PDA

View Full Version : What if Paul provided . . .

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Official Documents that he can legally present to the public, and he announced in a debate where people can find them on his website?

Documents pertaining to Foreign Policy, Economic Policy, or some other alternative issue that people are skeptical of on Ron?

mainstream economist
01-25-2012, 08:21 PM
If he were to do something like this, he should set up his own URL-shortening site (similar to bit.ly)...

During the debate, he could refer to "rplinks.com/gingrich1", "rplinks.com/911comm", "rplinks.com/ciairanreport", "rplinks.com/fakecuts", "rplinks.com/mittisobama"...

However, there is a danger that such web links might be overused, so if he did use them, I would limit them to one or two that critically expose the RINOs on stage.

Honestly, I cannot really draw a conclusion on whether this would help or hurt...but, hey, it might be worth thinking about carefully.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-25-2012, 08:22 PM
If he were to do something like this, he should set up his own URL-shortening site (similar to bit.ly)...

During the debate, he could refer to "rplinks.com/gingrich1", "rplinks.com/911comm", "rplinks.com/ciairanreport", "rplinks.com/fakecuts", "rplinks.com/mittisobama"...

However, there is a danger that such web links might be overused, so if he did use them, I would limit them to one or two that critically expose the RINOs on stage.

Honestly, I cannot really draw a conclusion on whether this would help or hurt...but, hey, it might be worth thinking about carefully.

I also enjoy the idea, that Ron Paul should walk on stage with a copy of an official document regarding foreign policy, and read straight from the document during a debate.

Feeding the Abscess
01-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Eh... not sure. I'll have to think about it more. Seems too gimmicky, though.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Eh... not sure. I'll have to think about it more. Seems too gimmicky, though.

The uninformed Americans, enjoy showmanship. Perhaps such a stunt, would trigger a spark to get people to actually research candidates instead of talking points.

Sentinelrv
01-25-2012, 08:30 PM
I think we need to accept the fact that people are lazy. You need to bring this information to them in a debate or they won't go looking for it. It also has to be simplified and easy to understand. On foreign policy, I think people really just need to be assured that Ron Paul will defend us against people who want to do us harm. They want to feel safe with him as president. It's all about emotion here. Constantly telling people that Iran isn't going to attack us doesn't help because they've heard so much war mongering from the MSM, they're afraid of the country and what it can do. They need to hear Paul speak about what he will do to ensure it won't happen. They need to be assured that he will do something to defend us. That's why I like it when he says "Declare the war, go in and get it over with." That really helps get the message across that he will protect us from foreign aggressors.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-25-2012, 08:32 PM
I think we need to accept the fact that people are lazy. You need to bring this information to them in a debate or they won't go looking for it. It also has to be simplified and easy to understand.

They're only lazy, because they have no idea where to begin to find the right information. If Ron Paul (and us) started accumulating the information, and organized it into a user-friendly information library, and he told people where to find the information . . . i believe people would look.

Its not that they aren't willing to learn, it's that they don't know where to begin.

freemenowplease
01-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I also enjoy the idea, that Ron Paul should walk on stage with a copy of an official document regarding foreign policy, and read straight from the document during a debate.

It's against the rules of the debate. The participants are only allowed to bring blank paper and a writing instrument to make notes during the debate. They are not allowed to bring in previously written notes or documents or anything like that.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-25-2012, 08:37 PM
It's against the rules of the debate. The participants are only allowed to bring blank paper and a writing instrument to make notes during the debate. They are not allowed to bring in previously written notes or documents or anything like that.

So they can't present official public documents to a political debate, to cite their sources? But they can blackout Ron Paul and ask irrelevant questions?

Sentinelrv
01-25-2012, 08:40 PM
They're only lazy, because they have no idea where to begin to find the right information. If Ron Paul (and us) started accumulating the information, and organized it into a user-friendly information library, and he told people where to find the information . . . i believe people would look.

Its not that they aren't willing to learn, it's that they don't know where to begin.

I guess you have more faith in people's ability to research things than I do. People's decisions are influenced more by emotion than logical information. When the debate is over, I don't believe people will want to go read something online. They'll want it presented to them while they're watching the debate, that way they can get back to watching football or American Idol.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-25-2012, 08:46 PM
I guess you have more faith in people's ability to research things than I do. People's decisions are influenced more by emotion than logical information. When the debate is over, I don't believe people will want to go read something online. They'll want it presented to them while they're watching the debate, that way they can get back to watching football or American Idol.

Depends on how you present the information.

Think of this for a moment.

