PDA

View Full Version : Update on Fukushima

Lucille
01-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Update on Fukushima (http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/update-fukushima-0)

Update: TEPCO ADMITS THAT RADIATION LEVELS FROM FUKUSHIMA ARE RISING

Ooops...

FUKUSHIMA RADIATION SPREADS WORLDWIDE

The University of California at Berkeley detected cesium levels in San Francisco area milk above over EPA limits … and even higher than they were 6 months ago.

Finnish public television says that cesium from Fukushima has been detected in lichens, fungi and elk and reindeer meat in Finland.

The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency confirmed a radiation cloud over the East Coast of Australia.

The West Coast of Canada is getting hit by debris from Japan … and at least some of it is likely radioactive.

The authors of the controversial study claiming 14,000 deaths in the U.S. so far from Fukushima are now upping their figure to 20,000. I spoke with nuclear health expert Chris Busby about their study, and he said that mortality figures fluctuate pretty substantially in the normal course, and so it is hard to know at this point one way or the other whether their figures are accurate.

And while there is no evidence linking them to Fukushima, Bed Bath and Beyond has recalled radioactive tissue holders after they set off police radiation monitors aboard a delivery truck This may just be an example of the incredibly lax handling of radioactive materials.

And thyroid cancers are – mysteriously – on the rise in the U.S...

More at the link above, and here: http://fairewinds.com/updates

Zippyjuan
01-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Thyroid cancers take years to develop- if they are on the rise in the US it cannot be from Fukushima.

It is true that some was measured in Finland- but only one percent above the naturally occuring levels and they are now below measurable levels.
http://www.stuk.fi/stuk/tiedotteet/en_GB/news_710/

17/01/2012

Small amounts of radioactive cesium-134 and cesium-137 that originate from the nuclear accident in Fukushima have been measured in the Finnish forest environment. Cesium has been measured in lichens, mosses, mushrooms, and elk and reindeer meat.

The accident in Fukushima raised the amount of artificial radioactivity in food products from the Finnish nature at most approximately by one percent, depending on the product. Other artificial radioactivity in the Finnish environment stems from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident in 1986, and from nuclear weapons tests conducted in the atmosphere in the 1950's and 1960's.
The average radiation dose from various sources for Finns is 3.7 millisievert per year. The radiation dose caused by food products from nature is 0.01 millisieverts per year, on average. The increase caused by the accident in Fukushima is insignificantly small. No radioactivity that originates from Fukushima has been detected in household water, milk or other foodstuffs on the market.

The Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority (STUK) monitors the radioactivity in the Finnish environment by measuring the amounts of radioactive substances in various environmental samples.

The environmental samples, in which cesium that originates from Fukushima was discovered, were collected during late summer and autumn. The measured cesium-134 and cesium-137 concentrations were below one becquerel per kilogram fresh weight in mushrooms and in reindeer and elk meat. The amount of such cesium-137 that originates from the nuclear accident in Chernobyl was in the same mushroom samples 25–3000 and the reindeer and elk meat samples 17–95 becquerels per kilogram.

The nuclear accident in Fukushima in March 2011 spread radioactive substances across the northern hemisphere. In Finland, the first observations of radioactive substances that originate from the accident were made on 22nd March through outdoor air measurements. This was about a week after the accident began. The amount of radioactive substances in outdoor air was so small that no protective measures were required. The amount also rapidly fell below the detection limit. Since May, hardly any radioactive substances that originate from the accident have been detected in outdoor air.

The Australian levels are also quite small. The readings there lasted for all of three hours.
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/01/14/radiation-cloud-not-harmful-sunshine-coast/

He first noticed the hike when his Geiger counter began erratically beeping.

He then watched the rise in radiation fluctuate for three hours, peaking for 20 minutes at 0.80.

"I was shocked to hear the Geiger alarm going off, I have been recording radiation in the atmosphere for four years and the highest it has ever gone was 0.20 microsieverts."

Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency senior environmental scientist Marcus Grezechnik said the reading was unusual but not concerning for the Coast.

