PDA

View Full Version : High Times article?

guerillaeffect
11-11-2007, 06:37 PM
We really need to get RP in an article in High Times. That would be a good demographic to push also since the drug war is such a waste of money. We've spoken to a lot of people who hate the government for this single reason (I'm sure there are more). Maybe we can get some contacts and email bomb them? Just an idea. What do you think?

Marceline88
11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I personally like the way yer thinking!

Geronimo
11-11-2007, 06:42 PM
I don't think it's such a great idea. I think it'd be better to go to your local head shops (if you have any) and drop off some literature.

devil21
11-11-2007, 06:46 PM
I like the idea as well. Do NOT underestimate the power of weed smokers who will vote solely for a candidate that will end the War on Drugs which will probably lead to legalization. Drop them a note.

http://www.hightimes.com/ht/home/index.php?page=contact

guerillaeffect
11-11-2007, 06:48 PM
High Times is read all across the country in every head shop there is. With one fell swoop we would have millions of people on our side. Think of all the smokers out there that are smoking right now and have or will read High Times. You can bet that anyone that smokes a little or a lot and knows a candidate that wants to end the stupid war on marijuana which is just a plant, will be jumping on full force and they'll be telling their friends also. As soon as I meet someone I always try to discern what the best way to bring them in the fold is and from looks many times I shoot for the stopping the drug war angle. This has worked 110% of the time....that extra 10% is for them going and telling their friends...:D

jake
11-11-2007, 06:56 PM
an advertisement is another option

figueir2
11-11-2007, 06:57 PM
I must admit it is because of this very issue that I was turned onto Dr. Paul. I eventually learned about his foreign and monetary policies and it took off from there. It would be a very good idea to advertise toward this demographic, its almost a guarantee that they will vote for Dr. Paul if they got a chance to hear his views on the failing war on drugs.

sunghoko
11-11-2007, 06:58 PM
how about not on the cover.

MSM will eat him alive with a pic of him on the cover. It's easy to show a graphic of him on a news story. He will be judged by the cover and I don't think that's good for the rest of the nation. Further perpetuates the stereotype that all libertarians are pot smokers

sparebulb
11-11-2007, 07:00 PM
While I think we all understand what you all are saying, can you understand why it would be best for you all not to make this a part of RP's political platform? The Hucksters, Ghouls, and McRomneys would love to be able to point a crooked finger at RP for things like this. I guarantee that this will lose more votes in the short term than it will gain.

Plus, don't think that the world will automatically change after RP is sworn in to office. The changes that you seek need to originate in the legislature. Your efforts are best spent in organizations that promote that agenda. This will harm RP.

Menthol Patch
11-11-2007, 07:01 PM

MSM will eat him alive with a pic of him on the cover. It's easy to show a graphic of him on a news story. He will be judged by the cover and I don't think that's good for the rest of the nation. Further perpetuates the stereotype that all libertarians are pot smokers

Who cares what the mainstream media thinks? I sure don't!

I think having Ron Paul on the cover of High Times would be a GREAT idea.

If we allow the mainstream media to intimidate us into avoiding coverage then we don't deserve to win!

The great thing about Ron Paul is that he states his beliefs and does NOT back down REGARDLESS of what people might say about him!

Menthol Patch
11-11-2007, 07:02 PM
While I think we all understand what you all are saying, can you understand why it would be best for you all not to make this a part of RP's political platform? The Hucksters, Ghouls, and McRomneys would love to be able to point a crooked finger at RP for things like this. I guarantee that this will lose more votes in the short term than it will gain.

Plus, don't think that the world will automatically change after RP is sworn in to office. The changes that you seek need to originate in the legislature. Your efforts are best spent in organizations that promote that agenda. This will harm RP.

I think this is an IMPORTANT part of Ron Paul's platform! Everyone has the right to put whatever they want into their own bodies!

jake
I repeat: An advertisement by a "private citizen" clearly unaffiliated with the official campaign would be appropriate, not some sort-of super-duper cover story

guerillaeffect
We all know in Politics it doesn't matter if it's negative or positive...getting any media attention is good (to a particular point of course). And it would only benefit him if they were attacking him because it would keep his name in the limelight. I say we start campaigning to get them to write an article on him or interview him or something. But it is a good idea to advertise also.

Menthol Patch
11-11-2007, 07:03 PM
A super duper cover story would be GREAT!

sparebulb
11-11-2007, 07:05 PM
It would be just what I expect from covert operatives from the Man, and we all know who the McRomliani is, to promote something enormously stupid like this.

Menthol Patch
11-11-2007, 07:06 PM
This is NOT stupid at all.

This is a GREAT idea.

The fact of the matter is that the war on drugs is a war on personal liberty. If people want to use drugs they have every right to do so!

specsaregood
11-11-2007, 07:06 PM
You all do realize he was in the High Times back in '88 and mentioned on the cover, right?

Edit: here you go: http://www.scribd.com/doc/34107/Ron-Paul-The-Pot-Candidate

Menthol Patch
11-11-2007, 07:08 PM
The fact is that Ron Paul supports an end to the "War on Drugs." He has stated everyone has the right to choose what they put into their own bodies. High Times believes the SAME THING!

