PDA

View Full Version : Will Tom Davis be Ron Paul's successor?

falconplayer11
01-25-2012, 12:29 PM
He's pushing Mises Institute lectures on his facebook, he's stood up for Ron Paul through think and thin, he's a dynamic speaker, he's popular, he's young, he's a believer in non-interventionism, he doesn't bend to popular opinion...

Will Tom Davis emerge as Ron Paul's successor as Ron gets older over the next ten years?

Varin
01-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Do not know but like him a lot. :)

Both views and character.

bluesc
01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm hoping he will be a Mark Sanford or Jim DeMint successor, which will make him a contender for the Presidency in the future.

He is an awesome liberty candidate. I trust him.

Gary4Liberty
01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm hoping he will be a Mark Sanford or Jim DeMint successor, which will make him a contender for the Presidency in the future.

I will vote for him if we still have the right to vote by then.

ZanZibar
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
What does his voting record look like? :confused:

fisharmor
01-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I will accept no fewer than four Ron Paul successors.
Preferably a dozen or more.

Tod
01-25-2012, 12:57 PM
What I've seen of him impresses me!

Philhelm
01-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Well, let's not talk about Dr. Paul like he's out of the picture. It's bad juju.

brandon
01-25-2012, 01:03 PM
I think he's probably gearing up to primary Mrs. Linsdey Graham in 2013/2014. The Ron Paul wing of the party will be his strongest ally in the battle now that he's one of us, and it will probably shape up to be an epic establishment vs outsider battle ala Paul Vs Grayson.

Just my wild guess. :)

Jeremy
01-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Hopefully he will run against Lindsey Graham.

jmdrake
01-25-2012, 01:11 PM

The GOP is shifting. By the next election a Ron Paul candidate including one who agrees with Dr. Paul on foreign policy will in first place. I was listening to a talk show host who has been decidedly unfriendly to Dr. Paul over the years. He gave a very fair and positive analysis of Ron Paul's post SC speech. He added that Ron Paul was right to say the momentum was going the way of our movement. He just didn't think that momentum was enough to win him the presidency this go round. But that means that someone that this movement could trust could carry the day in 2016. I think that person is Rand, although some here don't trust Rand precisely because they see him as the "Jim DeMint" type.

Jandrsn21
01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
If he runs for senate, I will financially support him.

bluesc
01-25-2012, 01:16 PM
The GOP is shifting. By the next election a Ron Paul candidate including one who agrees with Dr. Paul on foreign policy will in first place. I was listening to a talk show host who has been decidedly unfriendly to Dr. Paul over the years. He gave a very fair and positive analysis of Ron Paul's post SC speech. He added that Ron Paul was right to say the momentum was going the way of our movement. He just didn't think that momentum was enough to win him the presidency this go round. But that means that someone that this movement could trust could carry the day in 2016. I think that person is Rand, although some here don't trust Rand precisely because they see him as the "Jim DeMint" type.

I see Rand as distancing himself from Ron's foreign policy, as all other liberty candidates are. I won't get enthusiastic about another candidate unless they own Ron's foreign policy and wear it proudly. It's hard to support a politician unless they have (figurative) balls.

Occam's Banana
01-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Will Tom Davis emerge as Ron Paul's successor as Ron gets older over the next ten years?
His participation in the Mises Academy is a very good sign. I hope he keeps it up. If he does, I have no doubt that the rEVOLution will have his back.

However, you should say "as one of Ron Paul's successors" - don't forget Glen Bradley, Justin Amash & Rand Paul!

And I hope we can add Karen Kwiatkowski & Thomas Massie to that list soon.

Seraphim
01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Why not frame it as TEAMATES of Dr. Paul, RIGHT NOW...?

Well, let's not talk about Dr. Paul like he's out of the picture. It's bad juju.

ZanZibar
01-25-2012, 03:37 PM
I see Rand as distancing himself from Ron's foreign policy, as all other liberty candidates are. I won't get enthusiastic about another candidate unless they own Ron's foreign policy and wear it proudly. It's hard to support a politician unless they have (figurative) balls.Do you think Rand could've won in KY if he had done that?

The Gold Standard
01-25-2012, 03:45 PM
What does his voting record look like? :confused:

This. This. This.

Gary4Liberty
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
What does his voting record look like? :confused: 95% constitutional vs Ron Paul 100%, see John Birch report or do you mean Tom? I waas talking about Rand vs Ron.

bluesc
01-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Do you think Rand could've won in KY if he had done that?

