
The answer was speaking to why he believes his wife would make a good First Lady. He really didn't talk about the child.

I was referring to how he answered in the forum I mentioned.

pauliticalfan
01-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Didn't Newt say that Calista "wasn't necessarily better" than the others? Personally, I thought that was a horrible thing to say. She's your (third) wife dude!

specsaregood
01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
That was a good answer, it tugged at the heartstrings. I believe it was a very heartfelt answer too, as you could see his eyes well up a couple of times when speaking.

I think the dude is probably a truly good person, and he does want what he thinks is best for the country, he just forgot about the whole "pursuit of happiness" clause that says it doesn't just have to be his way of happiness, it's whatever way you deem that doesn't intrude on others' ways of being happy. That, and he's all about fucking up Iran. I'm not digging that one bit.

Sorry but any asshole like Santorum that ran around both IA and SC telling voters that Dr. Paul is pro-choice is not truly a good person or sincere on the subject. He is a panderer and a duplicitous pool of santorum.

steph3n
01-26-2012, 10:08 PM
He forgets to mention that his wife was the nurse...at an abortion clinic.

The Goat
01-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Calista just figured out she is replaceable. LMFAO

Didn't Newt say that Calista "wasn't necessarily better" than the others? Personally, I thought that was a horrible thing to say. She's your (third) wife dude!

donnay
01-26-2012, 10:23 PM
From this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?345147-Alam-Colmes-Santorum-and-Wife-slept-w-their-dead-child..then-took-it-home-to-meet-family/page2&highlight=Rick+Santorum+son+Gabriel

Santorum and his wife, Karen Garver Santorum, have seven children. One child was diagnosed with Trisomy 18, a serious genetic disorder.[120] In 1996, a son, Gabriel, was born prematurely and lived for only two hours. While pregnant, Karen Santorum developed a life-threatening intrauterine infection and a fever that reached nearly 105 degrees. She went into labor when she was 20 weeks pregnant and allowed doctors to give her Oxytocin to speed the birth.[121]

Karen Santorum wrote a book about the experience: Letters to Gabriel: The True Story of Gabriel Michael Santorum.[122] In it, she writes that the couple brought the deceased infant home from the hospital and presented the dead child to their living children as "your brother Gabriel" and slept with the body overnight before returning it to the hospital. The anecdote was also written about by Michael Sokolove in a 2005 New York Times Magazine story on Santorum.[1] Karen is also the author of a book on etiquette for children.[123]

Wiki has since removed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Santorum

Personally, it is heart breaking and I cannot imagine the pain the family went through, but I think it is very odd that they brought the dead baby home from the hospital and slept with it. Sorry if that is being crude but Santorum's wife wrote it in her book.

2orb
01-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Since you mention it, here is a column that appeared a few days ago and outlines her background...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12022/1204879-149-0.stm

SisCyn
01-26-2012, 10:41 PM
From this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?345147-Alam-Colmes-Santorum-and-Wife-slept-w-their-dead-child..then-took-it-home-to-meet-family/page2&highlight=Rick+Santorum+son+Gabriel

Santorum and his wife, Karen Garver Santorum, have seven children. One child was diagnosed with Trisomy 18, a serious genetic disorder.[120] In 1996, a son, Gabriel, was born prematurely and lived for only two hours. While pregnant, Karen Santorum developed a life-threatening intrauterine infection and a fever that reached nearly 105 degrees. She went into labor when she was 20 weeks pregnant and allowed doctors to give her Oxytocin to speed the birth.[121]

Karen Santorum wrote a book about the experience: Letters to Gabriel: The True Story of Gabriel Michael Santorum.[122] In it, she writes that the couple brought the deceased infant home from the hospital and presented the dead child to their living children as "your brother Gabriel" and slept with the body overnight before returning it to the hospital. The anecdote was also written about by Michael Sokolove in a 2005 New York Times Magazine story on Santorum.[1] Karen is also the author of a book on etiquette for children.[123]

Wiki has since removed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Santorum

Personally, it is heart breaking and I cannot imagine the pain the family went through, but I think it is very odd that they brought the dead baby home from the hospital and slept with it. Sorry if that is being crude but Santorum's wife wrote it in her book.

From Wikipedia:

He has described contraception as "a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be,"[138

In 2008 at the age of 48, Karen gave birth to her eighth child Isabella, who was diagnosed with Trisomy 18 Edwards syndrome, a serious genetic disorder, often caused by the advanced age of the mother, with only a 10% chance of survival past the first year of life.[160][161][162] Santorum characterized her condition as "similar to Down's Syndrome, but much more severe."[citation needed]

I've seen this type of thing happen in another Catholic family. The mother keeps attempting to have children until it is no longer physically possible and the last one pays the price. Too bad she didn't practice responsible birth control.

musicmax
01-26-2012, 10:58 PM

He called it a "nursery".

PursuePeace
01-26-2012, 10:58 PM

That actually doesn't bother me. It sounds very odd, of course, but people deal with grief in different ways.

What TRULY bothers me, is the fact that he went through that, he held his own dead child in his arms and yet seemingly has no thought or concern of Middle Eastern mothers who have to do the same with their children. No thought of just sending our soldiers into harm's way. What about THEIR mothers and their loved ones?? You cannot be pro-life AND pro-war. It's hypocrisy of the worst kind.

donnay
01-26-2012, 11:00 PM
That actually doesn't bother me. It sounds very odd, of course, but people deal with grief in different ways.

What TRULY bothers me, is the fact that he went through that, he held his own dead child in his arms and yet seemingly has no thought or concern of Middle Eastern mothers who have to do the same with their children. You cannot be pro-life AND pro-war. It's hypocrisy of the worst kind.

I totally agree! +rep

musicmax
01-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Perhaps I just misheard him, but I could swear he said at first that he had 7 kids, and then later said it was 8.

He said something along the lines of they had brought 8 children into the world and 7 are still with them (a reference to the child who was born prematurely and lived for two hours).

musicmax
01-26-2012, 11:05 PM

That was his way of telling the other women in the audience that "nudge nudge wink wink I'm still a swinger!"

specsaregood
01-26-2012, 11:09 PM
//

Indy Vidual
01-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Perhaps I just misheard him, but I could swear he said at first that he had 7....

So there are 7 little Santorum's being taught how to "keep us free?" :eek:

donnay
01-27-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't find it odd at all; seems perfectly reasonable and natural response. I certainly wouldn't want to judge.

Sorry if that seems judgmental, but the fact of the matter is I wouldn't have had an opinion on it had they not made it public. I think it is odd.