PDA

View Full Version : USDA Bans Whole Milk in Schools

farreri
01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
One more reason schools need to be private.

USDA Bans Whole Milk in Schools. Rolls Out Major School Lunch Reforms.

Whole milk just got expelled from school. White bread is up for suspension.

On Wednesday, the healthy school lunch movement earned a $3.2 billion dollar raise, and with it a new set of mandates for cafeterias nationwide. The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced a federally funded, five-year plan to improve cafeteria food and reduce childhood obesity.

Take a look at school lunches around the world.

The new guidelines, impacting about 32 American million kids, will guarantee more fruits, veggies and whole grains on the lunch table. Full-fat milk is off the menu, meaning kids will choose from low-fat or fat-free. Schools are also responsible for proper portion sizes. And those outsourced vending machines on school property stuffed with potato chips and candy bars? Those will be getting a revamp with healthier options too.

Over the next three years, schools across the country -from Kindergarten through twelfth grade- will be required to implement these changes.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/usda-bans-whole-milk-schools-rolls-major-school-184500153.html

Gary4Liberty
01-26-2012, 01:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmOzSNKqjaY

donnay
01-26-2012, 01:56 PM
SIGH! If anyone did the research on this, whole milk has the good saturated fat needed for ones health. Nevertheless, if they did further research they would see raw milk is the best!

BuddyRey
01-26-2012, 01:57 PM
My prediction: for every instance of childhood obesity these busybodies actually fix, there'll be ten kids who aren't overweight at all who get stripped of their favorite lunchtime beverage for no reason whatsoever.

I remember this was a big part of why I hated school as a kid and still hate it today. A few people screw up and the school's answer is to punish everybody. Despite what they say, that's almost never how it works in the real (free market) world.

Kluge
01-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Isn't it pretty tough for the body to absorb fat-soluble vitamins without fat in the diet? Not that school lunches have many vitamins/nutrients in the first place...

Nastynate
01-26-2012, 02:34 PM
It was hard enough to stay awake through school with that sugar.

donnay
01-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Isn't it pretty tough for the body to absorb fat-soluble vitamins without fat in the diet? Not that school lunches have many vitamins/nutrients in the first place...

Especially Vitamin D.

Acala
01-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Hahahahahaha! At some point, this government intrusion into our food supply will stop. Because we will all be dead.

Gary4Liberty
01-26-2012, 02:42 PM
when I was in school i needed every calorie I could get. I ate once a day plus milk breaks.

ItsTime
01-26-2012, 02:45 PM
School lunches are worse than a Happy Meal. The milk was the best thing in it. Are they also going to make it so parents can not give their children whole milk in their packed lunches? :toady:

eduardo89
01-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Are you kidding me? Tomatoe paste is full of vitamins.

Demigod
01-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Why don't they just put a gym class every day before classes start if they are worried about fat kids.

This is a good way for kids to lose all the negative energy and get the blood pumping before classes would start.

Kluge
01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Are you kidding me? Tomatoe paste is full of vitamins.

Mmmm....tomato paste and ketchup open sandwich on enriched white bread with a sprinkling of artificial fat-free cheese product and some bits of cured "meat" on top.

That's what we fancy Americans call "pizza" in our cafeterias.

eduardo89
01-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Mmmm....tomato paste and ketchup open sandwich on enriched white bread with a sprinkling of artificial fat-free cheese product and some bits of cured "meat" on top.

I see every food group included there. Stop complaining! Be grateful the state gives your children high quality food to match the excellent education they receive.

Demigod
01-26-2012, 02:54 PM

American pizza is x10 times better than Italian

ItsTime
01-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Just another example of unelected officials creating law. Please give the power back to the towns.

smithtg
01-26-2012, 02:57 PM
my kids love whole milk. Im lucky to live near a farm that sells unhomoginized milk. We drink it often. Im lucky that I can afford a private school too that actully feeds the kids decent stuff

eduardo89
01-26-2012, 03:01 PM
American pizza is x10 times better than Italian

That almost deserves a -rep.

DogLover2113
01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
This kind of parent intrusion turns my stomach. We better watch how much we accept when it comes to this type of thing. It would not surprise me if someday the feds started fining parents for having a fat kid.