Ron Paul should indeed associate with High Times!

CelestialRender
11-11-2007, 07:09 PM
We should take out an ad, if they don't do an article on their own.

If we do, make sure to focus it towards "he knows the war on drugs is just as foolish and dangerous as prohibition", rather than "he'll let you smoke whatever", and we wouldn't have an MSM problem. They don't want that argument brought up.

Menthol Patch
11-11-2007, 07:09 PM
You all do realize he was in the High Times back in '88 and mentioned on the cover, right?

Edit: here you go: http://www.scribd.com/doc/34107/Ron-Paul-The-Pot-Candidate

That is awesome!

Mark Rushmore
11-11-2007, 07:10 PM
It would make a great cover story if it focuses specifically on the financial burden to taxpayers which we accrue with our absurd policies. It lets the legalization message get across to the proper demographic, and if they try and drag the article up -- if the headline of the article is prominent on the cover, and is something like "Cutting Taxes with Common Sense" (not that exact title but you get the idea, a headline that shows it isn't some hippie message or fluff piece) it should work out to everyones benefit.

guerillaeffect
11-11-2007, 07:10 PM
different times different people. Marijuana is a plant that can be found in the wilderness. No reason for anyone to make it illegal. The only reason it is is because the government can't properly tax it. Like someone said, we shouldn't worry about what big media says is bad or good. People will make the decision themselves.

Menthol Patch
11-11-2007, 07:11 PM
different times different people. Marijuana is a plant that can be found in the wilderness. No reason for anyone to make it illegal. The only reason it is is because the government can't properly tax it. Like someone said, we shouldn't worry about what big media says is bad or good. People will make the decision themselves.

I totally agree.

constituent
i know, you could make a straw design, and paint it like a candy cane right?

have the stripes running down the straw and right in the middle *coca-cola font*
you could write "Ron Paul 2008," and then just leave them everywhere.

guerillaeffect
We should take out an ad, if they don't do an article on their own.

If we do, make sure to focus it towards "he knows the war on drugs is just as foolish and dangerous as prohibition", rather than "he'll let you smoke whatever", and we wouldn't have an MSM problem. They don't want that argument brought up.

Great point. I like it...I'm going to fish this around to get some money to advertise from our meetups in Houston...

ChooseLiberty
Good idea.

If the people that read High Times can remember the dates to vote and then actually end up at the voting booth and remember the name Ron Paul.

Arklatex
11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Maybe they can interview some leading economists and their push for the legalization of cannabis. I know I had an economics professor who had signed a petition to this effect, believe it was initiated by a Standford Economist.

guerillaeffect
11-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Good idea.

If the people that read High Times can remember the dates to vote and then actually end up at the voting booth and remember the name Ron Paul.

Funny. Or if we have anyone that sells weed on this forum (not that there is anyone) they can always tell their customers that they only sell to people that vote ron paul. If on the date of voting primaries they vote, they get a free joint....

(might be a lot of free joints) :eek:

MozoVote
11-11-2007, 07:15 PM
An advertisement may be a better idea than an article. Ron Paul has gone farther than any Republican or Democratic candidate to endorse ending the war on drugs. But I think a large write up in High Times will make him look really "fringe".

Frankly, I suspect the underground "stoner network" is already pretty aware of Ron Paul. Especially with Marc Emery and Pot.tv already pimping him.

Marceline88
11-11-2007, 07:15 PM

WAIT A MINUTE HERE........

"You all" are not making this part of Ron Paul's political platform.....RON PAUL is!!!
He brings it up in his rally speeches. He explicitly mentioned it at the Philly rally yesterday and expounded on it at the KC rally I went to.

He introduced a bill to get Hemp legalized as an industrial crop again. Cannabis is more than a fun thing to smoke, it's more than medicine for the sick, it's also a wonderful commodity, a perfect raw material for numerous applications.....paper, fiber and FUEL being just the top 3.

Trust me, you want pot-heads to know this man's name. YOUR freedom may well depend on it.

Hight Times needs to spread the word again.

nathanmn
11-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, the thing is Ron Paul's anti-drug war stance is going to be used to attack him in a Republican debate or some other forum soon anyways. That attack will mostly be broadcast to a demographic where it might hurt him. By getting him in high times and trying to use this as a positive, at least there is potential gain because we are reaching out to an anti-drug war demographic. I think the negative is going to be there regardless so we might as well aim for the positive too. I would also like to point out how horrible the Democrat candidates are on this issue. None of the "front runners" raised their hand in a debate to support the decriminalization of marijuana. They think the 2+ million in prison status quo is just dandy. Ron Paul has a lot of potential there.

guerillaeffect
11-11-2007, 07:18 PM

"You all" are not making this part of Ron Paul's political platform.....RON PAUL is!!!
He brings it up in his rally speeches. He explicitly mentioned it at the Philly rally yesterday and expounded on it at the KC rally I went to.

