PDA

View Full Version : The real strategy... and why you should never, ever second-guess the impact we are making

rachmiel
01-25-2012, 09:59 PM
We're raising an army. It takes time to train millions of warriors to take back the country with the power of an idea. So it requires patience.

Politics is a horse race, thanks to an industry of journalists tasked with crafting a narrative that evokes maximum excitement from the public. And I'm learning not to get so stressed out about it. After the dust settles, and after the masses have forgotten about Michele Bachmann, and Tim Pawlenty, and Rick Perry, and Herman Cain, and John Huntsman, and Rick Santorum, and Newt Gingrich, and even Mitt Romney, our ideological army will be left intact, more experienced in battle, and overflowing with new recruits. I believe, truly, once you go libertarian, you can really never go back. And that is why we will win in the end. We're playing the long game.

For better or worse, politics is not our strategy. Our strategy is ideas. Re-education. Enlightenment. It's substantive, and it sticks. Political theater, which is basically a form of entertainment, comes and goes like fashion, but the truth is eternal.

For stock traders (and fans of loose analogies), I liken it to technical vs. fundamentals analysis. I feel like people who look at charts and trends trying to divine the future often miss the point. There's a reason Warren Buffett (the most celebrated fundamental trader of our time) is the richest trader of them all - because he doesn't pay attention to the horse race, the fluctuations, or make decisions based on the vagaries of the fickle masses. He focuses on the power of an idea, and makes his bets accordingly.

As for me, I've placed my bet on the truth of liberty, and I'm going all in. :)

Rocco
01-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Awesome awesome post. +rep :)

sailingaway
01-26-2012, 12:38 AM
As a side effect of Ron winning the nomination, ideas will be sown.

However, this is not just an idea campaign, it also has an electoral goal. But if the electoral goal isn't achieved, there is always the other one.

alucard13mmfmj
01-26-2012, 12:41 AM
the only concern i have is how long these ideas will stay around. hardcore supporters will almost always stay with the message. the soft supporters, im not too sure. its easy for them to get back into the lame MSM and corrupted system.

at any rate, regardless if Ron wins or not.. we must act fast before people forget about this movement. we need to do something about the situation of our country. if ron wins, great! but if ron loses, we must start something before the message is lost again.

eleganz
01-26-2012, 12:50 AM
I do agree with the general premise of the OP, also that second guessing our improvement is counter-productive.

BUT

Winning the election will send this movement into hyper-speed.

Johncjackson
01-26-2012, 01:04 AM
the only concern i have is how long these ideas will stay around. hardcore supporters will almost always stay with the message. the soft supporters, im not too sure. its easy for them to get back into the lame MSM and corrupted system.

at any rate, regardless if Ron wins or not.. we must act fast before people forget about this movement. we need to do something about the situation of our country. if ron wins, great! but if ron loses, we must start something before the message is lost again.

It's not about Ron Paul. People in the movement only as supporters of Ron Paul the politician are not full supporters of the ideas we need to move our country forward.

Yes, your concerns are valid. I think there is still a lot of work to do.

J_White
01-26-2012, 01:06 AM
agree with the re-education and the battle of ideas !
but I am sure hoping that Dr.Paul's campaign is able to pull a rabbit out of its hat in the next 10 days or so !!
if we win or get a good second in the coming states, it will be a boost.
February 4, 2012 Nevada (caucus)
February 4–11, 2012 Maine (caucus)
February 7, 2012 Colorado (caucus)
Minnesota (caucus)
Missouri (primary)
What are our chances there ?

anaconda
01-26-2012, 01:13 AM
I believe, truly, once you go libertarian, you can really never go back.

Isn't America evidence that the opposite is true? I am not so optimistic as you.

thoughtomator
01-26-2012, 01:13 AM
After the campaign, regardless of the outcome, my next project will be to organize boycotts of advertisers on biased media networks.

emr1028
01-26-2012, 01:29 AM
Amen. I do not personally expect to win this election, but I expect us to win the future. We've put together a large network of politically motivated people who can share ideas, strategy, and money. We will run people for elected office at every level and in every house. One day we will get a president... it may not be 2012, it may not be 2016, but it will happen eventually. The brush-fires of liberty have been planted in the minds of the next generation. Change will be hard, but it will come.

Paul Fan
01-26-2012, 01:52 AM
I think Campaign for Liberty, or someone else, should create a certification process that will rank entities (businesses, charities, etc) into three or four tiers according to how much government assistance they get. Then liberty-minded people can give to/do business with the ones that rank best (ie least government involvement). Put our money where our mouth is.

We need to grow an independence culture so people won't be so scared of losing government.

eleganz
01-26-2012, 01:54 AM
But also think about it this way, if Ron doesn't make it in 2012, if we don't get organized and productive in time, we're going to lose a lot of supporters for 2016 if Rand runs...look how many people simply disappeared from 08 and didn't start getting back into the game until recently.

We can't afford it...we have to make it happen.

WIwarrior
01-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Our country does not have the luxury to wait another four years for a liberty candidate to show up. We need to win now because our country is going to look very different by the time we have another election. We are on the verge of an economic catastrophe that will change our world forever. As we all know the government "never wastes a crisis" and I assure you when this happens the few liberties and freedoms that we had will be gone. Government will get bigger, more intrusive and more desperate to squash our ideas.