Invi
01-26-2012, 03:14 PM
I never really thought about this, but I guess I had thought this was already the case. I remember my schools only serving skim milk. ._.
Wouldn't drink it because it tasted like water to me.

seraphson
01-26-2012, 03:19 PM
I see every food group included there. Stop complaining! Be grateful the state gives your children high quality food to match the excellent education they receive.

i c wut u did thr. ALSO! Pizza in now a vegetable! So all is well! Doubleplusgood I might add!

donnay
01-26-2012, 03:28 PM
School lunches are worse than a Happy Meal. The milk was the best thing in it. Are they also going to make it so parents can not give their children whole milk in their packed lunches? :toady:

Cafeteria chaos: School bans lunches from home (http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/12/6455349-cafeteria-chaos-school-bans-lunches-from-homehttp://)

Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chicago-school-bans-homemade-lunches-latest-national-food-20110411-092947-380.htmlhttp://)

Kluge
01-26-2012, 03:37 PM

Unless he lives in NYC, it almost definitely does.

Lishy
01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Am I the only one who loves Skim Milk over regular milk and whole milk?

That said, this is ridiculous. Shouldn't this be a state issue?

DogLover2113
01-26-2012, 03:43 PM

I too like skim milk best. No it should not even be a state issue. It should be a parent issue. But state is better then feds.

RockEnds
01-26-2012, 03:54 PM
I can't stand whole milk. I can't drink it. But I'm not afraid of the fat. I like skim milk and real butter.

dannno
01-26-2012, 03:56 PM

When I was drinking pasteurized milk from cows who were fed hormones to trick their body into thinking they were pregnant year around so they could be milked year around, causing constant friction and blood and puss to be excreted from the nipples and causing the farmers to then have to feed the cows anti-biotics, all drugs which wound up in the milk... Ya, I found skim milk to be the tastiest, personally, not sure why.

When I drank organic milk at my friend's house, I found whole milk to be the best. Apparently they pasteurize the shit out of the big organic milk brands these days, though, so still not terribly healthy.

Raw milk, on the other hand, is very healthy and far better in whole form.

heavenlyboy34
01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
+1 I was tempted to do that...but took some deep breaths and moved on.

dannno
01-26-2012, 04:04 PM

I like eating my pizza with a knife and fork as well.

heavenlyboy34
01-26-2012, 04:09 PM
That can be practical sometimes, so I don't hold that against ya.

Demigod
01-26-2012, 04:11 PM

Whats with the hating :D

eduardo89
01-26-2012, 04:11 PM

That's how civilized people eat pizza.

ryanmkeisling
01-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Another reason the USDA needs to go away.

ryanmkeisling
01-26-2012, 04:14 PM
When I was drinking pasteurized milk from cows who were fed hormones to trick their body into thinking they were pregnant year around so they could be milked year around, causing constant friction and blood and puss to be excreted from the nipples and causing the farmers to then have to feed the cows anti-biotics, all drugs which wound up in the milk... Ya, I found skim milk to be the tastiest, personally, not sure why.

When I drank organic milk at my friend's house, I found whole milk to be the best. Apparently they pasteurize the shit out of the big organic milk brands these days, though, so still not terribly healthy.

Raw milk, on the other hand, is very healthy and far better in whole form.

This^^^ Raw milk is natural medicine.

Acala
01-26-2012, 04:35 PM

It should be a United Nations mandate enforced by a Blue-Helmeted soldier in every lunchroom. Otherwise, kids will get fat. And fat kids will not fit in the UN peacekeeper uniforms when they grow up

donnay
01-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Why bother drinking milk at all? Whole milk, preferably raw milk is the only way to drink milk!

PaulStandsTall
01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Vitamins A&D are fat soluble and if you remove the fat you remove these vitamins, period.

When the milk has been processed industrially to fit these government's recommendations it will have none. So they put back in the "vitamins" in the form of Vitamin A Palmitate and vitamin D2 (plant form)*

Neither are vitamins, they are precursors and the ability of your body to convert into actual vitamins is on an individual basis.

*Some processors are using D3 now but most still use D2

Lishy
01-26-2012, 05:24 PM
That's how civilized people eat pizza.
Donald. Trump.

Danke
01-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Unless he lives in NYC Chicago, it almost definitely does.

Fixed.

Mckarnin
01-26-2012, 05:45 PM
The best way to keep our kids thin is protein, healthy fat and veggies. No kid should be drinking low fat milk but pulling refined carbs wouldn't hurt.

LayZayFaire
01-26-2012, 06:13 PM
I love whole milk. I treat milk like I treat butter. If I want butter, I don't go out and get margarine or some other so called "healthy" butter substitute. I get butter, god dammit. If I want milk, I get whole. Why? 2% tastes like shit. Skim tastes like shit to the umteenth power.