PDA

View Full Version : Romneymania Sweeps America

Schiff_FTW
01-25-2012, 09:53 AM
http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/27/27155/Romneymania_Sweeps-R_jpg_635x345_crop-smart_upscale_q85.jpg

TAMPA, FL—From coast to coast, town to town, and in nearly every public meeting place and private residence across America, millions have been captivated, inspired, and in some cases moved to tears by presidential candidate Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who now finds himself campaigning before a nation in the throes of full-scale Romneymania.

"The raw energy and enthusiasm Mitt Romney stirs inside people is like nothing I've ever seen," Youngstown, OH auto mechanic Chris Ritenour said Wednesday. "Everything he says resonates with Americans. His moving story of growing up privileged, his inspiring rise from moderate wealth to overwhelming riches, his thrilling work in the highest echelons of corporate finance—he really speaks to the heart and mind of the common man."

"I don't think there's been a presidential candidate this exciting and magnetic in generations, if ever." Ritenour continued. "I am a Romneymaniac."

As Romneymania has grown, the Republican candidate has crossed over from political figure to cultural phenomenon. Countless reverent portraits of Romney have appeared in storefront windows and on building facades throughout the country, often accompanied by one of the candidate's signature inspirational phrases, like "Let Detroit go bankrupt" or "Corporations are people, my friend."

Internet sources confirmed "Mitt" has become the top search term of 2012, while the blogosphere and social media sites have been dominated by discussions of the star candidate's endearing personality quirks, gossip about the relationship statuses of his five sons, and continual chatter over which designers his wife, Ann, wears.

In addition, commemorative plates and various other trinkets featuring Romney's likeness have reportedly been sold out for weeks.

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/27/27155/Romneymania_Sweeps_Jump-R_jpg_600x1000_q85.jpg
Young or old, rich or poor, Americans have been united by Romneymania.

"Mitt's firm belief in unlimited corporate campaign donations is what first got me really excited," said 48-year-old pipe fitter David Flores, adding that another reason he joined "Romney Nation" was because he found it "pretty cool" that Romney pays a lower income tax rate than he does. "Money is speech—that's what the First Amendment is all about. Finally, there's a candidate who speaks directly to me."

As primary season continues, Americans from all walks of life tune in loyally to Romney's stump speeches, with those in attendance so overwhelmed by the candidate's rousing oratory skills that many pass out from the excitement.

While surveys show Romneymania has swept across almost every demographic, Romney's appeal among the nation's youth, in particular, is nearly unanimous. Many young Americans acknowledged they had felt disillusioned by politics until hearing Romney's explanation of how his coordination of corporate funding for the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics renders him uniquely qualified to be president, an assertion they said immediately revived their faith in American democracy.

"Simply put, when Mitt Romney speaks, he inspires people to be better," said political scientist Deborah Klein of Brown University, adding that given his effusive charisma, people are likely to follow the Republican candidate anywhere. "Anytime he meets factory workers on the campaign trail or stands at the podium in a debate, his reputation as a highly relatable man of the people is indisputable."

"It's easy to see why Americans can't get enough Mitt," Klein added.

During a stop in Tampa, FL earlier this week, Romney was seen whipping a crowd of thousands into a delirious frenzy with his beloved, decade-old talking points about how he is not a career politician. The candidate reportedly inspired optimism and confidence by explaining he "never actually supported an individual mandate for health insurance at the federal level," a battle cry that prompted the audience to chant his name for five straight minutes.

In a moment his supporters called "genuine" and "down-to-earth," Romney then told the crowd that he, too, is currently unemployed and truly understands the fear of being laid off.

"It's amazing to hear your deepest convictions articulated so poignantly by a politician," said out-of-work Denver resident Austin Matthews, 36, admitting he had never before encountered a candidate—or any human being, for that matter—who had connected with him on such a basic emotional level. "He comes right out and says that any acknowledgment of income inequality in the United States is driven solely by bitterness and envy from the lower classes and shouldn't even be discussed publicly. It's like he's tapped directly into the soul of everyday Americans."

"Mitt Romney is the voice of our generation," Matthews added.

At press time, Romney's latest Twitter post, reading, "Had a surprise guest at today's event—my grandson Miles," had been re*tweeted more than 150 million times.

LisaNY
01-25-2012, 10:14 AM
lol, thanks for the laugh.

Acala
01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Lol. I had the razor out and stropped, ready to take it to my throat when I realized the article was satire.

trey4sports
01-25-2012, 10:43 AM
lmao, that was fuckin' hilarious.

Tonewah
01-25-2012, 11:12 AM
A soldier, in uniform, spoke reverently about Governor Romney, "I really respect the fact that he has the unique perspective of never having served in the military. It makes me trust him more to know that his opinion isn't tainted by actual experience." A woman, with tear-filled eyes, gave her opinion, "He looks so handsome... just like George Hamilton in 'Love at First Bite'." When he spoke about the death of a pet snake when he was a child, mourners tore their clothes from their bodies and flung themselves from nearby buildings.

Spikender
01-25-2012, 11:22 AM
A soldier, in uniform, spoke reverently about Governor Romney, "I really respect the fact that he has the unique perspective of never having served in the military. It makes me trust him more to know that his opinion isn't tainted by actual experience." A woman, with tear-filled eyes, gave her opinion, "He looks so handsome... just like George Hamilton in 'Love at First Bite'." When he spoke about the death of a pet snake when he was a child, mourners tore their clothes from their bodies and flung themselves from nearby buildings.

Lulz, did you make that up yourself? Cause I almost did a spit-take! +Rep

Tod
01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
LOL!

jkr
01-25-2012, 11:41 AM
...backs away from ledge...

papitosabe
01-25-2012, 11:54 AM
can I use this in another forum?

Icymudpuppy
01-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Love the Onion.

Schiff_FTW
02-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Romney Appeals To Hispanic Voters For Return Of Watch He Left On Dresser

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/27/27229/Romney_Appeals-R_jpg_635x345_crop-smart_upscale_q85.jpg

MIAMI—At a hastily assembled press conference Tuesday, presidential candidate Mitt Romney reached out to the nation's Hispanics, asking if they would please return the watch he had left on his dresser earlier. "As I stand before you today, I wish to issue an appeal to my Hispanic friends all across this great land of ours: Please do the right thing and give me back my property," said Romney, adding that while he didn't want to accuse the nation's 21.7 million registered Hispanic voters of stealing the watch, he was certain that no one in his family stole it, and that watches don't just walk off by themselves. "I pledge to every single Hispanic-American—whether you came here from Mexico to start a new life for your family or fled the brutality of Castro's Cuba—that if my watch is put back in its rightful place in the next two hours, I will consider the matter closed and no one will be the wiser." With the watch still not returned at press time, Romney begged the nation's Hispanics, "Please don't make me call the—how do you say it? El policío? La policía? The appropriate authorities."

No Free Beer
02-01-2012, 08:38 AM
The sad thing is that FOX would conjure up something like this...

LibertasPraesidium
02-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I thought this was real..... Seriously.... Unfortunately, I believe that there are some out there that believe this..... Im gonna go cry for our nation....

V3n
02-01-2012, 09:30 AM
I haven't caught Romneymania - but I think I did come down with some bad Romnerrhoids sitting through one of his speeches.