PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich, Paul To Benefit If Santorum Drops Out

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 03:57 PM
MELBOURNE, Florida -- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and Texas Representative Ron Paul are most likely to benefit if Rick Santorum drops out of the the Republican Presidential Primary race.

According to a Public Policy Poll of likely Florida Republican voters, Newt Gingrich would receive the lion's share of Santorum voters (15%) , followed by Paul (12%), then Romney (8%) in a narrowed down field. Twenty-Four percent of Santorum voters were unsure who they would vote for in a narrowed down field.

http://government.brevardtimes.com/2012/01/gingrich-paul-to-benefit-if-santorum.html

swissaustrian
01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
How on earth can somebody support Santorum and name Paul as the second choice?
Values voters?

cdc482
01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
That looks really good actually. Hope he drops out soon.

alucard13mmfmj
01-26-2012, 04:04 PM
makes sense. santorum is an evangelical candidate... and ron paul is the only true evangelical left in the race. they wont go to romney and they wont go to newt (othewise they wouldve went to him already).

like i said in the other threads invovling santorum, imma miss him and his antics.

tbone717
01-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Values voters?

You need to remember that the large majority of voters pay very little attention to the race. The nomination is a glorified beauty contest. People vote for a candidate for a myriad of reasons from overall policy, to single issues, to personal appearance, to likability, to electability, to the color of their ties. Very, very few people will acutally take the time to study all of the candidate's positions and make their decisions based on that.

lakefx
01-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Values voters?

Combination of ill-informed, values voters, beauty contest judges, sheep, underdoggers, etc. This is also the same state that voted for Buchanan by accident and brought us Bush. Thank you Florida.

But yes, they are such polar opposites it's completely nuts.

01-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Values voters?

Evangelical pro life one issue voters probably. There are a lot of them.

Lord Xar
01-26-2012, 04:13 PM
He ain't going anywhere. He is there to gate-keep against Ron Paul.

Article V
01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Values voters?Because it's not always about issues, sometimes it's about personalities. Regardless of what he is, Santorum seems honest and principled, much like Ron Paul is. Santorum seems to want the best for his country rather than simply wanting to be President, much like Ron Paul.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. For many voters, voting is an emotional response to the internal question: "Am I safe if I trust you?"

For us, the question resolves us for Ron Paul in such a visceral way that we could never again vote for any of the other candidates. However, that emotional question can also cut a lot of other different ways: it can lead one to vote for whomever they believe will beat Obama (because "am I safe if I trust you...when you say you can beat Obama?"); it can lead one to turn away from Ron Paul due to foreign policy (because "am I safe if I trust you...and you allow Iran to have nukes?"); it can lead one to vote insincerely for a media choice over a personal choice (because "am I safe if I trust you...when everyone else seems to think you have no chance and that a vote for you is a wasted vote?"), etc.

This is why it's imperative that Ron Paul reach out to voters not only in a logical way (facts, figures, voting records, budgets, plans, stats, etc.) but also in an emotional way (empathy, confidence, moxie, etc.).

donnay
01-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Values voters?

I know that is hard to wrap mt mind around.

randomname
01-26-2012, 04:30 PM
You need to remember that the large majority of voters pay very little attention to the race. The nomination is a glorified beauty contest. People vote for a candidate for a myriad of reasons from overall policy, to single issues, to personal appearance, to likability, to electability, to the color of their ties. Very, very few people will acutally take the time to study all of the candidate's positions and make their decisions based on that.

Looks to me like lots of people even vote for a candidate even disregarding overal policy and any single issue, and just based on who's "surging"

eduardo89
01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Combination of ill-informed, values voters, beauty contest judges, sheep, underdoggers, etc. This is also the same state that voted for Buchanan by accident and brought us Bush. Thank you Florida.

But yes, they are such polar opposites it's completely nuts.

Isn't that good?