PDA

View Full Version : Why young people follow you? Why don't you answer like this:

Publicani
01-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Because the TV news - Fox, CNN, MSNBC, - and radio news - Rush, Hannity, Levine - either black me out completely or say negative things about me. The only way to find truth about me and my message is to go on internet and that what most of tech savvy and independent thinking people do. Many of them are young.

When Ron Paul speaks about young people getting his message because of their youth and greater concern - it alienate older people.

Campaign. Campaign! Are you paying attention?

VCU for Ron Paul
01-22-2012, 08:33 PM
I think you are %100 right. My mom asked me this question last week and I answered pretty much like this.

"Well, almost all of the MSM has bias on issues and at least to an extent pushes some sort of an agenda. People like Bill O'reilly admit this bias in a sneaky way, he will say something like "Hey, I'm an opinion guy, not a news reporter" then spin an issue til' it's dizzy in the direction him and the establishment would like it to go. Consequently everything reported is not always accurate or true, and people's "truth" meters are beginning to sound the alarm when they hear something like "Ron Paul can never win" repeated over and over when they see the polls report I am the only one in the race along with Romney who can beat Obama and is on the ballot in all 50 states. It makes them think to themselves 'maybe I'm not getting the whole story here..' and since young people are more likely to be affluent and heavy internet users, they hop on youtube and watch videos and google Ron Paul and other candidates names and seem to always find a plethora of facts and reasons to light a fire in their hearts and support the Dr. with such passion, it's truly amazing, but as more people begin to take in the real information and not just the opinions and the spin of the main stream media, you will begin to see a huge shift in his direction among all age groups, and that's when his campaign and support will really explode"

Can anyone explain why they don't put an emphasis on studying up on the candidates all that much? they need to give people a direct urging and reason to do some research and utilize the internet. Are they worried about sounding like crybabies ya think? If you phrase it right I think something like this could help and come off not whiny.

sailingaway
01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
It's because people are starved for honesty and integrity in government.

BrittanySligar
01-22-2012, 08:37 PM
YES! I approve the message of the original poster.

FreeTraveler
01-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

+Rep

Publicani
01-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Just one more point. It's not only truthful to answer the original question this way. It also serves another purpose: to issue a call to arms against the media. It worked for Gingrich. Why Ron Paul doesn't fight back Fox and the rest - I don't understand. It makes him look weak and people wonder about his silence - If he doesn't call out his enemies, how could he call out enemies of the United States? People might decide that he is too nice for the job.

Tod
01-22-2012, 09:36 PM
I wonder how many times in the past year the phrase, "he's unelectable" or similar has been repeated on network news?

Tod
01-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Just one more point. It's not only truthful to answer the original question this way. It also serves another purpose: to issue a call to arms against the media. It worked for Gingrich. Why Ron Paul doesn't fight back Fox and the rest - I don't understand. It makes him look weak and people wonder about his silence - If he doesn't call out his enemies, how could he call out enemies of the United States? People might decide that he is too nice for the job.

Exactly!

unknown
01-22-2012, 09:39 PM
May want to start posting threads like this in "campaign suggestion box", though I dont think every thread makes it.

I think they are screened before being posted.

thoughtomator
01-22-2012, 09:41 PM
I like this suggestion.

moonshine5757
01-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Exactly! Great post! You Newt wouldn't never let the media just black him out like Ron does. You gotta use your moments in the MSM to let them know you're onto their games and you won't take the bias quietly.

MsDoodahs
01-22-2012, 09:43 PM
It's because people are starved for honesty and integrity in government.

I wish Ron would say, "Because young people can smell a hypocrit a mile away, and the other guys can't hide their stench."

But you do say it much nicer, Sailing. :)

VCU for Ron Paul
01-22-2012, 09:52 PM
He tried to call them out the other night and........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tbNBnBe2SI&feature=BFa&list=PL98BEF43D524F48EA&lf=BFp

Fermli
01-22-2012, 10:00 PM
OP's answer is good, but not politically correct enough and would turn people off. You have to be more subtle =)

Here's how Ron Paul should answer:
The internet users have chosen me as their candidate, not simply young people. Young people are the most likely to use the internet on a daily basis to get news and debate issues. The internet is the closest thing we have to a free society today, albeit a virtual one. On the internet, people get to see all sides of the debate, and they have easy access to all the facts. I believe that if people hear all the viewpoints and evidence, people will choose freedom based on both economic and moral reasons. And that is exactly what's happening on the internet. On the internet, people debate economic and political philosophies and because the evidence favors freedom, freedom is winning.

Publicani
01-22-2012, 10:02 PM
He should do it in the the debates. I only wish he prepares his answer in advance. Sometimes I have a feeling he's using ten weak sentences when one strong-worded sentence would be enough. This video is a typical example.

