PDA

View Full Version : Organization, Strategy and Tactics for election day

schmeisser
11-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Is it too early to begin talking/brainstorming about grassroots efforts on election day in each state?

I have been doing a lot of reading about the psychology and impact of different variables on election day. Some of the things to consider/discuss:

In addition to campaign efforts to get out the vote, what is the role of the grassroots groups on election day?

Will we have some online resources set up to locate polling stations where the exit pollsters and media are?

How do we make sure that we are adequately represented ;) by the exit pollsters and maximize participation in those surveys?

What would the affect be of large support at locations where the media is present?

What is the impact of fervent and loud support at polling locations?

If RP support is large enough at some locations that parking/logistics are impacted, how does this affect getting our voters in to the polls?

How can we make sure that we are involved in auditing the process for fairness?

I'd be interested in what everyone thinks about election day issues.

jgmaynard
11-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Is it too early to begin talking/brainstorming about grassroots efforts on election day in each state?

Nope.

Further questions/answers (or opinions) below:

In addition to campaign efforts to get out the vote, what is the role of the grassroots groups on election day?

Get voters TO the polls - I know people are already talking about this, but this is a technique that liberals/dems have been using for years - offer free rides to the polls for everyone, talk up your candidate for the whole car ride. It won't ensure a vote, but you'll swing quite a few undecided.
AND get out at the polls waving signs, etc. Good for another few percent.

Will we have some online resources set up to locate polling stations where the exit pollsters and media are?

All polling places are listed online - check your local media. Each meetup group would likely have info listed.

How do we make sure that we are adequately represented ;) by the exit pollsters and maximize participation in those surveys?

Get lots of people out to the polls representing Ron - You want the media to see the strength of the movement there.

What would the affect be of large support at locations where the media is present?

About 2-3% extra in the polls if your rally is prominent. Moreso if the weather is bad. I remember when I ran for City Council a few years back, at one of our 5 polling places, there was just myself and one of the 5 incumbents standing in freezing rain all day long. The media reported the next day that some people said they voted for us just because we were so determined.

What is the impact of fervent and loud support at polling locations?

My experience is LARGE counts for more than loud, and just being friendly and saying hi to the people coming in counts for a lot.

If RP support is large enough at some locations that parking/logistics are impacted, how does this affect getting our voters in to the polls?

Hopefully, we have cars always coming and going without having to park for any amount of time. Each polling place is likely to have different parking requirements/space, but it will have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis then by local people.

How can we make sure that we are involved in auditing the process for fairness?

Depends on the state - In NH, votes are counted in public locally and we can always have people (not too many!) show up.

Hope that helps.

JM

work2win
11-11-2007, 01:55 PM
I've started to think about this as well. Are there any legal issues we should be concerned about? For example, I seem to remember something about advertising not allowed on election day or something along those lines??

At a bare minimum, I will be delivering my absentee ballot to a polling place in person, wearing appropriate Ron Paul gear of course!

Paul4Prez
11-11-2007, 01:57 PM
It's not too early to start thinking about Election Day, but we still have a lot of work to do to raise Ron Paul's name recognition between now and then.

We need a massive lit drop, not just in New Hampshire and Iowa, but on all of America.

We have over 60,000 volunteers. The work we've done so far is great, but we're barely starting to tap the potential for what we could accomplish.

johngr
11-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Is there any way automate and use databases in the effort to get people to the polls?

dircha
11-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Why election day? Election day doesn't mean anything unless we win in the primaries, get delegates, and win the nomination. Let's worry about getting people to the primaries first.

And the number one thing any of us can do to make sure that people get out to their primary or caucus for Ron Paul, is to go out to their homes door to door in your own neighborhood and get them in contact with HQ or with your state organizer, or even yourself.

We need to establish lines of communication so that we can inform them on a per-precinct basis when and where to go for their primary or caucus the week before, the day before, and the day of.

Yes, you could arrange for a bus or for car pooling in your precinct, but this is necessarily a local activity, and you can't help unless you first go out door to door in your precinct and establish those critical lines of communication.

Most Americans still don't know who Ron Paul is.

dircha
11-11-2007, 02:02 PM
It's not too early to start thinking about Election Day, but we still have a lot of work to do to raise Ron Paul's name recognition between now and then.

We need a massive lit drop, not just in New Hampshire and Iowa, but on all of America.

We have over 60,000 volunteers. The work we've done so far is great, but we're barely starting to tap the potential for what we could accomplish.

Do you mean Election Day, or do you mean turning people out for their states' primary or caucus?

schmeisser
11-11-2007, 02:04 PM
Why election day? Election day doesn't mean anything unless we win in the primaries,

Just to clarify, I am talking about the primary elections.

Trassin
11-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm planning on renting a large van and talking to the local retirement homes about giving people rides to the polling places. Before each pick up I'm going to place Ron Paul fliers on all the seats in the van.

freelance
11-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Since we have so many students voting, one of our concerns is getting them to the polls. We need to use every available method--reminder calls, wakeup calls, buddy systems, rides to polls, etc.

Where I live, we have early voting. Does anyone else have that? If so, let's get them to vote early to avoid the lines.

billjarrett
11-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Maybe a "send out a reminder" website like teaparty07.com, but add in SMS support somehow, since I know quite a few people that don't check e-mail daily.