"It is very unlikely to be caused from Fukushima, but more likely to be caused by a weather change or dust," Dr Grezechnik said.

"It is not seen as a big increase although it is higher than average. To put everyone's mind at ease, even if you were receiving that dose every hour for a full year you would have less dose than one CAT Scan."

He said radiation from the Fukushima nuclear disaster had only been recorded in Australia once since the incident occurred in March 11.

Bosco Warden
01-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Thyroid cancers take years to develop- if they are on the rise in the US it cannot be from Fukushima.

It is true that some was measured in Finland- but only one percent above the naturally occuring levels and they are now below measurable levels.
http://www.stuk.fi/stuk/tiedotteet/en_GB/news_710/

The Australian levels are also quite small. The readings there lasted for all of three hours.
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2012/01/14/radiation-cloud-not-harmful-sunshine-coast/

Congrads ZippyJuan, you get the "troll of the day" award.

I would like to know what your credentials are to give these counter arguments besides being blatantly anti-poster as I have seen now in three different posts just from today.

You seem to think that Finland has a legitimate argument but the US which is down wind from the jet stream and would be reached much sooner then Finland.

Lucille
01-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Instead of Protecting People, Governments Cover Up by Raising "Safe" Radiation Levels (http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/instead-protecting-people-governments-cover-raising-safe-radiation-levels)

American and Canadian authorities have virtually stopped monitoring airborne radiation.

Neither American nor Canadian authorities are testing fish for radioactivity.
[...]
Indeed, instead of doing much to try to protect their citizens from Fukushima, Japan, the U.S. and the EU all just raised the radiation levels they deem "safe".

Nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen says that high-level friends in the State Department told him that Hillary Clinton signed a pact with her counterpart in Japan agreeing that the U.S. will continue buying seafood from Japan, despite that food not being tested for radioactive materials.

Indy Vidual
01-24-2012, 02:52 PM
What happened to containing all 4 or 5 primary cores, how did that get resolved?

Krugerrand
01-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Congrads ZippyJuan, you get the "troll of the day" award.

I would like to know what your credentials are to give these counter arguments besides being blatantly anti-poster as I have seen now in three different posts just from today.

You seem to think that Finland has a legitimate argument but the US which is down wind from the jet stream and would be reached much sooner then Finland.

I have to stand up for ZJ on this one. He pays attentions to details and conclusions that are drawn from them and is quick to point out when the two don't fit together - even when he may agree with the ultimate conclusion for other reasons.

His voice helps people from embarrassing themselves by going hysterical if they "read what they want to" instead of what's really there. That's not troll behavior - it's a valuable insight that ads value to our cause.

He may have a number of views I disagree with, but I have never seen troll behavior or discourtesy from him.

Pericles
01-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Finland is bound to have had a greater impact from Chernobyl.

XNavyNuke
01-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Have you seen the error bars on the Berkeley data? The EPA limit of 3 pCi/l (which the published data exceeds by a few tenths) is not based on an intervention level but rather a detection threshold based on the equipment available at the time of the regulations writing. The intervention level in milk can be found here: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/UCM251056.pdf and is 33,000 pCi/l for combined Cesium radioisotopes. When my local news media started dribbling similar numbers out from state EPA press releases, I personally called the head of the office and spoke to the gentleman.

There are many things in this country to be worried over. The fission products that escaped containment from Fukushima is not one of them.

XNN

Acala
01-24-2012, 03:11 PM
I have to stand up for ZJ on this one. He pays attentions to details and conclusions that are drawn from them and is quick to point out when the two don't fit together - even when he may agree with the ultimate conclusion for other reasons.

His voice helps people from embarrassing themselves by going hysterical if they "read what they want to" instead of what's really there. That's not troll behavior - it's a valuable insight that ads value to our cause.

He may have a number of views I disagree with, but I have never seen troll behavior or discourtesy from him.

Agreed. ZJ is a valuable voice on the forum. I disagree with him sometimes, especially when it comes to economics, but he is always civil and attempts to make a rational point. And, believe it or not, he is actually trying to help the cause by keeping us grounded in fact. If you disagree with him, use him as a foil to hone your arguments.

