PDA

View Full Version : Wash. Post: Florida voting has started (not just absentees) & continues everyday.

jemuf
01-22-2012, 04:22 PM
I was surprised to learn that voting has already started in FL.

Here's two interesting blurbs from the article:

"One unaligned Republican strategist who has worked extensively in Florida estimates that as many as 500,000 votes will be cast by absentee ballot, half of which have already been mailed in."

"At least half — yes, half! — of the Republican primary vote will come from the Orlando and Tampa media markets, making winning the I-4 corridor tantamount to winning the state. In the 2008 Republican presidential primary, Arizona Sen. John McCain won the four main I-4 corridor counties — Orange, Osceola, Polk and Hillsborough — with between 33 and 37 percent of the vote; he won statewide with 34 percent."

ht tp://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/florida-presents-a-different-challenge-for-gop-presidential-candidates/2012/01/22/gIQA5AmoIQ_story.html

newbitech
01-22-2012, 04:25 PM
yep, and where do you think Ron Paul's strongest support comes from in this state? That is right! The I-4 corridor.

But, it doesn't matter, lost cause, waste of time/money, old people, etc..

edit: you could also put Pinellas County on that list. Part of the Tampa Bay Area (Tampa Media Market)

Elfshadow
01-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Im in orlando. As much as I hate to say it..... they are right. Huge following here but we are simply dwarfed by the retirement communities. If the state was proportional I could see it but its not so they should not spend a massive amount of money here.

specialkornflake
01-22-2012, 04:30 PM
I early voted today in St. Augustine Beach. Lots of Romney signs out front and 1 Santorum sign. Not sure how to get Ron Paul signs from the campaign to put out there.

MelissaWV
01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I early voted yesterday (and there were a variety of threads on it, but I guess they got buried, hence the "surprise" of the OP).

The only signs I saw were Ron Paul signs and Romney signs. There were Romney signs along an on ramp to the interstate which I reported, as that's a no-no here. Ron Paul signs strategically placed along routes to polling places (but not AT polling places where signs are also greatly discouraged), and even one at a car wash/fundraiser event on a street corner by a local church. Lots of traffic there, and lots of exposure.

This is the part of the state (North Central) where I would have expected Ron to pick up a delegate or two if things were proportional.