PDA

View Full Version : Calling All "Ron Paul Girls"!

Voluntary Man
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Someone pointed out here earlier today that Ron is 4 times as popular with male voters in FL than female voters. In your expert opinion, what is it that your sisters don't yet know about Ron that is causing them to lag behind their brothers, boyfriends, husbands, and fathers? How can we help them catch up? Please Advise.

Thanks,

VM

www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?354638-Why-Ron-is-the-BEST-Possible-Candidate-EVER&p=4082294#post4082294

Mckarnin
01-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Well Ron Paul's support in Florida is pretty low right now and likely composed mostly of the same crowd that usually makes up his first supporters in any area: dudes who spend a lot of time on computers and not a lot with women. Once Ron Paul breaks 13% it seems that he starts getting some less introverted folks, middle aged people and women.

eduardo89
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
You're calling all the Ron Paul girls? I hope you have a good long distance plan.

donnay
01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
I am going to take a stab at this, I think they are believing the sewer stream media that Dr. Paul's Foreign Policy is going to make us vulnerable.

MelissaWV
01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Ron gets almost no coverage outside of the internet. The internet (as far as sites that might carry some actual news) is mostly populated by men of a certain age. From there, it's not that difficult to realize that Ron's support base is largely male.

There will be some who tell you it's his stance on abortion, though I'm not really sure how that could be it. Ron is pro-Life while protecting those who would like to be pro-Choice to some extent. There will be others who say it's that women are more likely to adore the State and seek its protection. I don't buy that.

I think it's just that the message has still not gotten all the way out there.

Mckarnin
01-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah, almost all the front line women I know who support Ron Paul are online gamers or work from home on the computer or are stay-at-home moms who stay on top of news and blogs.

danda
01-23-2012, 05:00 PM
totally unscientific, but I have heard these comments from women:

- "He complains a lot, but what is his vision? what positive things will he do?"

- "seems like a cranky old man"

- "what the heck did he just say? what's he talking about?"

- "I like him. he looks like an elf"

- "Rick Santorum is handsome." ( sigh )

- "Mitt looks very presidential." ( gag )

eduardo89
01-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Ron gets almost no coverage outside of the internet. The internet (as far as sites that might carry some actual news) is mostly populated by men of a certain age. From there, it's not that difficult to realize that Ron's support base is largely male.

There will be some who tell you it's his stance on abortion, though I'm not really sure how that could be it. Ron is pro-Life while protecting those who would like to be pro-Choice to some extent. There will be others who say it's that women are more likely to adore the State and seek its protection. I don't buy that.

I think it's just that the message has still not gotten all the way out there.

I don't see how Ron "protects" any pro-abortion views at all. These are his own words:

Anyone who supports abortion has no legal, moral, or practical defense against the deliberate killing of the newborn. Without a consistent resolution of this, we cannot achieve a pro-liberty, natural rights philosophy. I see no other way than to consistently protect life before as well as after birth. If we are to limit government’s role only to protection of life, liberty, and property, we cannot dilute this and confuse the issue by protecting life only in certain circumstances and reject the protection of innocent life merely because of the location, size or condition of certain human beings.

A Constitutional provision should never have been necessary, but now it is. Without this change in the Constitution, the division and dissension in the country over abortion will get worse. If we cannot achieve a clear-cut protection of all human life, in-utero as well as extra-utero, all life and liberty will be undefendable and the disintegration of our free society will accelerate.

mosquitobite
01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah, almost all the front line women I know who support Ron Paul are online gamers or work from home on the computer or are stay-at-home moms who stay on top of news and blogs.

You just described me! LOL!

(online gamer who is also a stay at home mom!)

MelissaWV
01-23-2012, 05:15 PM
I didn't say "Pro-Abortion" and please don't follow me into this constructive thread and turn it into a clone of the other one you're in.

I said Pro-Choice.

The problem is that it's defined in different ways. It's funny how many pro-Life people make exceptions for things like birth control (most of which CAN flush out a fertilized egg in rare cases, but better safe than sorry, you would think) or the Morning After Pill (which is a heavy dose of birth control that prevents implantation... implantation of what, though?).

Ron has not supported a Federal ban on abortion, folks, regardless of whether or not you want to tell yourself that. He supports the use of the Morning After Pill (see above). Someone living in a decidedly pro-choice area might not want to support someone in the GOP because they want to impose their definition of conception onto everyone, and outlaw abortion at a Federal level. Ron isn't doing that.

FreeTraveler
01-23-2012, 05:34 PM
I know a lot of women who won't support Ron Paul because he's Pro-Life. "Ah, he's for everybody's freedom, as long as they don't have a uterus." Outside the social conservatives, that's a deal-killer for a lot of women. Of course, that doesn't explain them supporting the other candidates -- although they know Ron is principled and really means it, and may figure the others are just pandering to their base.

eduardo89
01-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I didn't say "Pro-Abortion" and please don't follow me into this constructive thread and turn it into a clone of the other one you're in.

Don't flatter yourself, I actually posted here before you so I wasnt following you anywhere.

I said Pro-Choice.

Which is different from pro-abortion how?

