PDA

View Full Version : That was it?

Gaddafi Duck
01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
I lost wood. The closing statements from the last four candidates to speak? Gingrich, Romney, Gingrich, Romney. Complete horseshit. If I was Santorum, I'd be pissed too.

All the debate hosts suck, but I would have to say NBC is THE worst given this and previous debates..

Student Of Paulism
01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Well, at least Ron got most of the applause and no boos, so...ill take it.

KMA-NWO
01-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Bwahahaha these debates are funny jokes!

Drex
This was more like a casual forum on a Sunday afternoon

schiffheadbaby
was this debate the most boring to others?

almost fell asleep

ryanmkeisling
01-23-2012, 09:46 PM
I stopped watching them and reading the threads for them.

BUSHLIED
01-23-2012, 09:46 PM
RON is not an effective debaters particularly when it comes to these types of inflection points. Rick wins IA, Romney wins NH, Newt with SC, the media narrative is confusion...not clear front runner...RON had to aggressively remind people that they still have another choice....

MadOdorMachine
01-23-2012, 09:47 PM
What's sad is the same thing happened in 2007. Ron Paul started to fizzle out as the field narrowed down. He simply doesn't express the conviction and passion needed to win. He has admitted it himself, yet can't see why people think he is unelectable. It's not because of his ideas, it's because he appears weak when he won't defend himself. This is literally a complete repeat of his 2008 campaign.

MadOdorMachine
01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
RON is not an effective debaters particularly when it comes to these types of inflection points. Rick wins IA, Romney wins NH, Newt with SC, the media narrative is confusion...not clear front runner...RON had to aggressively remind people that they still have another choice....

He needs to learn to inject real issues into the questions. He should always revert back to the economy and his record. Instead he just answers their questions, which are not designed to highlight his qualities.

Edward
01-23-2012, 09:52 PM
He needs to learn to inject real issues into the questions. He should always revert back to the economy and his record.

Hear, hear!

James Madison
01-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Consider who owns NBC.

General Electric.

DogLover2113
01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
He is so used to being ignored that when he does get to speak he tries to hurry up and get it out. I think he did relatively well tonight.

rpwi
01-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Actually liked the debate. Stupid questions yes...but Mitt and especially Newt really took a lot of shots (that Ron didn't even have to deliver). Ron's answers were great and I thought he composed himself well. So nice not to have the crowd insert themselves into a debate Roman Coliseum style (except to applaud Ron :)). Ron also put out a great anti-Iran War message so important even if he doesn't win the nomination...that a little thing like that may help prevent war would be a great thing :)

rpwi
01-23-2012, 09:56 PM
RON is not an effective debaters particularly when it comes to these types of inflection points. Rick wins IA, Romney wins NH, Newt with SC, the media narrative is confusion...not clear front runner...RON had to aggressively remind people that they still have another choice....Nooo...aggressive turns off voters.

sunghoko
01-23-2012, 09:56 PM
He needs to learn to inject real issues into the questions. He should always revert back to the economy and his record. Instead he just answers their questions, which are not designed to highlight his qualities.

He needs to hijack the question like the other three do to highlight his strengths. He instead promotes promotes libertarian ideas and that's just too philosophical for these debates.

RickyJ
01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
What's sad is the same thing happened in 2007. Ron Paul started to fizzle out as the field narrowed down. He simply doesn't express the conviction and passion needed to win. He has admitted it himself, yet can't see why people think he is unelectable. It's not because of his ideas, it's because he appears weak when he won't defend himself. This is literally a complete repeat of his 2008 campaign.

I thought he was very good in this debate. When he talked about the TARP and people losing their homes he made big points with people in Florida where many have lost their homes.

Muwahid
01-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Whenever theres a Pro Ron Paul crowd they black him out, anyone else notice that? When he's in neocon territory, talk about Iran talk about wars ask him it all. The debates where he got least time are the debates where hes the only one who gets applauded.

