PDA

View Full Version : Domestic Security: Airport Security - TSA compared to Ron Paul's solution

JoblessRecovery
01-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Assuming that the United States continues a Foreign Policy that encourages terrorism, I'm curious to understand more about how Private Security hired by the airport would be better than the TSA.

I agree the TSA is unconstitutional, but am curious how exactly service and security would increase in airports and on airlines in a world without the TSA. Can someone paint me the picture?

eduardo89
01-26-2012, 01:45 PM
How did airline security exist before November 19, 2001?

bolil
01-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Because it did? Converting to "private security" companies would be a hundred times better than the TSA, looking at the facts. They would be more efficient, because there would be more than one company. This means that opposing companies would compete to supply a better service, that is better security. Now, it is just the TSA. If the TSA makes a mistake of any magnitude, too bad, they retain their monopoly on airport security. This means there is no incentive for them NOT to make mistakes. If a private company makes a mistake, they might lose their contract(s), this provides and incentive not to make mistakes. Ive heard enough of state sponsored altruism.

On the other hand if we don't first stop pissing the rest of the world off no PSC is gonna do a damn thing either. Get rid of our imperialistic foreign policy and there would be little need for airport security, and the need that is there should be met by private companies.

James Madison
01-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Just let pilots carry firearms in the cockpit. There's plenty of ammo types that'll drop a person in their tracks but won't breach the hull.

bolil
01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Just let pilots carry firearms in the cockpit. There's plenty of ammo types that'll drop a person in their tracks but won't breach the hull.

Yeah, even better. Had not thought of that during my rant. Maybe give each passenger a taser when they board the plane, and lock down the cockpit so no one can get in or out... AHAHAHAHAHA. Yes, perfect.

I like the idea of private security and pilot armament.

low preference guy
01-26-2012, 02:27 PM
I agree the TSA is unconstitutional, but am curious how exactly service and security would increase in airports and on airlines in a world without the TSA. Can someone paint me the picture?

We don't need to figure out the details. The market should. That's like asking about the details of shoes production in a free market of shoes. Entrepreneurs will try different things and the customers will make their choices and over time quality will improve. But we don't need to know anything about shoes or comfort technology to know that competition will improve quality or price of shoes. Same thing with airport security. Competition makes every product or service better. Since airport security is a service, competition in a free market makes airport security better. We don't need to know the details, and frankly we have no idea of what innovations entrepreneurs will come up with.

bolil
01-26-2012, 02:42 PM
We don't need to figure out the details. The market should. That's like asking about the details of shoes production in a free market of shoes. Entrepreneurs will try different things and the customers will make their choices and over time quality will improve. But we don't need to know anything about shoes or comfort technology to know that competition will improve quality or price of shoes. Same thing with airport security. Competition makes every product or service better. Since airport security is a service, competition in a free market makes airport security better. We don't need to know the details, and frankly we have no idea of what innovations entrepreneurs will come up with.

Maybe enhanced pat downs and body scanners eh?

eduardo89
01-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Even if it does breach, a hole the size of a 9mm won't bring an airplane down.

bolil
01-26-2012, 02:46 PM
We could just take burnt out college football players and pay them to be on every plane wielding baseball bats. That would be a mighty deterrent.

rpwi
01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Always liked the idea of getting rid of the TSA. Would probably still need customs but they can be a separate entity.

Basically each airline should have their own security policy. If Airline X wants to blast you with gamma radiation and do strip searches...fine, let them. If airline Y wants to do no searches and take the chance that you could be a bomber (just like a restaurant takes a chance that you could be a bomber or a mall takes that chance too) they should be allowed to do so.

Why should the government come between a seller and a buyer in the name of safety? Should not the public determine what is an approriate risk level? If I want to go rock climbing without ropes, that should be my choice. Same principal should apply to the airline industry.

JoblessRecovery
01-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all the replies, both serious and humorous. I enjoyed them all and appreciate the food for thought.

K466
01-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Jobless Recovery, see this article I wrote, it's a pretty comprehensive case for free markets and abolishing the TSA.

Striking at the Root: Tackling Airline Security... | Gather (http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978877569)

It has recieved the Walter Block stamp of approval (seriously).

Danke
01-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Many already do.

Doesn't prevent a bomb though.

Cyberbrain
01-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Assuming that the United States continues a Foreign Policy that encourages terrorism, I'm curious to understand more about how Private Security hired by the airport would be better than the TSA.

Privatized TSA (like we had pre-9/11 hysteria):
- Won't do anything that goes too far and keep millions of potential customers away.
- Will be secure enough so a hijacker won't get through and ruin the company's image.
- Will be as cost-effective and time-effective as possible.
- Will be interested in what actually works and have multiple layers of security where it makes sense.
- Can't break the law or violate the Constitution.
- Will give multiple security options so that YOU have the choice to fly the airline that YOU want that makes YOU feel the most secure and safe.

A government-run TSA has none of these pressures to be secure and effective, it can do whatever it wants as it gets the same amount of funding either way. It's only real pressure is to look pretty to politicians and the public.