PDA

View Full Version : Santorum To Leave Florida, About To Drop Out Of GOP Race?

EndTheFed
01-26-2012, 11:40 AM
http://government.brevardtimes.com/2012/01/santorum-to-leave-florida-about-to-drop.html

Deleted Link - Opps wrong article.....

Here is the correct one
http://race42012.com/2012/01/25/santorum-may-be-out-of-florida/

UK4Paul
01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Where would Santorum's supporters go, if he were to drop out?

RonRules
01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
It's now looking a lot better for third place!

EndTheFed
01-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Somebody needs to look at cross tabs... His second choices.

D.A.S.
01-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Let's prepare to welcome Santorum voters. (Whichever of them don't go to Newt...)

The Gold Standard
01-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Don't worry about it. His supporters will support Obama over Ron Paul.

swissaustrian
01-26-2012, 11:45 AM
He's going to endorse Gingrich to make him win Florida.
Gingrich is loosing Florida to Romney according to recent polls. That means Gingrich needs another boost. He is the chosen one, not Romney.
It's essentially the same procedure as in SC when Perry dropped out to distract voters from Ginrich's adultery.

affa
01-26-2012, 11:45 AM
That second article might as well be about everyone but Ron Paul.

zerosdontcount
01-26-2012, 11:46 AM
We must make sure Paul's campaign is funded.

goldpants
I still think some of his evangelicals, pro-liters and gun rights people will find their way here soon enough despite what crosstabs suggest.

affa
Gingrich is loosing Florida to Romney according to recent polls. That means Gingrich needs another boost. He is the chosen one, not Romney.
It's essentially the same procedure as in SC when Perry dropped out to distract voters from Ginrich's adultery.

I think he's dropping out because it was going to be be Romney, Gingrich, Paul, Santorum... and now it's going to be Romney, Gingrich, Paul. The standings won't change, but the media gets to say that Ron Paul was in 'last place' twice in a row.

LibertyEagle
01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
We must make sure Paul's campaign is funded.

Absolutely.

danielboon
01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
most are going to go to newt. he is very similar romney is leading and newt needs a bump we are just going to need to be patient.:(

Tyler_Durden
Meghyn Kelly just mentioned something about interviewing Frothy to "debunk" this...stay tuned.

swissaustrian
I think he's dropping out because it was going to be be Romney, Gingrich, Paul, Santorum... and now it's going to be Romney, Gingrich, Paul. The standings won't change, but the media gets to say that Ron Paul was in 'last place' twice in a row.
I partially agree that it's also an opportunity to make Paul look weak. That's probably why Santorum will stay until after tonight's debate, so he can steal time from Paul.

01-26-2012, 11:50 AM
He's going back home to VA to do some fundraisers and prepare his tax records for release. MSM has already reported on this. He's not dropping out.

seraphson
01-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Back to school to learn the facts. Oh wait, Santo approved of No Child Left Behind so it looks like it'll be yet another 12 years of being babysat for them. The irony!

UK4Paul
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Meghyn Kelly just mentioned something about interviewing Frothy to "debunk" this...stay tuned.

Megyn Kelly debunking Frothy... why did that just paint a picture in my mind? :8

everlasticity
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Those who would vote Santorum would have to compromise some serious values to vote Romney or Gingrich.

PauliticsPolitics
01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Seems like Frothy might just be doing the same thing as Ron Paul. (http://www.mcall.com/news/local/elections/mc-rick-santorum-leaving-florida-20120125,0,7676905.story)
Skipping Florida and moving on to other states in order to raise money, etc.
Who knows though?

bluesc
01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Ron Paul isn't competing in Florida and spends most of his time in his home state to "organize" and "fundraise" rather than campaigning, and he isn't dropping out any time soon.

Constitutional Paulicy
01-26-2012, 11:56 AM
He's going back home to VA to do some fundraisers and prepare his tax records for release. MSM has already reported on this. He's not dropping out.

^^THIS^^ He also said that Florida is too expensive much like Paul has more or less said. He will likely be interested in getting up to Maine since it was moved forward.

braane
01-26-2012, 11:56 AM

I read it a lot differently when that was announced yesterday. I saw it as 'Santorum is going back to Virginia to contemplate his campaign'. The campaign wouldn't just come out and say he was going back to Virginia to reconsider his campaign when their fundraising is already so dry (for in the event that he stays longer). They also don't want to be fielding questions on dropping out in the event that he just said 'I am going back home to Virginia'. I think that the taxes thing is a cover for him return home and discuss with his advisers the path forward (or lack there of).