The problem is that it's defined in different ways. It's funny how many pro-Life people make exceptions for things like birth control (most of which CAN flush out a fertilized egg in rare cases, but better safe than sorry, you would think) or the Morning After Pill (which is a heavy dose of birth control that prevents implantation... implantation of what, though?).

Birth control and abortion are not the same. Why do you think Ron supports one but not the other?

Ron has not supported a Federal ban on abortion, folks, regardless of whether or not you want to tell yourself that. He supports the use of the Morning After Pill (see above). Someone living in a decidedly pro-choice area might not want to support someone in the GOP because they want to impose their definition of conception onto everyone, and outlaw abortion at a Federal level. Ron isn't doing that.

Actually if you read Ron's writings, listen to him speak and look at the legislation he's introduced he does favor banning abortion at the federal level. He supports a federal definition that states life begins at conception, he's introduced that bill many times. He's also said that the Constitutional right to life applies to the unborn and he is not against a federal right to life amendment. He does, however, support states writing their laws and enforcing their laws, but he does not support legalized abortion anywhere. His plan to overturn Roe v Wade by stripping federal jurisdiction is just part of what he wants to see done and he says it's a good first step. Again, take a look at his writings, searchers and legislation.

http://files.meetup.com/504095/Ron%20Paul-Abortion%20and%20Liberty.pdf

flightlesskiwi
01-23-2012, 05:46 PM
I am going to take a stab at this, I think they are believing the sewer stream media that Dr. Paul's Foreign Policy is going to make us vulnerable.

BAM. there's your answer...

IF they are paying attention at all (and that's a BIG if) they are listening to MSM and parroting. and most of the women i know (25 to 35 moms of kids 5 years and younger) don't give a rat's booty about politics and want to talk about their kids (or, seriously, Twilight type fantasy books/movies). nothing wrong with that-- i just have to hang out with dudes or older people to actually get into any actual political conversations and not be dismissed or get the glazed over "what? ugh!!!" look.

i seriously don't know how to break through. if i figure it out, i'll let everyone know.

Voluntary Man
01-23-2012, 06:01 PM
You're right, this should be a discussion of potential obstacles and opportunities involving recruiting more women to the cause, not a debate of abortion, or anything else.

I think the reason Ron's position is sometimes misinterpreted is because, not only as a baby doctor, but primarily as a women's doctor, he's more sensitive than most candidates to the turmoil an unwanted pregnancy (possibly the result of an assault) can cause a woman. Of course, I doubt there are many women who go through abortion without suffering additional, often unanticipated (<because of the way planned parenthood approaches the matter) trauma.

It's a difficult issue to address, because it seems that abortion has two victims, and it doesn't make any sense to punish the victim further, for having made an agonizing decision, one she is already likely to regret (or, at least, feel conflicted about) forever. Just as abortion has two victims, it seems to be its own punishment.

That's not to say that there can't be a system in place (state-by-state) to punish practitioners in violation of their states laws. This seems to be Dr Paul's position, unless I'm mistaken -- that he's adamantly opposed to the practice of abortion, but sensitive to its motivations, in extreme cases, at least enough not to want to punish the mother.

Of course, maybe I'm just projecting my own position onto my candidate.

I said Pro-Choice.

Mckarnin
01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
And really guys, all this "men are just more intelligent than women" crap and attitude is not going to get you anywhere and will actually bleed into your interactions with women and turn them off to Ron Paul and to you.

Women these days are stretched very thin emotionally and physically. Obviously there are exceptions but most women with children are on duty 24/7 and it's grueling work, moms who work out of the house have even more chaos to deal with and most of their brain power is occupied with helping kids with homework, planning the next meal, making a grocery list, caring for their partner, figuring out what family members have a birthday soon...not a lot to spare for learning new things.

When life is that chaotic you just want stability. You don't want the world to become more harsh and your life more demanding than it already is and if a candidate seems edgy, odd, like he wants to shake things up (or is consistently portrayed in that shallow manner by the media)...when you don't have much time to research that seems like the LAST person you would choose as president. If we want women we need to have things like a side by side mini grocery list "then" and "now" compared to wage increases between "then" and "now" that shows how their buying power is being eroded by inflation. We need campaigns that show how many Americans died on September 11th, how many servicemen have died in related conflicts, how many service men have been injured or commited suicide and how many civilians of our "enemies" have died and to explain briefly how little that has accomplished and how much it has cost in $. Things need to be clear cut, easy to grasp quickly and tied tightly to Ron Paul's plan. All the candidates like to tout the good parts of their plan but it takes research to figure out how realistic those "goods" are and most women don't have that kind of time. Most females I know feel lucky to get 30 minutes to read or watch a show they enjoy without being attacked by small children and that is their only leisure all day.

dannno
01-23-2012, 06:31 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've heard women say that they can't vote for Ron Paul because of his stance on abortion.. but I will say that I have had nearly 100% success rate with every female who has given me the chance to explain his position on the issue in detail. Most people see it as a black and white issue when it's really about as grey as it gets.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've heard women say that they can't vote for Ron Paul because of his stance on abortion.. but I will say that I have had nearly 100% success rate with every female who has given me the chance to explain his position on the issue in detail. Most people see it as a black and white issue when it's really about as grey as it gets.

The abortion issue is why my mom "can't" support him.