Do you think Rand could've won KY if Ron didn't?

trey4sports
01-25-2012, 04:19 PM

Do you think Rand could've won KY if Ron didn't?

uhh to be fair, i think Rand probably could have won with Ron's foreign policy. It's not like the race was ever very close.

KingRobbStark
01-25-2012, 04:19 PM
Hopefully he will run against Lindsey Graham.

This. I hope he does.

ZanZibar
01-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Do you think Rand could've won KY if Ron didn't?yes.

bluesc
01-25-2012, 05:05 PM
yes.

Not a chance. If Ron didn't do what he did, there would have been no Tea Party movement for Rand to ride. No early fundraising. No name recognition. No enthusiastic base of support. He would still be an eye surgeon today.

Don't try and diminish what Ron has achieved in order to position yourself for 2016. No one likes a kiss-ass.

Justinfrom1776
01-25-2012, 05:14 PM
From what I know about Tom Davis, I like.. But I don't believe that 1 guy can fill Ron's shoes..

stillhere
01-25-2012, 05:25 PM
His endorsement did nothing for us, in fact our poll numbers went down after the endorsement and the results were too. Hardly game changing it was.

ZanZibar
01-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Not a chance. If Ron didn't do what he did, there would have been no Tea Party movement for Rand to ride. No early fundraising. No name recognition. No enthusiastic base of support. He would still be an eye surgeon today.You underestimate the conservative / paleocon / old-right base of Ron's support.

But regardless, no Rand could NOT have won in KY if he had used Ron's rhetoric on foreign policy

Feeding the Abscess
01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
You underestimate the conservative / paleocon / old-right base of Ron's support.

But regardless, no Rand could NOT have won in KY if he had used Ron's rhetoric on foreign policy

Rand won the election, and he still hasn't embraced Ron's foreign policy.

In any event, with the way Davis is pushing the Mises Institute, if he ends up like DeMint, I would consider that a colossal failure.

ZanZibar
01-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Rand won the election, and he still hasn't embraced Ron's foreign policy.Regarding his voting record he absolutely has (the exception being slamming the Iranian central bank). Rand tried to stop the war in Iraq, and prevented a war with Russia. And that was just within the last 45 days! This is not to mention the attempt at stopping the NDAA.

Please take your FUD elsewhere.

Feeding the Abscess
01-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Regarding his voting record he absolutely has (the exception being slamming the Iranian central bank). Rand tried to stop the war in Iraq, and prevented a war with Russia. And that was just within the last 45 days! This is not to mention the attempt at stopping the NDAA.

Please take your FUD elsewhere.

Voting for sanctions on a country is a pretty serious offense. It directly opposes non-interventionism, and isn't something that should be warmed over.

Back on topic, if Tom Davis really is knee-deep in the Mises Institute, to the point of talking about it publicly, I doubt he'll end up a DeMint-type.

Shane Harris
01-25-2012, 07:12 PM
His participation in the Mises Academy is a very good sign. I hope he keeps it up. If he does, I have no doubt that the rEVOLution will have his back.

However, you should say "as one of Ron Paul's successors" - don't forget Glen Bradley, Justin Amash & Rand Paul!

And I hope we can add Karen Kwiatkowski & Thomas Massie to that list soon.

and Marc Scaringi (running for senate in PA)

ZanZibar
01-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Voting for sanctions on a country is a pretty serious offense. He voted agasint the Iranian central bank. If Iran voted to not do business with the US Federal Reserve, would that be ok with you?

Back on topic, if Tom Davis really is knee-deep in the Mises Institute, to the point of talking about it publicly, I doubt he'll end up a DeMint-type.DeMint has come around quite a bit lately, but yes hopefully we can get someone of Ron/Rand's philsophical integrity.

Feeding the Abscess
01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
He voted agasint the Iranian central bank. If Iran voted to not do business with the US Federal Reserve, would that be ok with you?

He voted for the authority to ban the entire world from doing dealings with a sovereign country's central bank. Disagree with a central bank all you (correctly) want, but to bar the entire world from doing business with a country flies in the face of everything associated with a foreign policy of peace and commerce. By approving these sanctions, you are approving the Iraq sanctions from the 1990s. Additionally, would you agree with the U.N. banning pre-emptive war? You want war to end, right?

Horrible justification, and not worth a second of anyone's time.

GeorgiaAvenger
01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
I would like to see Sanford's career resurrected as well.

ZanZibar
01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
He voted for the authority to ban the entire world from doing dealings with a sovereign country's central bank. Can you cite this? It's my understanding it only prohibited Americans from doing business with their central bank. You could indeed be correct, but I would like you to prove it.