It won't surprise me either way. If he stays in it likely won't be past Nevada. If he doesn't stay in... he saves himself 2 4th place finishes in 4 days.

seapilot
01-26-2012, 11:58 AM

A guess is they mostly go to Romney. The Santorum supporters would have already gone to Gingrich if they liked him, but they probably have issues with Gingrich personal life and ethics.

Santorum endorsed Romney in 08. He will do it again as he will not endorse a guy that has committed adultery twice and does not have a chance against Obama. He is looking for a VP or an administration position at this point if he keeps running.

AhuwaleKaNaneHuna
01-26-2012, 12:00 PM

I think romney is the chosen one for the GOP nom. I think grinch is the one chosen to be pushed as the anti-romney, to bump Paul from that spot.

libertybrewcity
01-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Santorum is probably just moving on to southern states that he might have a small chance of winning.

Brian4Liberty
01-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Majority would go to Newt. Same backers.

Those who would vote Santorum would have to compromise some serious values to vote Romney or Gingrich.

Lesser of evils argument. Many will overlook all other issues and go to Newt because pundits like Mark Levin will tell them that Newt is the best choice to fight Iran.

Brian4Liberty
01-26-2012, 12:10 PM
A guess is they go to Romney.

Those who want continual war do not fully trust Romney to always choose war, due to an interview his father gave while running for President.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSdSiBehQpI

Romulus
01-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I dont think he's out.. he's just Ron Pauling again.

Liberty74
01-26-2012, 12:14 PM

The vast majority will go to Newt. Maybe 80% of them. Just like Hunstman voters went with Romney and Perry voters went to Newt who btw is getting killed in the news today for lies.

If Santorum does not drop out before Monday, he will be out definitely after FL. He knows there are no real supporters for him to fund him further.

Shane Harris
01-26-2012, 12:16 PM
they will go to gingrich and romney. definitely not us. (well we may get some but def the minority)

Student Of Paulism
01-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Rick is their last effective blocker for Ron, so i dont see him leaving any time soon, and would be quite surprised if he did. This wouldn't allow for any type of distraction at debates and they would be forced to talk about Ron more and in the media as well. Sometimes i have to pinch myself that this idiot is still even around though, he should have been left for dead after IA ended and he gets a major leg humping from CNN to revive him.

If he does though, dont look for his support to come to us, it would be split between Mitt and Newt.

seapilot
01-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Those who want continual war do not fully trust Romney to always choose war, due to an interview his father gave while running for President.

Probably 99% of the people supporting Santorum do not even know about George Romney. They only hear Mitt Romney saying kill the Taliban! and his other war drum propaganda in the debates.

Lishy
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Those who vote any of them make me scratch my head. There's nothing good about these candidates!

All they do is talk about themselves. Or at least in Newt's case, what Reagan and his father did...

Even Herman Cain was better. At least he had a plan. These guys? Augh... I don't want to call voters ignorant, but....

Darthbrooklyn
01-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Hes Definitely dropping... You dont have to go back to your homestate to do your freaking taxes... and you dont have to go back to your home state to raise money.. BS BS BS.... Bye Bye Ricky

Warrior_of_Freedom
01-26-2012, 12:24 PM
So is that how it is Frothy? Shit all over the GOP race and just leave, like that? Huh?

Shane Harris
01-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Those who vote any of them make me scratch my head. There's nothing good about these candidates!

All they do is talk about themselves. Or at least in Newt's case, what Reagan and his father did...

Even Herman Cain was better. At least he had a plan. These guys? Augh... I don't want to call voters ignorant, but....

hey now. have you seen Romney's hair? He looks so presidential. Didn't he play the President in Independence Day? Vote for Mitt Romney, he looks like America lol

Edu
01-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Newt Romney

So that means we only have to defeat one candidate?

seapilot
01-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Rick is their last effective blocker for Ron, so i dont see him leaving any time soon, and would be quite surprised if he did. This wouldn't allow for any type of distraction at debates and they would be forced to talk about Ron more and in the media as well. Sometimes i have to pinch myself that this idiot is still even around though, he should have been left for dead after IA ended and he gets a major leg humping from CNN to revive him.

If he does though, dont look for his support to come to us, it would be split between Mitt and Newt.

I remember Ricky saying in Iowa he would only drop out if he came in last (like Michelle did). He must of had no clue how well he was going to do there to make a statement like that.

