PDA

View Full Version : movie Moneyball describes us

WIwarrior
01-24-2012, 01:10 AM
I just watched Moneyball and the whole movie is a metaphor for the liberty movement.

"But if we win, on our budget, with this team, we'll change the game....and thats what I want. I want it to mean something."

The status quo vs change. We are the underdog that will change the establishment. "The first guy through the wall always gets bloody."

thesnake742
01-24-2012, 01:15 AM
hot damn.

moonshine5757
01-24-2012, 01:37 AM
i agree. someone should make that a voiceover for a video for ronny boy

mczerone
04-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Just watched this last night.

There are some parallels that can be drawn: the A's still lost, but the ideas won with the Red Sox :: Ron's not doing to hot, but in 2016 or 2020 we're certain to get our win.

I liked the "first one through the wall" quote, too.

And did you notice the "media spin" that did nothing but support the status quo?

If politics were a game played on a field, we'd already be way ahead. Unfortunately we have to play against the status quo teams and the media and the rubes who blindly follow the media.

Drebin
04-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Just watched this last night.

There are some parallels that can be drawn: the A's still lost, but the ideas won with the Red Sox :: Ron's not doing to hot, but in 2016 or 2020 we're certain to get our win.

What are you talking about? Both in 2004 and 2007 the Red Sox had the second highest payroll in the major leagues. The very OPPOSITE of Moneyball. In fact, both years, they had about 25 million more in payroll than the 3rd highest team.

The Red Sox' championships were more like Romney than Ron Paul. They bought their titles. The only team that would think otherwise would be the Yankees.

PRFgenius
04-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Then explain North Dakota.

idiom
04-02-2012, 01:51 AM
The most relevant part of the movie is when the economist is reviewing the home run for the manager. Everybody is laughing at the fat back stop scrabbling on his belly back to first because he lost his gamble trying to take second, something he has always been to afraid to attempt to do.

They are laughing because he has no idea what he has achieved.

mczerone
04-02-2012, 05:54 AM
What are you talking about? Both in 2004 and 2007 the Red Sox had the second highest payroll in the major leagues. The very OPPOSITE of Moneyball. In fact, both years, they had about 25 million more in payroll than the 3rd highest team.

The Red Sox' championships were more like Romney than Ron Paul. They bought their titles. The only team that would think otherwise would be the Yankees.

It was the system the Sox used. It was adopted by them and all of baseball.

The point is that the system allowed the A's to do well for a bargain basement team and propelled a big market team to the top.

In our realm, Paul's message allowed him to compete on the big stage despite a strong establishment bias. When someone with more political capital runs with the message, we'll be a shoe-in to win. And everybody will start flocking to the new system/message of liberty

hazek
04-02-2012, 06:11 AM
Except you didn't learn the important point in that movie: You can't win on your budget playing by their strategy. Their strategy requires their money for it to succeed. You needed a new strategy, a crazy, innovative strategy that could succeed with your budget.