PDA

View Full Version : Born Fighting - How the Ulster Scots shaped America

iamdigital
01-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Documentary: Born Fighting - How the Ulster Scots shaped America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZhLxcjIfqs&feature=channel_video_title

This documentary follows American senator Jim Webb on a 2,000 year journey from Hadrain's Wall through the time of
the Border Reivers, the Plantation of Ulster and the emigration of hundreds of thousands of Scotch-Irish settlers to north America.

These plucky, hardened people made American society what it is today and their unique values and beliefs became the mainstream US identity. Rugged individualism, clanship, generosity, suspicion of authority and a willingness to die for their believes are some of the recognisable traits of an Ulster Scot.

They took on - and held their own - against the might of the Roman Empire, the medieval English, the Irish savages of northern Ireland, the Indian tribes of the American frontier and were the driving force behind the Revolutionary War and US independence.

While many in America refer to their ethnicity as Irish-American, Italian-American, etc most of the Scotch-Irish community refer to themselves as simply 'American' with no need to hyphenate.

Ron Paul could gain votes if he uses this history in the correct states. He could easily light bush fires in the decendants of Ulster-Scots "Scotch-Irish"

make it happen. Northern Ireland is with you :D

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
01-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I picked up this book a few years ago and it is a good read. I would suggest it to anyone interested in the subject. http://www.amazon.com/How-Scots-Invented-Modern-World/dp/0609809997

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Awesome video, watched the whole thing. Very inspirational, and I have Scottish AND Irish blood in me!

DGraham
01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
I live in the Borders and am an Armstrong and a Graham. To this day our identity is very diferrent from the rest of the UK. I highly recommend that people look into their heritage and see if they have any border blood. Its truly an inspiring story.

RockEnds
01-26-2012, 03:39 PM
My Scotch-Irish ancestors had some pretty interesting tales. Here's a link to one of my favorites. The Thomas Evans in the story was my 5th-gr-grandfather. Definitely some rugged individualism there. ;)

http://www.archive.org/stream/captivesofabbsval00browrich#page/n0/mode/2up

It's a short book. Thomas Evans' sister was visiting cousins, the Moores, when most everyone was killed. His sister was captured, and Thomas tracked her down and brought her home. Definitely puts frontier life into perspective.

rachmiel
01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Cool video. I love Irish/Scottish/British history. Interesting how the documentary describes them as a warrior people. Ironically, their descendents today fight FOR the Roman Empire. :eek:

Revolution9
01-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Cool video. I love Irish/Scottish/British history. Interesting how the documentary describes them as a warrior people. Ironically, their descendents today fight FOR the Roman Empire. :eek:

Watch it with the British thingee. The English may not cotten to it.

Rev9

Revolution9
01-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Great video. Now I know why I got the streak in me. My father was a drill sargeant with the Black Watch.

Rev9

GrahamUK
01-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Awesome video :)

Great to see the fighting spirit was kept alive on the other side of the pond. I'm from Stirling myself so it was cool to see the Senator strolling round the Wallace Monument and Stirling Castle (my backyard). The words, No Surrender are soo Ron Paul btw cuz he, just like the Ulster-Scots will never back down from a position, that's prolly a lot of the reason why I admire him tbh...

FREEDOM!

iamdigital
01-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Awesome video :)

Great to see the fighting spirit was kept alive on the other side of the pond. I'm from Stirling myself so it was cool to see the Senator strolling round the Wallace Monument and Stirling Castle (my backyard). The words, No Surrender are soo Ron Paul btw cuz he, just like the Ulster-Scots will never back down from a position, that's prolly a lot of the reason why I admire him tbh...

FREEDOM!

I agree, Ron Paul certainly has the triats. I wonder if he has any Ulster-Scot relations or ancesters. If not, im sure hes atleast read books and been inspired by this history. I would love to know :)