This is where supporters of the candidates probably will go if its another choice. I am basing this on talking with people. Newt is where the best potential for soft supporters of Ron Paul are. That is why Newt is talking gold commission, Fed and borrowing Ron's platform to keep those soft supporters that would go to RP.

Newt> Ron Paul or Santorum
Santorum> Romney
Romney> Santorum or Ron Paul
Soft Ron Paul> Newt

green73
01-26-2012, 12:39 PM
The Establishment won't let him drop out. It will be much harder to ignore RP in the debates.

Athan
01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Megyn Kelly debunking Frothy... why did that just paint a picture in my mind? :8
Cuz, you naughty. It's ok, I thought the same.

luctor-et-emergo
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Intrade gives a 49.9% chance for this to happen; (at the moment of posting this...)

"Rick Santorum to dropout of the 2012 Presidential race before midnight ET 05 Feb 2012"

Newt is at 1.9%
Ron/Mitt at 1.5%

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/contract/?contractId=750069

Darthbrooklyn
01-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Ron needs to smash Santorum tonight as the final nail in the coffin... Or smash somebody at least

RonPaul101.com
01-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't think this necessarily means Ricky drops out before FL. It makes sense for him to skip FL, this is what winner-take-all states will do to candidates; that is why Paul is leaving after the debate. Ricky's people were just slow to realize it's the smart thing to do.

But this does make 3rd place possible for Paul as long as his grassroots supporters in FL keep up the fight for their man while he's in ME/NV.

Brian4Liberty
01-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Probably 99% of the people supporting Santorum do not even know about George Romney. They only hear Mitt Romney saying kill the Taliban! and his other war drum propaganda in the debates.

Of course the majority of those supporters don't know about George Romney. Mark Levin knows about George Romney, and he forms their opinions. What's the use of having a hidden agenda if everyone knows about it?

millercards
01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Relevant question:

After the debate tonight, the next one isn't until February 22nd? http://www.2012presidentialelectionnews.com/2012-debate-schedule/2011-2012-primary-debate-schedule/

is this true?

If it is.... Santorum could drop after the debate (after he distracts from Ron Paul), then the establishment would have a month to plan before the next time Ron Paul's voice is on TV. A month to get another candidate in the mix? A month to try to drive Paul out more?

Either way... it always means the same to us.... Keep pushing Harder!!!

Gary4Liberty
01-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Isnt Florida worth only 25 delegates now instead of 50 something to do with changing the voting date or something?

ByeByeBernanke
01-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Isnt Florida worth only 25 delegates now instead of 50 something to do with changing the voting date or something?

I believe it's 50 down from 100.

millercards
01-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Both of you above.... "Newt" has been implanted in our skulls for such a long time now. Because of the media, I've known the word Newt since I first heard of politics. Also Mitt is catching too. I can't help saying "Mitt" it's just a funny name.

Santorum you don't hear as much about and Rick is common so people say Santorum.

Ron Paul.... we all know who we're talking about: The doctor, King of Liberty, Ron, RP, Paul, Dr. Ron, Dr. paul, Dr. Ron Paul, Captain America....

The argument was silly in the first place.... don't get so defensive about things or attack each other.

musicmax
01-26-2012, 01:38 PM

Confession.

musicmax
01-26-2012, 01:39 PM

50 down from 99 to be precise.:)

Captain Shays
01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Anyone here who is a Christian should start now going into every Christian forum and making the case for Ron Paul

Gary4Liberty
01-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Just watched Santa on faux news. He is not dropping out. He is planning to be in for months. He is ripping off RP with his its early, there are 47 more states to go, polls dont mean anything because they change all the time.. im in it for the long haul blah blah blah blah YAK PUKE ad nauseum....

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 01:45 PM
No, he's stealing Ron's campaign plan. He just had a successful moneybomb. ALTHOUGH, if he plans to run for federal office he could use that money for seed money for any federal contest.....hmmmmm.....

But my understanding is he is doing two fundraisers in VA and then will be campaigning, maybe in FL and maybe competing with Ron in the other states. WE wanted a head start and he doesn't plan to give us one.

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Just watched Santa on faux news. He is not dropping out. He is planning to be in for months. He is ripping off RP with his its early, there are 47 more states to go, polls dont mean anything because they change all the time.. im in it for the long haul blah blah blah blah YAK PUKE ad nauseum....