There ARE trolls on this site, but he isn't one of them.

heavenlyboy34
01-24-2012, 03:15 PM

This^^ +99999999

Lucille
03-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Zerohedge: California Slammed With Fukushima Radiation (http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-13-30/california-slammed-fukushima-radiation)

Fairewinds: Tokyo Soil Samples Would Be Considered Nuclear Waste In The US (http://fairewinds.com/)

ENE News (West Coast US): http://enenews.com/category/u-s-canada/us-nuclear-facilities/west-coast

ENE News (Japan): http://enenews.com/category/japan

donnay
03-30-2012, 02:45 PM
If I lived on the west coast I would be taking Potassium Iodate or I would be doing 2 drops of Lugol's Iodine daily (which I do anyway and am not on the west coast).

Zippyjuan
03-30-2012, 02:59 PM
The half life of radioactive iodine is 8.04 days (they time it takes half the existing amount to break down). http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/natural.htm

According to the Zerohedge article, the hightest level found near Anaheim was :

Government monitoring sites in Anaheim (southern California) recorded peak airborne concentrations of 131I at 1.9 pCi m−3

P is for pico which means 10 to the minus 12th power, Ci is for Curies and m-3 is for cubic meters.

Let us compare that number with natural levels of radiations in your body right now. (using my same first link)

Uranium 30 pCi
Thorium 3 pCi
Radium 30 pCi

You will be exposed to more radiation from your cell phone.

Working Poor
03-30-2012, 03:10 PM

I feel the same I disagree with him often but he is a gentleman and he does pay attention to details. If anyone could change my mind about something it would likely be Zippyjaun

Brian4Liberty
03-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Fairewinds: Tokyo Soil Samples Would Be Considered Nuclear Waste In The US (http://fairewinds.com/)

I saw that story the other day. Not good for people in Japan.

Lucille
04-06-2012, 11:20 AM
It’s Not Over: Government Plans for the Worst: Forced Evacuation of Tokyo (http://lewrockwell.com/slavo/slavo102.html)

While it has for the most part disappeared from mainstream view, the Fukushima nuclear disaster is anything but over. In fact, the situation in Japan has gone from bad to worse.

Bottom line: There is no way to contain the radiation.

Even more alarming is that the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and other agencies have warned that the nuclear storage pools (the containment units that are being used to cool the nuclear fuel) have been damaged and may collapse under their own weight.

Such an event would cause widespread nuclear fallout throughout the region and force the government to evacuate the nearly 10 million residents of Tokyo and surrounding areas, a scenario which government emergency planners are now taking into serious consideration.
[...]
There was a chance early on that a storage pool collapse could be prevented, but according to the report Tokyo Electric Power Co. refused to take the necessary steps as a cost-cutting measure.

Now, as radiation fallout envelops the entire northern hemisphere, there is a distinct possibility that the crisis will move into an even more critical and dangerous phase.

When news of the disaster first emerged we warned, contrary to mainstream experts, that it could be much worse than the Chernobyl accident of the 1980's, that no containment would be possible for at least a few years, and radiation levels across North America would sky rocket. A year on, we are seeing adverse impacts on ocean water throughout the Pacific, and ground levels of radioactive contaminants are well beyond safety thresholds for potable water, food, and soil.

With the Japanese economy already on the brink of meltdown and the rest of the world drowning in debt, an escalation in the severity of the disaster in Japan could be the last nail in the coffin for world financial markets and economic growth.

Even worse, if storage pools in the No. 4 reactor collapse and disintegrate as the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission has warned could happen, we will see a humanitarian crisis of unprecedented scale as millions of refugees will have no choice but to flee Tokyo. They’ll have no possessions, no money, no food, no water, no shelter, and a very fragile safety net.

This is what SHTF looks like. The government lies. The corporate cover ups. Downplaying of the severity of the crisis. And then… panic.

No doubt the eugenicists see this disaster as serendipitous.