PDA

View Full Version : Local Meet-up Canned Food Drive

MadTheologian
11-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I am aware that many members are saving their bread for the Tea Party.

But have you considered about those who cannot meet their monthly budget that they have to choose between utilities or groceries?

Here is an idea that can be used in Meet-up groups: Why not have a canned food drive and give the goods to a food bank? It's something altruistic and it provides a change of pace to the back to back money bombs. If anyone is unable to give much financially to the money bombs, one can give to those in need.

Politics and welfare controversies aside, we are aware of those down on their luck due to lay-offs, rising cost of living, or personal tragedies. And we know that the government cannot help them much--but it is the private organizations and individuals that can help.

This is FWIW. What ya think?

Naraku
11-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Not only that, how about recycling? Then using that money for food drives.

Ozwest
11-11-2007, 03:08 PM
A couple of months ago Semetary tried to get something similar going on a national scale. I thought it was a good idea then, and it's still a good idea.

Corydoras
11-11-2007, 03:53 PM
On the topic of canned food... as someone who at one point used private charity food, I would like to point out that protein donations are really important, especially meat and fish. A lot of people who donate buy vegetables because they get more cans than if they bought meat for the same money, but a single can of tuna or "luncheon meat" (generic Spam) can last for more than one meal. And these foods quell a growling tummy a lot longer than a can of string beans.

I know that is sort of tangential to the idea of a canned food drive, but I wanted to get this out.

Edward
11-11-2007, 04:05 PM
A couple of months ago Semetary tried to get something similar going on a national scale. I thought it was a good idea then, and it's still a good idea.I'm glad others have brought up the idea of food drives and toy drives. I think this would be great publicity for the campaign and also to offset the "fringe" aspect of grassroots supporters. It might also make a small statement that people can take care of other people without government intervention.

MadTheologian
11-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Naraku--

Recycling the cans and giving the proceeds to a food bank is a great idea. That's killing two birds with one stone.

Ozwest--

Props to Semetary for that! And right now, with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up...now is the perfect time to help stock the shelves.

Corydoras--

Thank you for your input. In past food drives with other organizations, I have seen tons and tons of canned veggies. Not too many cans of meat. With the low price of tuna and Spam-like meat, I cannot see why anyone should not buy them. I know that the Kroger chain sells 10 packets of tuna for 10 bux. 1 packet can make many servings of casserole or salad.

Win_Witka
11-11-2007, 04:25 PM
At one of the GOP meetings in Spartenburg SC, all the RP suppoters had a SPAM food drive consisting of canned vegies, meat, juices, fruit, crackers, other kinds of snacks and toys being that naysayers were calling us spammers. Then we donated it to one of the local charities. I agree that being it's near the holidays we can give a bit more $$$ and/or a food drive to your local meet-up groups or other group leader.

Edward
11-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Have you signed up yet? www.ronpaulthanksgiving.com