I strongly suspect this is the Wilsonian/neoconservate way of combatting Ron. To long term split 'anti Romney votes' as K was so worried about in that Fox interview

Tyler_Durden
01-26-2012, 01:51 PM
No, he's stealing Ron's campaign plan. He just had a successful moneybomb. ALTHOUGH, if he plans to run for federal office he could use that money for seed money for any federal contest.....hmmmmm.....

But my understanding is he is doing two fundraisers in VA and then will be campaigning, maybe in FL and maybe competing with Ron in the other states. WE wanted a head start and he doesn't plan to give us one.

Ode to Frothy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP8Mkw1wsao&sns=em

millercards
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Anyone here who is a Christian should start now going into every Christian forum and making the case for Ron Paul

Good idea... I just posted in 2 forums asking about this article:

http://www.newswithviews.com/baldwin/baldwin455.htm

I didn't mention Ron Paul's name yet.

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 02:00 PM
He will be going to VA for those fundraisers (interestingly Romney is also going to VA to campaign in Tysons) then will be back in Florida: http://hotair.com/archives/2012/01/26/santorum-responds-to-exit-rumors-with-his-schedule-hell-be-in-florida-until-monday/

but he's definitely not spending money there and will be using that in later states.

Havax
01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Met a guy the other day at my training. He's hardcore Catholic and said he's between Paul and Santorum. Life is his biggest issue and he can't bring himself to support Santorum because he backed Specter. He knows Ron is pro-life but just a little "too libertarian" for him. I sold him a good amount and I think Ron could take a lot of honest Santorum votes who are staunchly pro-life if he can play that up enough. War didn't seem to be a big issue for him at all. He said he could never vote for Newt/Romney.

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Met a guy the other day at my training. He's hardcore Catholic and said he's between Paul and Santorum. Life is his biggest issue and he can't bring himself to support Santorum because he backed Specter. He knows Ron is pro-life but just a little "too libertarian" for him. I sold him a good amount and I think Ron could take a lot of honest Santorum votes who are staunchly pro-life if he can play that up enough. War didn't seem to be a big issue for him at all. He said he could never vote for Newt/Romney.

I wondered about that. I read about several people deciding between Santorum and Ron and I just went: :eek:

We should do something with that NPR article of Ron's medical partner saying the two things Ron required of him to join the practice were 1. No abortions; and 2. Don't take medicare or medicaid, but don't turn people away who can't pay and treat them just like anyone else, at discount or for free.

AhuwaleKaNaneHuna
01-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm has anyone told santorum and his money backers just how poorly he does in polls against Obama?

No way moving foward is the majority of the U.S. going to elect such a strict religious/social conservative.

Just not going to happen.

surf
01-26-2012, 02:25 PM

Confession.winner

RonRules
01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
If this Santorum pull out is confirmed, I would say, don't spend a dime more in FLA. Take that $1.4 mil Rev Pac money to caucus states.

KramerDSP
01-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Folks,

Put Ron Paul's name in this media article, and we would spend three pages attacking the author for incorrectly reporting that RP may be dropping out. He's not going A N Y W H E R E and just might go all the way to the convention unless Newt promises him something major for an endorsement.

Santorum is basically playing the Middle linebacker shadow position, with Ron Paul as the quarterback on the other end.

PastaRocket848
01-26-2012, 02:34 PM
if he drops out that is very bad from a perception standpoint. we will be coming in last every contest instead of third. third is now the new last. that sucks, really.

Darthbrooklyn
01-26-2012, 02:43 PM
if he drops out that is very bad from a perception standpoint. we will be coming in last every contest instead of third. third is now the new last. that sucks, really.

Not really... 3rd would be last is there is a huge margin between 2nd and 3rd.. but if your 3rd by less than 10 points , i would call that a 3 man race..

affa
01-26-2012, 02:50 PM
For those of you dealing with people deciding between Paul and Santorum (what?!?!)... Santorum has several extremely anti-liberty quotes on youtube. If you don't think they'll work, might I suggest the 'Santorum has no chance in the general' approach?

maxxgraphix
01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Word from a Santorum worker is that he plans on staying in until Super Tuesday. He like Paul is not spending much $ in FL and will focus on other smaller states. So I don't expect him to drop out yet. But soon I would think.

jax
01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Where does it say he's dropping out? Rons not in florida either buts not dropping out

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Folks,

Put Ron Paul's name in this media article, and we would spend three pages attacking the author for incorrectly reporting that RP may be dropping out. He's not going A N Y W H E R E and just might go all the way to the convention unless Newt promises him something major for an endorsement.