He introduced a bill to get Hemp legalized as an industrial crop again. Cannabis is more than a fun thing to smoke, it's more than medicine for the sick, it's also a wonderful commodity, a perfect raw material for numerous applications.....paper, fiber and FUEL being just the top 3.

Trust me, you want pot-heads to know this man's name. YOUR freedom may well depend on it.

Amen to that! We need to get the word out and email High Times regarding this. If enough of us do it, they'll go for it.

nathanmn
11-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Maybe they can interview some leading economists and their push for the legalization of cannabis. I know I had an economics professor who had signed a petition to this effect, believe it was initiated by a Standford Economist.

http://www.forbes.com/services/2005/06/02/cz_qh_0602pot.html

constituent
11-11-2007, 07:25 PM
i was just thinking... wasn't ron paul on the cover of high times once.... years ago, i think?

i can't remember.... buh.

Richandler
11-11-2007, 07:27 PM
We need operation Berkeley and San Francisco at some point.

Menthol Patch
11-11-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm ashamed that Ron Paul is willing to SPEAK OPENLY about how he wants a total end to the War on Drugs but some of his supporters want to hide the issue.

Menthol Patch
11-11-2007, 07:34 PM

I agree.

MozoVote
11-11-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm ashamed that Ron Paul is willing to SPEAK OPENLY about how he wants a total end to the War on Drugs but some of his supporters want to hide the issue.

I think we should let RP decide how "out" he wants to be about this. He's come so much farther than any other candidate has.

I'm sure CannabisNews and other sites will be covering him as the campaign rolls on. They are very alert to any hint of support for ending the WOD.

pcosmar
11-11-2007, 07:42 PM
"Make the most of the Indian hemp seed,
and sow it everywhere!"

George Washington

Industrial hemp is a very useful plant. I challenged the attorney general to get rid of the criminal stigma associated with hemp so we can look at it in terms of how it might be useful.
Jesse Ventura

As a small farm owner, this would be beneficial.
And for those worried about attacks, Ron Paul defeats them easily and they usually end up helping him. He uses LOGIC, it is a concept lost on his opponents.

MadTheologian
11-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Brings new meaning to the term "grassroots"!

And kudos on the idea of delivering slim-jims to the local head shops. I can think of many head shops in my area.

MozoVote
11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
It is interesting that on ronpaulgraphs, the states with the highest per-capita contributions, tend to be those in the west with with MMJ laws. I suspect a lot of heads have already been quietly donating.

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I say an awesome idea!

RonPaulStreetTeam
11-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I used to read High Times!

monotony
11-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I think we should let RP decide how "out" he wants to be about this. He's come so much farther than any other candidate has.

I'm sure CannabisNews and other sites will be covering him as the campaign rolls on. They are very alert to any hint of support for ending the WOD.

Have you not yet learned that Ron Paul is "out" about everything with no apologies? That's why people love him so much.

There is no way that advertising in High Times could possibly turn off as many people as it would bring in. I don't know a single person who is gung ho about the drug war and doesn't think it's a complete failure and disaster.

Add to that the multiplicity of industrial uses for hemp and how great it would be for farmers and there is a huge demographic out there that is ripe for the message of ending the WOD.

MozoVote
11-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Have you not yet learned that Ron Paul is "out" about everything with no apologies? That's why people love him so much.

Ron Paul *has* been careful when to play the WOD card. He was willing to use it in the PBS debate -- his references to it at the Philadelphia rally in front of a large crowd, may be something of a turning point. Maybe it will become a standard part of his stump speech just like the Iraq war.

I just think he should decide how to closely to tie himself to that message.

Geronimo
11-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I don't think it's such a great idea.

I take back what I said earlier. I'm beginning to think that placing an ad isn't such a bad idea.
It seems a lot easier then trying to get them to do an article.

richard1984
11-11-2007, 09:27 PM

HAHAHA!!! I can just imagine Ron Paul's smiling face on the cover, surrounded by a bunch of sweet sweet sesimilla! Maybe even some red, white, and blue buds.... :D

Seeing as how he's ever even been around cannabis...ah...they wouldn't put him on the cover anyway. Maybe his name, but that'd be it.

I'd sure as hell buy a High Times that month if it featured an article on Ron Paul.
That would be bad ass. :cool:

Richandler
11-11-2007, 09:29 PM
I suggest people to understand the Drug War a little more by walking the documentary American Drug War: The Last White Hope.

the_oco
11-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Hey guys this is my first post, of course on a topic near and dear to my heart.
I'm a part owner in a company that advertises in HighTimes and can go on for days on how much business that generated for us. Love it or hate it HT has a very devoted readership, with many of its writers being leading activists in a variety of movements. This week I'm going to the Cannabis Cup in Amsterdam and will be doing as much RP promotion as possible, and also plan on bringing up this very topic with HT editors while I'm there.

I have a feeling I won't be the only one attending with a package of slim jims.

slantedview
11-11-2007, 09:57 PM

this is risky at all. on the cover would be horrendous.

what's the readership?