This is our last hope or we are all doomed.

LiveForHonortune
01-26-2012, 02:37 AM
The thing is, will this movement last?

Either Ron Paul ends up being the next Barry Goldwater or the next Ross Perot/Ralph Nader.

TheLasersShadow
01-26-2012, 03:44 AM
Op's right this is chess not checkers, the word revolution isn't a gimmick. This revolution didn't start with Ron Paul but is an offshoot of the freedom/patriot movement from decades ago. Same goals same message more or less, FREEDOM! SOVEREIGNTY!

rachmiel
01-26-2012, 03:47 AM
But also think about it this way, if Ron doesn't make it in 2012, if we don't get organized and productive in time, we're going to lose a lot of supporters for 2016 if Rand runs...look how many people simply disappeared from 08 and didn't start getting back into the game until recently.

We can't afford it...we have to make it happen.

It's true. Most people's involvement in politics is seasonal. I was one of those people who disappeared after 2008, and I do regret it. But I'm back. And I'm positive the large majority of supporters from 2008 are back too, pushing forward the movement in whatever way they can.

This phenomenon is more than a cult of personality, and it's why I emphasize the ideological campaign. Here's a comparison for the sake of explanation.

Ross Perot ran in consecutive elections, and his performance in the second was significantly poorer than the first. Ralph Nader was insignificantly lame both times. They didn't leave any lasting legacies between election years.

Why have we bucked the trend? Granted, the economy has gotten crappier, and that always helps alternative movements. The stars are aligning, surely. But there's more to it than that.

Ron Paul's gift to us has been to lay out an ideological foundation that is much greater than Ron Paul the man and politician. None of these alternative candidates I mentioned were really more than personalities. People voted for them because they were saying some refreshing things, but there was no overarching ideology other than being the un-cola. In due time, their acts grew tired and their shelf-lives expired. They never converted anyone to anything. Ron is getting young people to read books and articles and interpret events in a newly critical way. How many books did Perot or Nader inspire anyone to read?

Even if Ron does win, that would only be the beginning. He would have his bully pulpit, which would be powerful (and thrilling), but in order to get most things done, we would need to elect legislators who would choose to work with him rather than against him. In fact, a Ron Paul victory could actually bring about a complacency in our movement, a false sense of a "mission accomplished." Regardless of the success of his Presidency, I sense it's the idea of revolution that ignites the deepest passions inside us. And just how revolutionary can you really be once you've already had your guy in office for a few years?

I want so deeply for Ron Paul to win, and I think he has a better chance than most realize. But if he doesn't, it would only mean that victory would have been premature. Imagine a primary where all the candidates were liberty clones, rather than military-industrial complex theocracy clones. If we can keep things in perspective and remember that it's not just about the Paul franchise, but the message of liberty, we can eventually stack the decks, and we will guarantee our victory in the future.

patalina
01-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Amen, this is a movement...it's about more than an election for me personally

01-26-2012, 06:40 AM
The thing is, will this movement last?

Either Ron Paul ends up being the next Barry Goldwater or the next Ross Perot/Ralph Nader.

They all lost, not the best analogy. Goldwater especially, he got thrown under the bus by the GOP same as Ron.

Indiana4Paul
01-26-2012, 07:38 AM
It's true. Most people's involvement in politics is seasonal. I was one of those people who disappeared after 2008, and I do regret it. But I'm back. And I'm positive the large majority of supporters from 2008 are back too, pushing forward the movement in whatever way they can.

This phenomenon is more than a cult of personality, and it's why I emphasize the ideological campaign. Here's a comparison for the sake of explanation.

Ross Perot ran in consecutive elections, and his performance in the second was significantly poorer than the first. Ralph Nader was insignificantly lame both times. They didn't leave any lasting legacies between election years.

Why have we bucked the trend? Granted, the economy has gotten crappier, and that always helps alternative movements. The stars are aligning, surely. But there's more to it than that.

Ron Paul's gift to us has been to lay out an ideological foundation that is much greater than Ron Paul the man and politician. None of these alternative candidates I mentioned were really more than personalities. People voted for them because they were saying some refreshing things, but there was no overarching ideology other than being the un-cola. In due time, their acts grew tired and their shelf-lives expired. They never converted anyone to anything. Ron is getting young people to read books and articles and interpret events in a newly critical way. How many books did Perot or Nader inspire anyone to read?

Even if Ron does win, that would only be the beginning. He would have his bully pulpit, which would be powerful (and thrilling), but in order to get most things done, we would need to elect legislators who would choose to work with him rather than against him. In fact, a Ron Paul victory could actually bring about a complacency in our movement, a false sense of a "mission accomplished." Regardless of the success of his Presidency, I sense it's the idea of revolution that ignites the deepest passions inside us. And just how revolutionary can you really be once you've already had your guy in office for a few years?

I want so deeply for Ron Paul to win, and I think he has a better chance than most realize. But if he doesn't, it would only mean that victory would have been premature. Imagine a primary where all the candidates were liberty clones, rather than military-industrial complex theocracy clones. If we can keep things in perspective and remember that it's not just about the Paul franchise, but the message of liberty, we can eventually stack the decks, and we will guarantee our victory in the future.

So beautifully stated in your original post and this one.

Your message is also very true. Now it is up to us to further push the message of Liberty by winning some of the upcoming caucus states!