Santorum is basically playing the Middle linebacker shadow position, with Ron Paul as the quarterback on the other end.

If he has the money to go that far it isn't coming from 'backers' but from those opposing others not wanting them (us) to get delegates. He never had fundraising until the media created bump when CNN created that fake surge in Iowa by only polling GOP for a primary where you can register to vote at caucus. The segment with 'conviction' for Santorum is minute.

EndTheFed
01-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Where does it say he's dropping out? Rons not in florida either buts not dropping out

Hmmm, maybe that is why there is a question mark at the end of the title. Ya think?

:) :)

Feelgood
01-26-2012, 02:57 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/72019.html

Fredom101
01-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Seems to me his supporters would flock to Gingrich.

Let me ask something, is there even 1 person in America who is inspired by Newt Gingrich? I never voted for GW Bush, but I at least kind of understood why people might have liked him. Gingrich? Seems like the poster boy for fatcats and the status quo.

Sola_Fide
01-26-2012, 03:05 PM
I still think some of his evangelicals, pro-liters and gun rights people will find their way here soon enough despite what crosstabs suggest.

I'm sure they will love to see him described as "Frothy" in every other post. That's really classy on our part.

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Seems to me his supporters would flock to Gingrich.

Let me ask something, is there even 1 person in America who is inspired by Newt Gingrich? I never voted for GW Bush, but I at least kind of understood why people might have liked him. Gingrich? Seems like the poster boy for fatcats and the status quo.

I have actually read a number of brief comments of 'voters' saying they are deciding between Ron and Santorum. I guess on the pro-life vote since that is the cross over they have.

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm sure they will love to see him described as "Frothy" in every other post. That's really classy on our part.

seriously, guys, cut it out. I have to edit it when I see it. It is against TOS and is NOT going to help us with his supporters looking for an alternate candidate. Besides, the joke is pretty old, don't you think?

alucard13mmfmj
01-26-2012, 03:31 PM
santorum is going to take a hit for the GOP team. imma miss santorum and his antics.

OR... maybe hes going to campaign in the later states? the caucus states like Ron?

Cabal
01-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Santorum is a big government, anti-liberty, pro-war, pro-deficit spending republicrat. I can't imagine any of his supporters coming to Ron's side.

Liberty74
01-26-2012, 03:39 PM

This is correct.

affa
01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Santorum is a big government, anti-liberty, pro-war, pro-deficit spending republicrat. I can't imagine any of his supporters coming to Ron's side.

you confuse the electorate with people familiar with not only the issues, but the candidates past actions in regard to the issues.

Indiana4Paul
01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
santorum is going to take a hit for the GOP team. imma miss santorum and his antics.

OR... maybe hes going to campaign in the later states? the caucus states like Ron?

This is a quote from Santorum immediately after the SC primary:
"Let me assure you we will go to Florida and we will go to Arizona"

Taken from this AP article (http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/politics&id=8514211).

Now, Huntsman and Perry both said they were competing in SC and campaigned in the state before each dropped out the week of the primary. Could happen with Santorum in Florida.

But he specifically mentioned Arizona and that is interesting. He obviously knew that Nevada, Maine, Colorado and Minnesota caucused before the Arizona Primary and Michigan caucused the same day as Arizona, so it could have been a little bit of a tell on his strategy. I'm a novice at this stuff but it certainly seems plausible as a strategy to let Newt, Romney and Paul duke it out in the caucus' and fight for votes in Michigan while Santorum focuses all of his limited resources on Arizona.
Arizona is a week before Super Tuesday and maybe his team is aiming for a 2nd Santorum SurgeTM for that day.

skytoucher
01-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I don't think Santorum will drop out anytime soon. Even if he just sits at home and then shows up at the debates.

If you were the establishment would you really want Ron Paul in a 3 person debate? I don't think the establishment is worried about a Paul presidency, they are more worried about Paul getting time to deliver his message on MSM. The only time Ron Paul gets massive exposure to the MSM crowd is during the speech that happens after each primary and during the debates. The establishment can't do much about the after primary speeches but the debates are another issue.

IMO the changes to the GOP rules this year were because of Paul. Remember, he stayed in it till the end last time. I think Paul would be doing worse under the old rules. The trade off is the establishment can justify more people staying in the race longer, thus cutting into Paul's exposure with the MSM crowd.