PDA

View Full Version : Bit Torrent

pcgame
01-26-2012, 11:06 AM

pcgame
02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
BUMP

if anyone has any invites to an good trackers PM me. (hint, I like e-Learning).

pacelli
02-18-2012, 10:24 AM
what's a torrent?

pcgame
02-19-2012, 08:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_%28protocol%29

pcgame
03-14-2012, 09:47 AM
bump

pcosmar
03-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Rule #1

don't talk about pirate club.

pcgame
03-14-2012, 09:55 AM
I didn't mention anything illegal. Torrents are not illegal.

WilliamC
03-14-2012, 09:58 AM
It's pretty simple to read about the software and figure out what it does.

Since I really am not that much into entertainment I don't download movies or games or software or music or such.

I do have a penchant for collecting textbooks though, and darned if they don't take up lot's of space in my room.

And they are heavy ;)

WilliamC
03-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Here is something my 13 year old son showed me, might be worth looking at.

torproject.org

pcgame
03-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Here is something my 13 year old son showed me, might be worth looking at.

torproject.org

I already knew about this.

pcosmar
03-14-2012, 10:06 AM
I didn't mention anything illegal. Torrents are not illegal.

Some folks don't like the idea of file sharing,, and it often ends up a long heated debate.
Just trying to save you from the Copyright crowd.
;)

maskander
03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
i hate to admit it, but in a free market, file sharing should be illegal, but it is acceptable under current conditions.

Dreamofunity
03-16-2012, 08:48 AM
i hate to admit it, but in a free market, file sharing should be illegal, but it is acceptable under current conditions.

Hardly. Cost of enforcement, especially if individual companies were to internalize the full cost, would be astronomical. The cost of enforcement for Copyright is currently heavily subsidized by the state, and it still does not work. Instead, realizing the almost impossibility of preventing pirating, private companies would most likely innovate on different margins, bundling the non-rivalous, non-excludable goods with private, excludable goods. They may innovate and try to make their product excludable (DRM, and what not), but given the ability for people to just work around it, which still leaves us with the high enforcement costs against those that do, they would most likely go for some form of bundling. For example, most video games are able to be pirated, but I'd much rather buy from Steam given they bundle the public good (the video game) with the private, excludable, good of dedicated servers, friends list, and customer support. Companies that waste their resources on Copyright enforcement would most likely lose out against companies that innovate on delivery and bundling.

TL;DR, due to extremely high costs of enforcement, and the necessity to internalize enforcement costs when there is a minimal (to no) state, file sharing would likely not be illegal -- and even if it were, it wouldn't matter, like today's situation.

Demigod
03-16-2012, 09:04 AM
They shut down most of the torrent sites just after they closed Megaupload and the rest just went down because of future law suits .

Now because I live in a part of the world where things like laws don`t matter :D especially copyrights of a foreign company,here are some sites:

Torrents:

http://zamunda.net/ This is the best site for torrents at the moment there are plenty of seeders all the time.Now you need to be a Bulgarian to us the site but I can get you a public account ( a lot of people using one account ) if you are interested.

If you are just interested in torrents to watch movies :

http://www.1channel.ch/ You can watch almost any movie in a week from release

But as I said earlier where I live there are absolutely no problems with copyright,but from what I have read you in the US have a lot so at least use a proxy or a public connection when downloading.

newuser123
03-16-2012, 09:12 AM
For example, most video games are able to be pirated, but I'd much rather buy from Steam given they bundle the public good (the video game) with the private, excludable, good of dedicated servers, friends list, and customer support.

Yep. It's no surprise that the best selling, most popular games are completely useless to pirate. Look at what activision-blizzard and Riot games are doing. They host online play and issue continual content updates through their servers. This is obviously the correct business model for pc gaming.

Demigod
03-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Yep. It's no surprise that the best selling, most popular games are completely useless to pirate. Look at what activision-blizzard and Riot games are doing. They host online play and issue continual content updates through their servers. This is obviously the correct business model for pc gaming.

There are pirate servers and any update can be downloaded as a patch the next day.

newuser123
03-16-2012, 09:30 AM
There are pirate servers and any update can be downloaded as a patch the next day.

Yea and how popular are they? They aren't. The companies I listed are making huge profits year after year. No one wants to go through all that hassle and play on a shitty, low population, unstable server.

Demigod
03-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Yea and how popular are they? They aren't. The companies I listed are making huge profits year after year. No one wants to go through all that hassle and play on a shitty, low population, unstable server.

WHAT?

Pirate servers for COD 2 ( the game that is like more than 10 years old ) have 50+ people ( and everything above 20 is crowded because the maps are small )

There are pirate servers for WOW that are as big as the biggest ones from Blizzard and are stable.Perhaps for people in the USA it is a hassle to play on a pirate server but most people around the world would rather go trough 5 min of hassle then to pay Blizzard money for a service they do not need.

newuser123
03-16-2012, 09:50 AM
And most people around the world would rather go trough a couple of minutes of hassle to get something for free then to give money when there is no need to.

Then how do you explain that WOW currently has over 10 million subscribers?

And the other games I was referring to - LOL and SC2 - it would be almost impossible to set up a private server that had matchmaking and ranked play on a level even close to as good as the official servers.

Demigod
03-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Then how do you explain that WOW currently has over 10 million subscribers?

And the other games I was referring to - LOL and SC2 - it would be almost impossible to set up a private server that had matchmaking and ranked play on a level even close to as good as the official servers.

Is LOL League of Legends he game they made after DOTA and SC is starcraft?

There are servers for this games on Garena and many other places.All the servers are stable and there are no problems.

No one bans WOW to have subscribers but if you put all the pirate servers together I would bet on a number far greater than 10 million

At the height of popularity of DOTA (the scenario for Frozen Throne ) it had more players on known pirate servers than WOW. Not to even mention Counter Strike

pcosmar
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Yes there are,, and they suck. they are free, but they suck.

The reason for most of the success of Games Like WoW is the community interaction as much as the game service itself.. And that is NOT the same on the "Private Servers"..

newuser123
03-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Is LOL League of Legends he game they made after DOTA and SC is starcraft?

Yes. They innovated a new, free-to-play business model to great success and are about to surpass Blizzard in revenue.

youngbuck
03-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Rule #1

don't talk about pirate club.

Exactly.