Esoteric
01-25-2012, 08:05 PM
http://www.facebook.com/randpaulforpresident

low preference guy
01-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Regarding his voting record he absolutely has (the exception being slamming the Iranian central bank).

Absolutely and except in the same sentence. Very interesting mind games.

ZanZibar
01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Absolutely and except in the same sentence. Very interesting mind games.Ok, fair enough. Point taken.

falconplayer11
01-26-2012, 11:13 AM
and Marc Scaringi (running for senate in PA)

I met and spoke with Marc Scaringi the other day. He is a cool guy.

falconplayer11
01-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Rand's under-the-radar adoption of Ron Paul's foreign policy is why he has a better change of becoming president than his dad. As long as he does not expand our foreign entanglements, I'm willing to support him even if he does not significantly withdraw our overseas forces.

About Tom Davis...I don't know how good of a gauge his voting record is. He seems to have only recently come to adopt a lot of Ron Paul's positions. It may be that his past voting record is not one he would support anymore, and that in the future he will be far more libertarian.

But yes, Ron Paul has many successors. Tom Davis, Marc Scaringi, Rand Paul, Justin Amash, Gary Johnson, etc.

Emptyeternity
01-26-2012, 11:23 AM
rhetoric or is he real?

so far i like his rhetoric, I will have to look at his record more closely...

AuH20
01-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Remember that post-election Trey Grayson admitted point-blank that he was disappointed that Rand didn't fully adopt all of Ron's stances publicly. He basically admitted that he and his establishment buddies would have clobbered Rand over the head repeatedly with the real toxic stuff. Once again Rand emerged from the conflict as the wiser and the critics can retreat to their holes. The younger Paul is literally 3 to 4 steps ahead of his enemies.

Occam's Banana
01-27-2012, 09:00 AM
About Tom Davis...I don't know how good of a gauge his voting record is. He seems to have only recently come to adopt a lot of Ron Paul's positions. It may be that his past voting record is not one he would support anymore, and that in the future he will be far more libertarian.

THIS ^^^ is a very important point. Whatever his previous voting record, we should IMO adopt a "clean slate" attitude towards it. If his previous record is positive, so much the better. If it (or part of it) is negative, people can change. With his endorsement of Ron Paul and his publicly announced participation in the Mises Academy - and until/unless he does something that proves otherwise - Davis has established that he deserves the benefit of the doubt (unlike, say, Bob Barr, who had a *terrible* record & did nothing but talk).

kylejack
01-27-2012, 09:04 AM
I kinda feel like Tom Davis is using the movement. But hey, if he supports the right policies I will be happy to support him.

ZanZibar
01-27-2012, 09:06 AM
THIS ^^^ is a very important point. Whatever his previous voting record, we should IMO adopt a "clean slate" attitude towards it. If his previous record is positive, so much the better. If it (or part of it) is negative, people can change. With his endorsement of Ron Paul and his publicly announced participation in the Mises Academy - and until/unless he does something that proves otherwise - Davis has established that he deserves the benefit of the doubt (unlike, say, Bob Barr, who had a *terrible* record & did nothing but talk).Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

I don't know anything about the guy, but the only thing we can judge him on are his actions, not his words (as with any politician).

Feeding the Abscess
01-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

I don't know anything about the guy, but the only thing we can judge him on are his actions, not his words (as with any politician).

Well, he's apparently enrolled in Mises Institute courses. I can't imagine too many non-libertarians would decide to publicly announce they've thrown in with ancaps/hard libertarians with the hopes of furthering their political career. If that's his motivation, he's incredibly stupid. I'm not going to name him the new torchbearer for the movement or anything, but that revelation, along with defending Ron Paul's foreign policy, is very good news.

Occam's Banana
01-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Which is exactly what I said my earlier post.

Action: endorsed Ron Paul
Action: enrolled in Mises Academy (& publicly advertised the fact)

Result: deserves benefit of the doubt

By all means, give him the gimlet eye. I, too, am interested in his prior voting record. If nothing else, any negatives in that record will give us an indication of what to watch out for in the future.

Well, he's apparently enrolled in Mises Institute courses. I can't imagine too many non-libertarians would decide to publicly announce they've thrown in with ancaps/hard libertarians with the hopes of furthering their political career. If that's his motivation, he's incredibly stupid. I'm not going to name him the new torchbearer for the movement or anything, but that revelation, along with defending Ron Paul's foreign policy, is very good news.

What FtA said.