PDA

View Full Version : National Defense The Ron Paul Way

ItsTime
01-26-2012, 08:20 AM
http://bedford-nh.patch.com/blog_posts/national-defense-the-ron-paul-way

The author has just started a facebook fan page as well. I know him personally, he worked as, a volunteer, co-chair for the county next to mine. He was literally out every weekend sign waving, canvasing and going door to door. Show him some love and like his page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bill-Walker/222478167836386

Darthbrooklyn
01-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Great article, somehow most of the people though, trade logic for fear, and is something our movement has to address

A. Havnes
01-26-2012, 08:42 AM
No problem.

Captain Shays
01-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Your buddy made a great case for the Swiss style defense and we need everyone who knows about it to make that case because it's inherently American. The Swiss style defense is inherently American because at the time of our Constitutional convention the Swiss were entering their 400th year of peace so your buddy's details are just a little off. The Swiss didn't declare their neutrality in 1815 like the website said. They had their Swiss Convention in 1281. It was Brother Klause a Jesuit monk who was called down from his monastery in the Alps to preside over the Swiss convention and that's when he presented to them the Christian Just War Principles. They accepted them and declared their neutrality at that time. But it became our type of foreign policy and our style of defense from the very beginning of our country. When we talk about these principles it will strike a chord in the heart of most Americans.
Fast forward to our own Constitution convention, our founders so admired the Swiss that they wrote letters to them declaring Switzerland "our sister nation". they proceeded to model our own foreign policy and our style of defense after Switzerland which by definition is a militia style defense meaning EVERY able bodied person is part of the militia yet they have a small standing army. But the important thing to consider was our founding in armed neutrality.

"Indulging no passions which trespass on the rights or the repose of other nations, it has been the true glory of the United States to cultivate peace by observing justice, and to entitle themselves to the respect of the nations at war by fulfilling their neutral obligations with the most scrupulous impartiality". James Madison (1751-1836) First Inaugural Address - March 4, 1809

"I have always given it as my decided opinion that no nation had a right to inter-meddle in the internal concerns of another; and that, if this country could, consistent with its engagements, maintain a strict neutrality and thereby preserve peace". George Washington - Letter to James Monroe, August 25, 1796

"Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all. ...The nation which indulges toward another an habitual hatred or an habitual fondness is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its interest". George Washington - Farewell Address, September 17, 1797

One of the main differences as outlined in Federalist Paper 29 is that the Swiss have and always had a mandatory conscription or draft. But when discussing this our founders rejected it as a form of slavery where the government can take a person against their will to fight in a war that they didn't believe in. The founders were also concerned that the executive would start to act like a king and send our sons to fight wars that he alone got us into.

"The constitution vests the power of declaring war in Congress; therefore no offensive expedition of importance can be undertaken until after they shall have deliberated upon the subject and authorized such a measure".

~George Washington

"The executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question, whether there is or is not cause for declaring war".

~James Madison

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the legislature".

~James Madison

"The constitution supposes, what the History of all Governments demonstrates, that the Executive is the branch of power most interested in war, and most prone to it".

~James Madison

It was during the SALT I treaty negotiations in 1971 that precluded both sides from installing missile defense and civil defense systems they did allow for protecting the capitals of both countries with a missile defense and a civil defense system. The trouble with that is Moscow has only 1/10 of their population and surrounding Washington is nearly 70% of our population. But both countries have never given up in developing viable systems and the Soviets turned Russians have been peddling their version on world markets for quite some times just as we have We were even in competition for the Israeli market back in the late 90's.
Anyway it was SALT I when we totally abandoned our original style of defense.
We have different enemies now and we should fast track our civil and missile defense systems and I wish Ron Paul would come out and say that.

ItsTime
01-26-2012, 03:02 PM
^Great post.

Telomerase
01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi, I'm the author. Yeah, the Swiss tried to set up their system earlier but got involved in the Napoleonic Wars. So they only have a little less than 200 years with no foreign wars (there was a religious intercanton squabble in the 1800s)... and the Swedes (also with a militia system) actually beat them by one year, no wars since 1814 ;)

>we should fast track our civil and missile defense systems

That's for sure.