DjLoTi
11-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Cannabis Culture magazine has already endorsed Ron Paul.. Marc Emery, founder of Cannabis Culture mag, has a show on Ron Paul radio on Tuesday nights from 10pm-12am EST

( I like CC mag better then High Times, personally )

devil21
11-12-2007, 02:58 AM
this is risky at all. on the cover would be horrendous.

what's the readership?

I disagree. Ron Paul is already hated by the establishment and he believes in ending the WOD and legalizing medical cannabis, so what is to lose? Even a blurb in HT will be noticed. A full "Tommy Chong" type article isn't necessary. Trust those of us "in the know" on this one.

As for readership, it's pretty damn big and very devoted. And a lot of people who would vote for a candidate who openly wants what they want. Anyone who buys HT is an "in-the-bag" voter I think.

LibertyEagle
11-12-2007, 05:19 AM
Have you forgotten that we are trying to get the REPUBLICAN nomination?

While this may be something that we might consider AFTER we secure said nomination, to do it beforehand would be stupid.

LibertyEagle
11-12-2007, 05:20 AM
I disagree. Ron Paul is already hated by the establishment and he believes in ending the WOD and legalizing medical cannabis, so what is to lose? Even a blurb in HT will be noticed. A full "Tommy Chong" type article isn't necessary. Trust those of us "in the know" on this one.

Oh, I trust that you know all about drugs, but I do not trust that you know the first thing about Republicans. :rolleyes:

LibertyEagle
11-12-2007, 05:23 AM
HAHAHA!!! I can just imagine Ron Paul's smiling face on the cover, surrounded by a bunch of sweet sweet sesimilla! Maybe even some red, white, and blue buds.... :D

Seeing as how he's ever even been around cannabis...ah...they wouldn't put him on the cover anyway. Maybe his name, but that'd be it.

I'd sure as hell buy a High Times that month if it featured an article on Ron Paul.
That would be bad ass. :cool:

Some of you seem to confusing Paul's belief in federally decriminalizing drugs, with advocating drug use. They are two very different things. He has said in speeches before that he abhors this kind of drug use.

TVMH
11-12-2007, 05:39 AM
Whatever article or ad is run, we need make to make sure it reminds people to vote in the primaries. :cool:

wsc321
11-12-2007, 06:53 AM
I think it is a bad idea - particularly the idea of putting him on the cover.

It isn't that we should be up tight and worried about the MSM hating him. That's already a done deal: they hate him and will fight him. But it does not, therefore, follow that we shouldn't care about what ammo we do/don't give them because we DO we care about how their message affects the folks who still listen.

I personally think that the WOD issue might be THE sticking point for the endorsement of someone like Dobson or other Christians. (And I believe that's a base that SHOULD be supporting Paul to the hilt, but it's an up hill battle.) Keep in mind - it's one thing for the MSM to try to scare folks off by listing department after department that Ron Paul wants to eliminate from the Federal Government. That's tough for a lot of people to fathom, though if they can hear Ron Paul's defense there's a chance they can be converted...

But the idea of a "High Times" cover shot with Ron Paul is going to be too much for many people to come to terms with. The MSM will run with the cover and use it to pound Ron Paul's campaign. It will net a negative. Best case scenario would be for the anti WOD folks to acknowledge this and circulate the word about Ron Paul without headlines/cover stories/etc.

BTW - William F. Buckley came out against the WOD a while back. I think there are still Google Video clips of an interview with him on the subject. He makes a great case. Anyway - if you speak to a conservative that is ready to freak out about Paul's WOD stance I think mentioning something like "Well, you know William F. Buckley has said the same thing, right?" might help reel in some folks (assuming they've heard of Buckley, of course).

Just my take.

leipo
11-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Don't Christians believe that god created all plants? Or is the devil behind some of these plants in their mythology?

Duckman
11-12-2007, 08:03 AM
I think a debate about the good or bad of the drug war is a good debate topic. I do agree with LibertyEagle that alot of Republicans HATE drugs and have been conditioned to believe, at least, that any expense or usurpation of liberty is justified to fight the drug war.

I personally think more people are smoking pot than ever before, among all walks of life. I'm 31, a college grad and and I have a 6 figure job, and I smoke pot and half the people I know in my age range smoke pot at least occasionally. And these people did not necessarily know each other before knowing me. All who I have asked (or mentioned RP to) have told me they are interested in voting for a candidate who wanted to legalize cannabis.

I think the drug war is very expensive in terms of law enforcement costs, legal fees, and incarceration costs. And the availability of drugs shows that attempts to prohibit a drug in a free society are a true fools errand, a money pit down which tax dollars can be endlessly flushed.

If drugs were legal, then:

1) Money being spent to fight the WoD drugs could be used elsewhere or returned to the people.
2) Drug sales could be taxed to provide a revenue stream on top of the money saved in #1.
3) Street dealing would evaporate. You don't see street dealers for alcohol.
4) No more street dealers means alot of revenue (read: power) lost to criminal organizations and gangs. Ending alcohol prohibition solved the Chicago gang problems of the 1930's, I believe ending drug prohibition will do alot to solve today's inner-city gang problems.
5) No more street dealers also means much less availability of drugs to those under 18/21, since legal sales establishments will likely ID.