Publicani
01-22-2012, 10:05 PM
OP's answer is good, but not politically correct enough and would turn people off. You have to be more subtle =)

Here's how Ron Paul should answer:
The internet users have chosen me as their candidate, not simply young people. Young people are the most likely to use the internet on a daily basis to get news and debate issues. The internet is the closest thing we have to a free society today, albeit a virtual one. On the internet, people get to see all sides of the debate, and they have easy access to all the facts. I believe that if people hear all the viewpoints and evidence, people will choose freedom based on both economic and moral reasons. And that is exactly what's happening on the internet. On the internet, people debate economic and political philosophies and because the evidence favors freedom, freedom is winning.

Or just say "The internet users have chosen me as their candidate, not simply young people, because the main media protects status-quo by blacking me out." Say it slowly, forcefully, and pause.

r3volution
01-22-2012, 10:10 PM
tell that to newt last saturday night .

Publicani
01-23-2012, 04:40 AM
May want to start posting threads like this in "campaign suggestion box", though I dont think every thread makes it.

I think they are screened before being posted.

I suspect, actually I am sure the campaign is reading everything we post here. I think for legal reason, to keep the separation of the grassroots and the campaign, the campaign can't formally acknowledge that. There are many insightful analysis and good suggestions for performance improvement on this forum. It would be unforgivable for the campaign not to study our posts.

Hey, campaign, what's up? Give us a little nod and a wink once in a while, won't you?

SaulPaulinsky
01-23-2012, 07:48 AM
I think I would answer that question without answering it.

I would say well I think young people follow me because they're concerned about the way their future as Americans looks -- high debt, ongoing war, eroding personal liberties with people in Congress pushing things like SOPA and the NDAA provision that would make it legal for the military to detain an American citizen without access to a lawyer.

I think I appeal to those young people's parents because I want to give them their power back, their money back and their jobs back by letting the free market work and using our military to patrol our borders rather than the Afghanistan-Pakistan border. The best thing we can do for the economy is to get the government out of the way and slash the budget deficit and the huge interest our country pays just to service that debt. It's weighing down our economic recovery efforts that so far are failing!

And I appeal to their grandparents because I want to preserve the great America so many of them toiled to build. My budget preserves in total the Social Security benefits and Medicare benefits they've earned -- doesn't touch them, not a penny -- it pays respect to their sacrifices in WWII and Korea where we fought to win and did so. We've been at war in Afghanistan almost 3 times as long as it took to defeat the Nazis and Japan! That's a joke, that's an insult to the many that fought and died heroically in places like Iwo Jima, Chosun Reservoir, and the Battle of the Bulge, as well as those that put in long hours on the home front.

So to sum up, I think I'm the best candidate for young people, yes, but also for their parents, and their grandparents, and crucially...those young people's children that will be born into a country with real liberty.

Publicani
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I think I would answer that question without answering it.

I would say well I think young people follow me because they're concerned about the way their future as Americans looks -- high debt, ongoing war, eroding personal liberties with people in Congress pushing things like SOPA and the NDAA provision that would make it legal for the military to detain an American citizen without access to a lawyer.

I think I appeal to those young people's parents because I want to give them their power back, their money back and their jobs back by letting the free market work and using our military to patrol our borders rather than the Afghanistan-Pakistan border. The best thing we can do for the economy is to get the government out of the way and slash the budget deficit and the huge interest our country pays just to service that debt. It's weighing down our economic recovery efforts that so far are failing!

And I appeal to their grandparents because I want to preserve the great America so many of them toiled to build. My budget preserves in total the Social Security benefits and Medicare benefits they've earned -- doesn't touch them, not a penny -- it pays respect to their sacrifices in WWII and Korea where we fought to win and did so. We've been at war in Afghanistan almost 3 times as long as it took to defeat the Nazis and Japan! That's a joke, that's an insult to the many that fought and died heroically in places like Iwo Jima, Chosun Reservoir, and the Battle of the Bulge, as well as those that put in long hours on the home front.

So to sum up, I think I'm the best candidate for young people, yes, but also for their parents, and their grandparents, and crucially...those young people's children that will be born into a country with real liberty.

Nothing personal, but it's boring. Citing for the n'th time the talking points without any new angle and not answering the question.

Liberty1789
01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
It is very true that saying "The kids get the point (unlike the rest of you, brain-washed mass media zombies)." is very derogatory for older people and Paul is scoring atrociously poorly with voters above 65: in the first 3 primaries, I reckon that he got 9% of the total votes cast amongst the four remaining candidates so far, half his overall percentage. Remember: there are more Republicans older than 65 than younger than 40 (where Paul scored an almighty 33% so far), so it is a critical audience to win over.

So the right motto is:

"The young vote for me because that debt that we are piling on is going to crush their bones."