Moderator: "asks a question"

Ron Paul: "What Americans need to remember, is that war costs money. They need to understand, that if we engage in more wars and continue our world-wide empire, we will collapse just like the Ancient Roman Empire. Iran is not a threat, I will explain." <Pulls Out Document> and begins reading. He finishes reading specific information highlighted from the documents. Have the campaign have this information posted in an Information Library (since it is public record), and then inform people where to find it.

Not all people would do so. But enough of them would, then the information would spread.

southernsontn
01-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Why not just mention during a debate that anyone wanting to learn more can visit his website? The problem with reading from prepared documents is he would get the "talking head with a teleprompter" stigma.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Why not just mention during a debate that anyone wanting to learn more can visit his website? The problem with reading from prepared documents is he would get the "talking head with a teleprompter" stigma.

How could he get the teleprompter stigma, from reading official military reports to help americans understand his foreign policy?

southernsontn
01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
How could he get the teleprompter stigma, from reading official military reports to help americans understand his foreign policy?

oops. I was thinking when "official documents" came up that we were talking about documents from the Paul campaign discussing Ron Paul's position on campaign issues in greater detail than a debate platform allows. I misuncerstood the OPs intention...

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-25-2012, 10:50 PM
oops. I was thinking when "official documents" came up that we were talking about documents from the Paul campaign discussing Ron Paul's position on campaign issues in greater detail than a debate platform allows. I misuncerstood the OPs intention...

Do you see what I mean now? It would resolve the foreign policy issue, as well as offer further credibility and trust from undecided/swinging voters.

mainstream economist
01-25-2012, 11:23 PM
This does pose some logistical issues on the debate stage... Can he locate that text fast enough? Will Dr. Paul's concentration be broken by waiting for the right moment to refer to the document?

That said, one of the most memorable moments of the 2008 campaign was Dr. Paul presenting Giuliani with a reading list. Perhaps he can do something similar again immediately AFTER the debate. This is similar to the idea of reading from official documents during the debate but with fewer logistical complications. Dr. Paul does already refer to official documents during debates. He just does not read them out loud during the debates.

What do you think? As good as reading the documents during the debates COULD be, it could also potentially be disastrous if it either distracts Dr. Paul or is not done correctly.

I think "Reading List 2012" is a good compromise.

ericthethe
01-25-2012, 11:26 PM
The uninformed Americans, enjoy showmanship. Perhaps such a stunt, would trigger a spark to get people to actually research candidates instead of talking points.

Unnecessary commas ruin your post!

Ron Paul doesn't really need to do this. Most people already see him as credible. Even those who vehemently disagree with him know he's consistent and honest. Realistically, he just needs to continue to work on slowing down, completing his sentences and being more dominant.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Unnecessary commas ruin your post!

Ron Paul doesn't really need to do this. Most people already see him as credible. Even those who vehemently disagree with him know he's consistent and honest. Realistically, he just needs to continue to work on slowing down, completing his sentences and being more dominant.

Most people already see him as credible? Tell that to the 100's of self-proclaimed Conservatives and Liberals I talk to on a daily basis.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-25-2012, 11:34 PM
This does pose some logistical issues on the debate stage... Can he locate that text fast enough? Will Dr. Paul's concentration be broken by waiting for the right moment to refer to the document?

That said, one of the most memorable moments of the 2008 campaign was Dr. Paul presenting Giuliani with a reading list. Perhaps he can do something similar again immediately AFTER the debate. This is similar to the idea of reading from official documents during the debate but with fewer logistical complications. Dr. Paul does already refer to official documents during debates. He just does not read them out loud during the debates.

What do you think? As good as reading the documents during the debates COULD be, it could also potentially be disastrous if it either distracts Dr. Paul or is not done correctly.

I think "Reading List 2012" is a good compromise.

Logistics isn't an issue, if he highlights portions of the document. He does refer to official documents, but people don't make that connection in their mind. He needs to pull some sort of DoD or CIA report on stage, and read a portion of the information. This event by itself, would show that Ron Paul is serious about a transparent presidency.

ericthethe
01-26-2012, 02:24 AM
Most people already see him as credible? Tell that to the 100's of self-proclaimed Conservatives and Liberals I talk to on a daily basis.

If these people can't see how most of what he says is based in fact go tell them to do some research.

A lot of his ideas are theoretical, though.

Philosophy_of_Politics
01-26-2012, 02:27 AM
If these people can't see how most of what he says is based in fact go tell them to do some research.

A lot of his ideas are theoretical, though.

Trust me, I do. :p