Plus, I believe it is actually a small-government Republican position to be opposed to prohibition in any form, that is the position arch-conservative William F. Buckley has taken. Using the fist of government to take a substance away from the people because they might enjoy it too much or too frequently or possibly suffer health problems from its voluntary use is not American in my opinion. And it's also hypocritical in my opinion for cannabis to be illegal but alcohol and nicotine to be legal. Alcohol impairs driving more and brings out violent tendencies in some people, and nicotine is more addictive and dangerous to your health. I absolutely want alcohol and nicotine to remain legal, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy.

I think there needs to be more public attention to this issue, it is not a closed issue and I believe there is growing mainstream support to legalize at least cannabis.

nexalacer
11-12-2007, 08:08 AM

I don't think this is true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as President he will be able to effectively change the on-the-streets enforcement of the drug laws. Of course, they will need to be repealed, but I believe he will be able to make the relevant agencies essentially ignore the prosecution of them, as far as marijuana is concerned.

Duckman
11-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as President he will be able to effectively change the on-the-streets enforcement of the drug laws. Of course, they will need to be repealed, but I believe he will be able to make the relevant agencies essentially ignore the prosecution of them, as far as marijuana is concerned.

I don't have the exact name of the law in front of me, but Nixon oversaw the changing of the federal drug laws during his Presidency to their current form, which allows the President to designate which drugs fall under which "schedules" in the drug prohibition system. (Most street drugs including MJ are "schedule I", which means the government says the drug has no redeeming value, it's only value is to make a user addicted). Other schedules are used for various types of prescription drugs.

So, if I understand things correctly, the President has the authority to change the scheduling of certain drugs or remove them from the schedule list altogether without congressional approval due to the Nixon-era law. Also, the President definitely has control over the FBI, DEA, and ATF, which he could tell to "stand down" from busts.

None of this would affect state laws. Every state has, to my knowledge, enacted its own law against the MJ and other street drugs. Most enforcement of WoD drug laws comes at the state level, with small time possession/dealing usually prosecuted as a violation of state law. So, Ron Paul would have to try to change people's minds about the issue in order to see a general lifting of the WoD in this country.

MicroBalrog
11-12-2007, 08:20 AM
We really need to get RP in an article in High Times. That would be a good demographic to push also since the drug war is such a waste of money. We've spoken to a lot of people who hate the government for this single reason (I'm sure there are more). Maybe we can get some contacts and email bomb them? Just an idea. What do you think?

The owner already endorsed Ron Paul I believe.

nexalacer
11-12-2007, 08:21 AM
I don't have the exact name of the law in front of me, but Nixon oversaw the changing of the federal drug laws during his Presidency to their current form, which allows the President to designate which drugs fall under which "schedules" in the drug prohibition system. (Most street drugs including MJ are "schedule I", which means the government says the drug has no redeeming value, it's only value is to make a user addicted). Other schedules are used for various types of prescription drugs.

So, if I understand things correctly, the President has the authority to change the scheduling of certain drugs or remove them from the schedule list altogether without congressional approval due to the Nixon-era law. Also, the President definitely has control over the FBI, DEA, and ATF, which he could tell to "stand down" from busts.

None of this would affect state laws. Every state has, to my knowledge, enacted its own law against the MJ and other street drugs. Most enforcement of WoD drug laws comes at the state level, with small time possession/dealing usually prosecuted as a violation of state law. So, Ron Paul would have to try to change people's minds about the issue in order to see a general lifting of the WoD in this country.

In my state (California), MJ is mostly ignored by the state, so Dr. Paul's position would be a huge boon. And I'm tellin' ya, there are a LOT of potheads in Cali that would love to vote for a candidate that would end the federal war on MJ.

Brinck Slattery
11-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I have to agree with LibertyEagle here - Although Dr. Paul mentioned this position on Face The Nation (which was great!) it might be one of those blitzes to save for the general election. I think strategically, if we highlight the more traditional "Ron Paul Republican!" and "Ron Paul: The Real Conservative" platforms during the primary season, and then go wild for the general election, there's a much greater chance for success.

pcosmar
11-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Have you forgotten that we are trying to get the REPUBLICAN nomination?

While this may be something that we might consider AFTER we secure said nomination, to do it beforehand would be stupid.

Yes,I am aware of that. Most Republicans that I know are in favor of ending the WOD.
Going after the Republican vote is not the same as the Neo-Con vote.
The Neo-Cons can either get on board the train or be run over by it.
Republicans Favor:
Smaller Government
Less Taxes
Personal Liberty
Less regulation
Less Government

pcosmar
11-12-2007, 08:35 AM
I have to agree with LibertyEagle here - Although Dr. Paul mentioned this position on Face The Nation (which was great!) it might be one of those blitzes to save for the general election. I think strategically, if we highlight the more traditional "Ron Paul Republican!" and "Ron Paul: The Real Conservative" platforms during the primary season, and then go wild for the general election, there's a much greater chance for success.