BUSHLIED
01-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Yep, Ron allows himself to be marginalized. Do we want a weak nominee that would need to battle Obama?? Ron doesn't make the case. Ron doesn't tap into the anger that many American, particularly Independent Voters are feeling. I think the campaign's Plan A was to win Iowa (they probably did) but it didn't happen. They tried to then win or pull really close in NH, didn't happen. Now it's the long shot strategy of "picking up delegates." Now I know that was the plan the entire time. That is why the campaign opened offices in all the caucus states. But in order to do well once they start winning caucuses, they need money. Ron needs to debate effectively to keep the grassroots energized. Show confidence, show strength etc...he is fizzing out. He is not getting media coverage anymore, the media narrative is Ron is not in this to win etc...he is not in the middle of the it all. I am very disappointed because I thought this campaign was going to be vastly different...sadly it just seems like another repeat of 08. WTF?? Despite what maddow said, RON IS becoming easier to ignore and that is what is going to happen after FL...if Ron fails to win in NV...that'll be the nail in the coffin. Ron may win a few of the small caucus states BUT that will just be attributed to the caucus being like a straw poll and then they say he can't win any big Primaries, so he'll collect some delegates and like Lawrence said, he WILL just be ignored, NOT speech at the convention....the establishment will wipe the sweat off their brow and throw Ron in the dustbin...

V3n
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Well, he had that one question about water in the Everglades.. I thought that was rather relevant. :rolleyes:

unknown
01-23-2012, 10:02 PM
I stopped watching them and reading the threads for them.

This.

I used to goto the chat room as well, but I've been banned. Its not the best place if youre a Ron Paul supporter.

Student Of Paulism
01-23-2012, 10:06 PM

Yea..eh. It's a broken record. I mean, you look at Santorum and as much as we all can't stand him, he is on attack mode nearly every debate starting in NH. What you said here, is excactly what Rick did in his closing statement by making comparisons and contrasting. Hell, any speech professor will tell you that 'compare and contrast' is one of the primary fundamental things in debating. Ron just refuses to do this and i just dont get it. All this does is make him appear weak and gives the media the narrative to spin him as not giving a shit or not taking the presidency seriously enough. This is exactly why Williams went into the 3rd party question for the 23320320354534 time :rolleyes:

Did you guys notice when Newt was being questioned in the first 1/2 hour, Mitt jumped in without Brian even saying a word? NOW WHY DOESN'T RON DO THIS? How many times did Bachmann do this in debates? Or Santorum as well? Why can't Ron just take the damn reins and get bossy. Ffs, look what happned in the CNN debate. The damn audience had to cry out and get them to let him in on the convo TWO TIMES, BECAUSE HE WOULDNT INTERJECT AND STAND UP FOR HIMSELF. This is really uncalled for. Ron knows full well if he sat there and didnt say a peep, the network and moderator would be just fine with it and he would get 2mins in each debate. This 'good mannered' nonsense needs to stop, it really does.

Another key point, when asked about the 'conservative' definition, why does he not bring up Bush's FP in 00, which was an extremely similar one to Ron's? HE IS IN FLORIDA FFS! BUSH COUNTRY DOWN THERE! Why not say he is running on virutally the same one BUSH RAN ON AND PROMISED. Yes, 911 happened, we had to do something about it, fine, but what happened after was a disaster and most of what he promised never materialized and he left us with endless debt, and bogged down in a country we dont belong in. Uhhg, he could have said SOMETHING to relate to that.

Gah...just saying 'you cant do this, and cant do that' just isn't gonna work anymore. Sure, Newt played the victim and lied his ass off all night and again, Romney owned the crap out of him, but ffs, even if Newt lied, at least the goblin defended himself and/or drew comparisons or ranted about his record.

It just bothers me because all of these damn 'debates' give him the opportunity to call one of them out on something, or at least speak on things about himself that for some odd reason, he refuses to do.

And yes yes, i love Dr Paul, always will , and i want to see him do well like everyone else, but i get annoyed seeing so much potential in some of these debates go to waste.