And here you have an ethical, very politically correct call to transgenerational fiscal responsability and you follow up talking about THE issue: deficits and debt. :)

SaulPaulinsky
01-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Nothing personal, but it's boring. Citing for the n'th time the talking points without any new angle and not answering the question.

Yeah, because we've heard so much about how seniors will keep their benefits, how much we respect their sacrifices, and how we disrespect that when we tear it down by heaping debt and perpetual war on the country.

Sorry to disappoint, but this is probably gonna be part of my caucus speech if I'm chosen to make one, because I want to make it crystal clear that Paul isn't just the best choice for the youth of America, he's the best choice for America -- young, old and middle-aged. I'd probably thrown in a refrain to keep hammering home the point that Paul is the best candidate. Maybe "the only" or maybe "the best candidate for America now, tomorrow and beyond".

Like people have said on the media threads...repetition works. Nothing wrong with telling people what they've already heard just to make sure they don't forget it, but packaging it together all at once with a common theme.

I was also thinking of my answer as more of a debate answer, or a caucus answer. If you were taking this as a discussion with a voter, then obviously you would tailor it to the demographic of that voter.

I will say one thing I screwed up: I wrote "I think". Shouldn't leave that doubt...it's "I am" or "he is", make it sound like fact, not opinion.

sam1952
01-23-2012, 06:10 PM
I am a 59 YO male who found Ron Paul on a gun forum in 2007. If I hadn't looked into him further on the internet I'd be sitting home watching BillO and listening to the usual parrots right now. Though honestly Sean Hannity turned me off before finding Ron Paul. It's amazing how your eyes are opened when seeing the truth rather than trusting the news media as I grew up doing...

Publicani
01-23-2012, 06:17 PM
I want to make it crystal clear that Paul isn't just the best choice for the youth of America, he's the best choice for America -- young, old and middle-aged.
On this note I agree completely. Sometimes I disagree with Ron Paul when he starts talking about young people "getting it," or veterans, because it may sound like pandering to special interests group.

SaulPaulinsky
01-23-2012, 06:55 PM
On this note I agree completely. Sometimes I disagree with Ron Paul when he starts talking about young people "getting it," or veterans, because it may sound like pandering to special interests group.

No disagreement here. Really need to make the case that he's the best for everyone. While most of our GOTV efforts here where I live will be on the young people, that's just because that's most of what it is here.

deputydon
01-23-2012, 07:01 PM
I usually just say something like, "back in 2008 I saw a man get on stage of a republican debate and he was the only person to speak strongly about my freedom. He spoke out against net neutrality (the sopa talk of 2008). He spoke of the government being everywhere and consuming the very freedom our country was built on. Then I noticed something after that debate, the media blacked him out. They didn't want him speaking of freedom, or civil rights, or privacy. And it was then that I realized he was our country's only hope.

Rudeman
01-23-2012, 07:10 PM
You know if they asked him this question he could really hit 2 spots in 1 response. Media bias and his electability. Something like this (I'm no speech writer or debater so obviously it could probably be fine tuned).

'It's probably because they don't get a majority of their news from the mainstream media, the mainstream media isn't about being unbiased they tell a certain narrative for instance after the CNN debate, during the post debate coverage they discussed my opponents 70-80 times, I was discussed only once. Now how could they possibly justify that? They tell you it's because I'm unelectable, or too extreme but the truth is that I poll just as well as Romney does head to head against Obama, in fact if the goal is to get Obama out of office then I'm the best candidate to do so.'

If Ron Paul said that or something like that imo it would be huge. He could also list why he would be the best if time permitted.

rb3b3
01-23-2012, 07:24 PM
He tried to call them out the other night and........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tbNBnBe2SI&feature=BFa&list=PL98BEF43D524F48EA&lf=BFp

woaaa ok enough ron heyyy ok ron stop ronnnn (hurry hurry cut to commercial quick) lol scumbags!

rb3b3
01-23-2012, 07:27 PM
something isnt adding up here, ron gets the mojority of the young voter, but yet he doesnt to tell well with seniors..... my question is, why are the youngsters not going to visit grandma and sit down with her or call her and grandpa too, to tell them about ron paul?? im sure the youngsters would have way more pull with their grandparents then the main stream media does? what am i missing here? matter of fact i called my grandmother today to preach ron paul and have her vote in the primaries here in ny, but unfortunately she is a democrat so she cant vote in the primaries, but she will be voting for ron paul in november

V3n
01-23-2012, 07:50 PM
the young lady on Freedom Watch answered this PERFECTLY tonight. Something about Libertarianism is a set of principles that doesn't change in reaction to the previous generation's wrong-doings. It doesn't change generation to generation and doesn't put up with generational theft. (paraphrased)

It was amazing. Watch it if you can.