Dr Paul Has "Mentioned" it in almost every speech I have heard.
It is One of His Key Positions, End The War On Drugs. It has failed and is a waste of money.
What you put in your body is your own business, Not the Governments.

freedom_junkie
11-12-2007, 08:37 AM
CONTACT
Richard Cusick - Advertising Director
(212) 387-0500 x227
Email Rick

Michael Czerhoniak - Advertising Director
(212) 387-0500 x240
Email Michael

Matt Stang - Senior Advertising Representative
(212) 387-0500 x206
Email Matt

Ann Marie Dennis - Web Classifieds Advertising Representative
(212) 387-0500 x223
Email Ann Marie

CONTRIBUTION GUIDELINES
2006-06-09 >> entertainment category >> exclusive

HIGH TIMES accepts articles, photos and illustrations from non-staff writers, photographers and illustrators. HIGH TIMES primarily focuses on marijuana cultivation and counterculture lifestyle. We also publish articles on travel, entertainment and psychedelics.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
We are always looking for intelligent comments on our magazine, either pro or con, as well as suggestions or corrections. Letters should be brief and to the point. There is no payment. Send to hteditor@hightimes.com.

FEATURES
This includes a long feature story or a feature-length interview. Word length ranges from 1,500 to 3,000. Interviews should consist of an introduction to the subject followed by a Q&A-style interview. Rates are $500-$1,000. To submit a feature article or query contact hteditor@hightimes.com.

BUZZ
This front-of-the-book section includes entertainment coverage, columnists and reviews. Buzz pieces range from 100-800 words. Rates are $50-$300. To submit an article or query for this department, contact Chris@hightimes.com.

nathanmn
11-12-2007, 08:35 PM
CONTACT
Richard Cusick - Advertising Director
(212) 387-0500 x227
Email Rick

Michael Czerhoniak - Advertising Director
(212) 387-0500 x240
Email Michael

Matt Stang - Senior Advertising Representative
(212) 387-0500 x206
Email Matt

Ann Marie Dennis - Web Classifieds Advertising Representative
(212) 387-0500 x223
Email Ann Marie

CONTRIBUTION GUIDELINES
2006-06-09 >> entertainment category >> exclusive

HIGH TIMES accepts articles, photos and illustrations from non-staff writers, photographers and illustrators. HIGH TIMES primarily focuses on marijuana cultivation and counterculture lifestyle. We also publish articles on travel, entertainment and psychedelics.

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
We are always looking for intelligent comments on our magazine, either pro or con, as well as suggestions or corrections. Letters should be brief and to the point. There is no payment. Send to hteditor@hightimes.com.

FEATURES
This includes a long feature story or a feature-length interview. Word length ranges from 1,500 to 3,000. Interviews should consist of an introduction to the subject followed by a Q&A-style interview. Rates are $500-$1,000. To submit a feature article or query contact hteditor@hightimes.com.

BUZZ
This front-of-the-book section includes entertainment coverage, columnists and reviews. Buzz pieces range from 100-800 words. Rates are $50-$300. To submit an article or query for this department, contact Chris@hightimes.com.

Okay... so is someone going to write an article?

nathanmn
11-12-2007, 11:24 PM
bump

runderwo
11-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Cannabis Culture magazine has been promoting Ron for ages, and the MSM hasn't used it against him yet... so I don't see how a HT article and/or ad could be bad in any way.

Badger Paul
11-13-2007, 08:35 AM
I think it would behoove High Times to cover Ron Paul rather than begging them for an article. When have they ever had a presidential candidate from a major party so close to their views?

nathanmn
11-13-2007, 08:43 AM
I think it would behoove High Times to cover Ron Paul rather than begging them for an article. When have they ever had a presidential candidate from a major party so close to their views?

We don't have to "beg" them for one... all we have to do is write a good one and submit it. I'm almost sure they will print it. Articles don't write themselves. Whoever does it, just make sure to remind everyone that the "front runner" Democrats are all against decriminalization. They still want to have people thrown in prison for smoking a joint. None of them raised their hand in favor of decriminalization in a Dem debate. Check on their medical marijuana stance too if they have gone on record with one.

TruckinMike
11-13-2007, 09:03 AM
NOT a good idea. Some of his harshest critics mention him wanting to legalize drugs for all. I'm in constant battle explaining that the WOD is not expressly authorized in the constitution, therefore its unconstitutional. I explain his stance is to leave it up to the states...STATES RIGHTS... but his personal medical opinion is that marijuana should be allowed to folks who need it.

Do not make it look like he is trying to legalize MJ for all... because that is NOT his position. ...and thats exactly what I've been battling with these mind numb neo-cons.

Remember, we need THEM to vote for him in the primaries.

TruckinMike

fluoridatedbrainsoup
11-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Bill Hicks is appropriate here - Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCf2fJsBxRc

TruckinMike
11-13-2007, 10:48 AM
This is a Marketing debate... not a philosophical one.

TM

James R
11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Our efforts should not be directed at advertising in High Times. They will be willing to write about him free of charge, just like in 88' when he was running.