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi, I'm the author. Yeah, the Swiss tried to set up their system earlier but got involved in the Napoleonic Wars. So they only have a little less than 200 years with no foreign wars (there was a religious intercanton squabble in the 1800s)... and the Swedes (also with a militia system) actually beat them by one year, no wars since 1814 ;)

That's for sure.
Welcome to the forums!

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
It was during the SALT I treaty negotiations in 1971 that precluded both sides from installing missile defense and civil defense systems they did allow for protecting the capitals of both countries with a missile defense and a civil defense system. The trouble with that is Moscow has only 1/10 of their population and surrounding Washington is nearly 70% of our population. But both countries have never given up in developing viable systems and the Soviets turned Russians have been peddling their version on world markets for quite some times just as we have We were even in competition for the Israeli market back in the late 90's.
We have different enemies now and we should fast track our civil and missile defense systems and I wish Ron Paul would come out and say that.

That was a big reason why Ron Paul opposed SALT

Constitutional Paulicy
01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Your buddy made a great case for the Swiss style defense and we need everyone who knows about it to make that case because it's inherently American. The Swiss style defense is inherently American because at the time of our Constitutional convention the Swiss were entering their 400th year of peace so your buddy's details are just a little off. The Swiss didn't declare their neutrality in 1815 like the website said. They had their Swiss Convention in 1281. It was Brother Klause a Jesuit monk who was called down from his monastery in the Alps to preside over the Swiss convention and that's when he presented to them the Christian Just War Principles. They accepted them and declared their neutrality at that time. But it became our type of foreign policy and our style of defense from the very beginning of our country. When we talk about these principles it will strike a chord in the heart of most Americans.
Fast forward to our own Constitution convention, our founders so admired the Swiss that they wrote letters to them declaring Switzerland "our sister nation". they proceeded to model our own foreign policy and our style of defense after Switzerland which by definition is a militia style defense meaning EVERY able bodied person is part of the militia yet they have a small standing army. But the important thing to consider was our founding in armed neutrality.

"Indulging no passions which trespass on the rights or the repose of other nations, it has been the true glory of the United States to cultivate peace by observing justice, and to entitle themselves to the respect of the nations at war by fulfilling their neutral obligations with the most scrupulous impartiality". James Madison (1751-1836) First Inaugural Address - March 4, 1809

"I have always given it as my decided opinion that no nation had a right to inter-meddle in the internal concerns of another; and that, if this country could, consistent with its engagements, maintain a strict neutrality and thereby preserve peace". George Washington - Letter to James Monroe, August 25, 1796

"Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all. ...The nation which indulges toward another an habitual hatred or an habitual fondness is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its interest". George Washington - Farewell Address, September 17, 1797

One of the main differences as outlined in Federalist Paper 29 is that the Swiss have and always had a mandatory conscription or draft. But when discussing this our founders rejected it as a form of slavery where the government can take a person against their will to fight in a war that they didn't believe in. The founders were also concerned that the executive would start to act like a king and send our sons to fight wars that he alone got us into.

"The constitution vests the power of declaring war in Congress; therefore no offensive expedition of importance can be undertaken until after they shall have deliberated upon the subject and authorized such a measure".

~George Washington

"The executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question, whether there is or is not cause for declaring war".

~James Madison

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the legislature".

~James Madison

"The constitution supposes, what the History of all Governments demonstrates, that the Executive is the branch of power most interested in war, and most prone to it".

~James Madison

Wow thanks for posting that.

affa
01-26-2012, 03:55 PM
this article is awesome.

alucard13mmfmj
01-26-2012, 04:03 PM
I think Ron Paul will be a good commander in chief. He wont dilly dally and enter a quagmire war. I think he will go all out and bomb the hell out of a country after he exhausted all diplomatic options and negotiations.

If you think about it, the war has been going on for 10+ years. Every day for the last 10 years, people die from suicide bombers, friendlyfire, collateral damage, accidents from the war, starvation, disease, and lack of necessities. I think if we went all out at the begining and end this within 3-4 years, there would be a lot less civilian deaths and suffering.

And we need to stop painting Ron Paul as anti-war. He only will go to war once all options are used up.

ItsTime
01-27-2012, 03:48 PM

That's for sure.

Sup Bill see you Sunday!