PDA

View Full Version : Ageism in Politics: How to address objections to Ron Paul's Age?

Jonathon
01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Deleted.

Pericles
01-23-2012, 09:23 AM
"I am not going to make age an issue in this campaign, by holding my opponent's youth and inexperience against him."

Ronald Reagan

Steve-in-NY
01-23-2012, 09:50 AM
I usually say something like:

Of all the candidates, he is the only one that has a plan to see America debt free within his lifetime. Or my parents lifetime for that matter. Lets face it, anyones lifetime.

thoughtomator
01-23-2012, 09:51 AM
"I am not going to make age an issue in this campaign, by holding my opponent's youth and inexperience against him."

Ronald Reagan

what he said

also, ask who would win a 100-degree heat, 100-percent humidity, 20-mile bike race between Paul and Gingrich

Gary4Liberty
01-23-2012, 09:51 AM
When they say ron paul is too old to be president just tell they that they are too old to see prosperity in their lifetime unless ron paul is elected now.

Lothario
01-23-2012, 01:31 PM
This simply demonstrates the dichotomy of voting for a person rather than an idea. A vote for Ron Paul is not a vote for a man, but rather for the message which he espouses - and the message is not confined to any 1 person, nor does the message age. A vote for any other candidates is just a vote for a personality, which then is completely at the mercy of that particular person on a day to day basis - if the person changes their feelings, or any part of history is shown to disprove their perceived personality, then the entire foundation for voting for them disappears. On the contrary, the purity of a message remains unwavering irregardless of the actions of the messenger, which happens to be Ron Paul at the moment.

thoughtomator
01-23-2012, 01:33 PM
here's another idea... call Ron Paul "too old" repeatedly... in front of crowds of senior citizens

lilymc
01-23-2012, 01:34 PM
1) He's healthy and probably in better shape than the others.
2) His message is 'young' which is why it resonates with young people.
3) He is experienced and far more wise than the others.

Kingfisher
01-23-2012, 01:50 PM
I think he's only 6 yrs older than Grinch and obviously in much better health.

Gary4Liberty
01-24-2012, 12:31 AM
I think he's only 6 yrs older than Grinch and obviously in much better health. ya no kidding and id love to see grinch try to race RP on a bicycle. You want TV ratings, that would get ratings. hahaha

anaconda
01-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Hitler became Chancellor at 43. So how did that work out?

liberty2897
01-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Check out Ron Paul's swing...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/ron-paul-stars-astros-rainbow-uniform-76-congressional-135224691.html

I think this guy has probably been active his whole life. He is still young if you take that into consideration.

[edit]
Also found this quote from Rand:

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) seemed in high spirits afterward. “I always have fun playing,” said the senator, who was quick to add that his father, Rep. Ron Paul, is the only congressman to have hit a home run over the fence in the congressional baseball game’s 50-year history.

Dsylexic
01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
warren Buffet at 82.humid houston bicycle race.excellent swimmer.daily walk.
compared to ? chain smoking obama. fatso newton

Working Poor
01-24-2012, 01:40 PM
I think that people who hold his age against him are showing their bias. The campaign is very difficult with all the meetings and travel i could not go with all the one nighters that Ron is dealing with and if he is tough enough to endure that while also seeing to his congressional post surely he could handle being president this is of course JMO.

PursuePeace
01-24-2012, 01:47 PM
http://www.realage.com/landing/entry4g?cbr=GGLE10037X

Calendar age versus Real age.

Lothario
01-24-2012, 01:54 PM
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers." - Thomas Pynchon

This quote tangentially applies. The question is irrelevant, therefore if you are trying to answer it directly ("RP is so healthy and youthful!"), your answer doesn't matter, and no matter what you say, you lose. It's a smokescreen, and attacking the smokescreen accomplishes nothing. Do your work to identify the real issue behind such an irrelevant question. Answer the question by posing a different, more relevant question.

heavenlyboy34
01-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Ron does more aerobic exercise than I do, and I'm less than half his age!!11! :eek: :cool: ETA: How many feeble old guys do you know that have six pack abs like RP? ;)

roversaurus
01-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Show them this picture and ask them for a comparable one from Newt Gingrich.
Then tell them about the bike riding and being athletic and active his whole life.

This picture is from last year
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/252718_10150208633031686_6233046685_7290002_727408 _n.jpg

Jonathon
01-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Deleted.

vechorik
01-25-2012, 09:18 AM
I never take the "age resistance" seriously. Those people have other issues they just aren't mentioning.

I tell them if they're worried about Ron Paul DYING in office, don't -- because Ron Paul will have an excellent VP to carry on his vision.

Also, wonder how many times doctors have told Gingrich to "lose weight"?
Herman Cain had cancer that could return - no one worried about him dying.
Ron Paul is in excellent health and exercises daily. He's a MEDICAL DOCTOR, he should know how to take care of his health.

cheapseats
01-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Simple but difficult, the first thing y'all gotta do is start speaking TO them and ABOUT them with some respect.

Yeah yeah, respect must be earned. But with every bullshit law you abide by, you DO confer respect upon people much less respectable.

STIPULATED, we Baby Boomers dropped the ball. In the vernacular, we FUCKED UP. What Young 'Uns can't fathom or won't admit is that, to SAME EXTENT that one generation screws up, the next generation IS screwed up.

EVERY generation of 20-Somethings (whose brains, notably whose JUDGMENT CENTERS, we now know haven't finished cooking), thinks they have figgered out what Old Fogies failed to grasp. Hence the expressions A LITTLE BIT OF KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING and YOUTH IS WASTED ON THE YOUNG.

[I am NOT looking for a fight, I have fights aplenty. I SURELY am not looking to get banned -- on the contrary, I AM LOOKING FOR MY PEOPLE. If I am treading thin ice, PLEASE advise. I CAN further soften my bedside manner, but it is a colossal consumer of Time.]