James R
11-13-2007, 10:57 AM
PS - If High Times does print an article on him, we should combine this with an advertising effort in Eureka, CA, which is ground zero for the "legalize it" crowd. Maybe a low-cost billboard and a couple of couple radio ads there would create a good total package.

constituent
11-13-2007, 11:02 AM
We don't have to "beg" them for one... all we have to do is write a good one and submit it. I'm almost sure they will print it. Articles don't write themselves. Whoever does it, just make sure to remind everyone that the "front runner" Democrats are all against decriminalization. They still want to have people thrown in prison for smoking a joint. None of them raised their hand in favor of decriminalization in a Dem debate. Check on their medical marijuana stance too if they have gone on record with one.

ahhhh.... you want someone to submit an article?

well, that's a breeze.

seriously though, i'm pretty sure high times has written about RP in the past. if you can get me info on that i'll write several stories of varying length so that if they have a few spare inches one month, maybe they can throw one in there....

who knows? we'll see.

let me know if you find anything about previous articles though.

constituent
11-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Our efforts should not be directed at advertising in High Times. They will be willing to write about him free of charge, just like in 88' when he was running.

ok, that's a start. now wasn't there one more recently? like 01 or 2 maybe?

does anyone know where to find a copy of the 88 article?

RevolutionSD
11-13-2007, 11:35 AM
I think this is a fantastic idea!

Let's run with it!:cool:

syborius
11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
I wondered about this for some time. I don't think a cover story is the best, but an internal piece regarding his policies is not a bad idea at all. We don't need a cover story to be just as effective. Even a 1/4 page add is enough, if one pot smoker reads it he will tell 100 others during their pot smoking sessions. That is all that is needed, to be savvy, and effective, and get the message out to a new crop of people.

American
11-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Whats next an article in Anarchist magazine?

I dont underestimate weed smokers, they are to lazy to vote. I think the literature idea is best. Thats my 2 cents

I think we should be looking at a different demographic then pot smokers.

Thurston Howell III
11-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I was gonna email someone about this, .........but I got high.

Matthew Zak
11-13-2007, 12:23 PM
word of mouth guys... there are plenty of pot smokers out there who would appreciate ron paul whether or not he's on the cover... just tell your weed smoking friends.

Go to various music bulletin boards (so many musicians are smokers it's insane) and talk about ron paul and his position regarding the war on drugs.

We own the internet, remember?

CHARGE!

brumans
11-13-2007, 12:27 PM
ok, that's a start. now wasn't there one more recently? like 01 or 2 maybe?

does anyone know where to find a copy of the 88 article?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34107/Ron-Paul-The-Pot-Candidate

constituent
11-13-2007, 01:44 PM
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34107/Ron-Paul-The-Pot-Candidate

thank you brumans!

constituent
11-13-2007, 01:47 PM
my favorite part:

"my voting record could be characterized as libertarian-free market... I prefer the term non-interventionist"

devil21
11-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Oh, I trust that you know all about drugs, but I do not trust that you know the first thing about Republicans. :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, RP wasn't a favorite of this Republican party anyway. He NEEDS independent and dems in order to win. If conservatives are the only thing to focus on then this election is already lost. And for the record, wouldn't my knowledge about cannabis users (it's the #1 cash crop in the USA, fyi) cancel out your knowledge about the Republican party that hates RP? Id rather gain new voters than worry about those voters that won't vote for RP anyway.

mtmedlin
11-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Instead of stating that Ron PAul is for drug legalization, how about we run an article about him being "Pro States Rights" This appeals greatly to the pro-legalization crowd and would be VERY well received in California where several of their state objectives are over ruled by the Government.
I really think that the message of "Ron Paul supports states rights" is more powerful then just saying he supports legalization. plus, I would give money to a states rights add......bribing- the true American pastime

constituent
11-13-2007, 06:32 PM
how about one w/ the "push the button" theme the 88 article touched on?

incorporate that theme into him smashing the DEA, and pardoning non-violent offenders.

after that, the rest really is up to the states.

surf
11-13-2007, 06:52 PM
not a reader, but do they have a letters section with something other than those great reader-submitted photos?

if so, i'd encourage writing to them. i also think an ad (not from the campaign) would be kind of cool.

nathanmn
11-13-2007, 09:35 PM
not a reader, but do they have a letters section with something other than those great reader-submitted photos?

if so, i'd encourage writing to them. i also think an ad (not from the campaign) would be kind of cool.

Unless High Times operates in some type of bizzaro world, then they pay YOU when you submit an article that they publish. Wouldn't it be better to get paid for an article rather than pay for an ad?

nexalacer
11-14-2007, 04:04 AM
Whats next an article in Anarchist magazine?

If there was such a thing, it would probably not want to publish a Ron Paul article because most anarchists in today's world are very leftist, communal-type anarchists.

That said, if there was an anarcho-capitalist magazine, it might publish a Ron Paul article because there are many ancaps who are supporting Ron Paul, including myself, murray rothbard, and andrew greve, among others. So I wouldn't go writing off the anarchists!

I dont underestimate weed smokers, they are to lazy to vote. I think the literature idea is best. Thats my 2 cents

I think we should be looking at a different demographic then pot smokers.

First off, I think you're absolutely correct in not underestimating weed smokers. They can be very motivated when they want to!

Of course, I guess you meant that you do underestimate weed smokers because they're too lazy, but this kind of collectivist thinking is what this campaign is trying to get away from.

Not only is it an accusation based on group-think, but it's not even completely accurate. I went to university in a place where there was a large population of weed smokers, and of course some of them were lazy (tell me there aren't lazy non-weed smokers!), but most of them worked hard at school and had to work a second job to support their weed-tertainment. I worked with some extremely hard-working weed smokers and I know guys in their 30s and 40s that are bringing in $50,000- $100,000+-type salaries.

With something like 60% of the American population having smoked weed or currently smoking weed, there is a huge market for voters among the "pot-head" community. This doesn't even take into account the people who DON'T smoke, but want it to be legalized, including that police-organization that is against the drug war. (I forgot the name! Blame the weed!)

I think it's a big mistake to ignore this market... it could have huge benefits, not only for this election, but for the general conversation about the war on drugs. It's time to end that nonsense and this election could be the one to do it.

Taco John
11-14-2007, 04:19 AM
I definitely wouldn't underestimate the weed smoking lobby. There's enough of them out there who haven't participated but would if they were motivated to.

Ozwest
11-14-2007, 04:39 AM
Why don't advocates of the legalization of marijuana, who support, Ron Paul, start a web site and fundraiser? I'm sure you could come up with some promotional tools and inspirational incentives. .. This has success written all over it. Someone take the ball and run!

Ozwest
11-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Looks' like nobody will touch this with a 10 foot joint.

constituent
11-14-2007, 06:20 AM
Looks' like nobody will touch this with a 10 foot joint.

potheads would just think it was a dea trap...

i woulda

Ozwest
11-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Times are tough in Riverdale...

Ozwest
11-14-2007, 06:35 AM
I'll patiently wait for the D.E.A. in my quiet West Australian village...

evadmurd
11-14-2007, 06:37 AM
I think it would be one step forward but two steps back.

Most of the population does not understand the war on drugs to begin with. I am talking about parents that see this money trap as the answer to protecting their children from drugs. Many of them are dealing with their elementary and middle school children being challenged on a daily basis and they will not understand a presidential candidate that wants to legalize drugs. He will appear as the enemy. Never a good position to be in if you are running for office.

Also consider the demographic of these young parents. They include the soccer moms who are already a very low RP constituency. We need them.

I just don't think it is a good idea to make it so forefront in the campaign. It is an issue that can be dealt with AFTER we win and only after some brilliant education. IMO, that is the main reason the Libertarian Party is not taken seriously.

I agree with Geronimo, approach it at the local level.

Ozwest
11-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Maybe it's time to test the boundaries. If not now, when?

nathanmn
11-14-2007, 08:59 AM
I think it would be one step forward but two steps back.

Most of the population does not understand the war on drugs to begin with. I am talking about parents that see this money trap as the answer to protecting their children from drugs. Many of them are dealing with their elementary and middle school children being challenged on a daily basis and they will not understand a presidential candidate that wants to legalize drugs. He will appear as the enemy. Never a good position to be in if you are running for office.

Also consider the demographic of these young parents. They include the soccer moms who are already a very low RP constituency. We need them.

I just don't think it is a good idea to make it so forefront in the campaign. It is an issue that can be dealt with AFTER we win and only after some brilliant education. IMO, that is the main reason the Libertarian Party is not taken seriously.

I agree with Geronimo, approach it at the local level.

Look, his opponents are going to bring it to the forefront and they are going to do it in a manner that is negative to him and directed towards a demographic where it will not be received well. We can't control that. They will drum him on the war on drugs in an upcoming debate, I can promise you that. I doubt the average person that is against the war on drugs watches Republican debates, so that anti-wod message will not be reaching the target that we want it to. We have a chance to get that message to potential supporters in a forum where it will be received 100% favorably. I still don't see the downside.

His anti-wod message is already going to go out to the pro-wod crowd, lets make sure it gets to the anti-wod crowd first. To me that only makes sense. Otherwise we are only going to see the negative effects of his anti-wod stance.

georgem
11-14-2007, 09:17 AM
I agree, the MSM most likely wouldn't even pick up on it if high times endorsed RP. And if they did, the campaign would deny soliciting the endorsement and shrug it off. but there is a percentage of the population, and 100% of the high times readers that would be attracted to RPs views on the drug war and vote for him on that basis alone.

just ask high times to run an article, i don't support him on the front page, nor do i think it'd ever be a good political move to have RP do an interview of any type with them. i RP does not support using drugs, but an article on the war on drugs would fit the magazines style and demographic perfectly.

nathanmn
11-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Is anyone writing an article? I will attempt to write one if no one else is going to step up, but my Engrish is a little rusty. Writing is not my strong point.

nathanmn
11-15-2007, 10:10 AM
??