PDA

View Full Version : The Paul Doctrine on Foreign Policy: Changing perceptions of republican voters.

freneticentropy
01-22-2012, 02:16 PM
I posted this in an existing thread on grass roots, but I think it's important enough to post a new thread here.

Right now, we're losing. Let's face it. And we're losing because of foreign policy.

We need something drastic to pull in voters worried about FP. Paul needs to immediately announce a major foreign policy speech. He needs to get some buzz going. He needs to make out his foreign policy to be peaceful, but STRONG. Maybe get it a nice catchphrase like 'The Paul Doctrine' and get the media talking about it.

In it, he should talk about defending our borders, defending our shipping lanes, nuclear submarines, bilateral diplomacy, specifically targeting terrorists while avoiding nation building and quagmires, only going to war with a declaration from congress, and retooling our military for 21st century battles. He should emphasize that we spend more on the military than the rest of the world combined and that he still wants to have by far the largest military in the world, but streamline it, narrow it's mission and make it cost effective. He should discuss Israel and pulling aid from their adversaries. He should talk about granting Israel their sovereignty. In short, in this speech he needs to cover all the common criticisms.

He should also in the speech talk about making our economic policy part of our national security policy. He should lay out the fact that the US will not be able to defend itself if we have a dollar crisis and that financial security IS national security.

I think if he got a kick ass speechwriter to work on this with him, got some buzz going about an upcoming major policy speech, got his policy some branding (Paul Doctrine), it would be hard to ignore and it might sway huge swaths of people who aren't necessarily 'hawks' but think Paul's FP is 'naive'. That seems to be a lot of people. He doesn't need to be a warmonger. He just needs to show that he understands there are dangers in the world and he will address them. Peter Schiff has been saying the same thing. Lots of people are saying the same thing. At dinner table conversations with conservatives, this is what I'm hearing. It's always: "I like Ron Paul, but his FP is crazy." We need a solid, statesmanlike speech to show that his policy ISN'T crazy. It's balanced, it's constitutional, it's realistic, and it defends America.

If he doesn't do something DRASTIC about the perception people have of his foreign policy, HE WILL LOSE. He can't keep ignoring this issue. I hope to god the campaign is listening. This would be something that is almost free. It would cost hardly anything and has the potential to pull in millions of people wavering on Paul.

CAMPAIGN: THERE IS NO TIME TO WASTE. THIS MUST HAPPEN NOW. I have no idea what the downside could possibly be. But it's clear, we have to try. If we don't, we lose. Plain and simple. The campaign has done such a fantastic job with the ground game, and it makes me crazy that it's all going to waste because we can't formulate a clear FP vision that will alleviate the concerns of millions who'd like to vote for Paul but can't because of FP.

Everybody else: We need to pressure the campaign now on this. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Now. Clearing up people's fear (and that's what it is, fear) on FP MUST happen or he will not win.

This is not meant as a slam against Paul or the campaign in any way. When this all started, I didn't think we'd do nearly as well as we've done, and it's a testament to the hard work and tireless campaign efforts that we've come this far. But I think there is SO MUCH low hanging fruit that could be collected with a clear foreign policy statement. Maybe even up to ten or fifteen percent or more. That's enough to win.

PS. I also wouldn't mind a followup speech on domestic policy. Republicans would eat that up, no problem.

JJ2
01-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Absolutely. This is a MUST. Please, please listen to us RP campaign!

And yes, a catchy slogan is a must, such as "The Paul Doctrine" as you suggested, or something similar.

And yes, "retooling our military for 21st century battles." He should come up with specific ways in which he will improve, update, and strengthen our military.

The campaign needs to prove to us that they are actually trying to WIN this thing!

Feeding the Abscess
01-23-2012, 01:17 AM

And yes, a catchy slogan is a must, such as "The Paul Doctrine" as you suggested, or something similar.

And yes, "retooling our military for 21st century battles." He should come up with specific ways in which he will improve, update, and strengthen our military.

The campaign needs to prove to us that they are actually trying to WIN this thing!

If Ron Paul knew of ways to improve, retool, and strengthen the military, he should run for Secretary of Defense.

freneticentropy
01-23-2012, 04:12 AM

I think it would fire up the grass roots. We could have a 'Paul Doctrine' money bomb as well. Once he announces the date of the speech, we start coordinating a money bomb to start as soon as he walks away from the podium. I think the synergy would boost attention for both the speech and the money bomb.

Gingrich has somehow taken the mantle of the 'idea man' in the race, but we all know who the real idea man is. Paul should wrest that title back, by being the only candidate with an actual vision on FP as well as the only candidate with a comprehensive economic plan.

Feeding the Abscess
01-23-2012, 07:52 AM
I think it would fire up the grass roots. We could have a 'Paul Doctrine' money bomb as well. Once he announces the date of the speech, we start coordinating a money bomb to start as soon as he walks away from the podium. I think the synergy would boost attention for both the speech and the money bomb.

Gingrich has somehow taken the mantle of the 'idea man' in the race, but we all know who the real idea man is. Paul should wrest that title back, by being the only candidate with an actual vision on FP as well as the only candidate with a comprehensive economic plan.

Ron Paul isn't an "ideas guy". The whole point of Ron Paul is that he doesn't want to think of ways to improve the government and our lives - he wants to give back the power to us to make that happen.

freneticentropy
01-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Ron Paul isn't an "ideas guy". The whole point of Ron Paul is that he doesn't want to think of ways to improve the government and our lives - he wants to give back the power to us to make that happen.

Dude. Do you want to win or not?

Of course he's an ideas guy. You think there are no ideas behind libertarianism? Have you read Mises and Rothbard and Rand and Hayek? You think they didn't have ideas? What we are experiencing is in fact an ideological revolution, so of course there are ideas. I don't know why you seem to have a need to take these irrelevant snipes.

Also, he's not an anarchist. He believes in some government. Defense is part of that, and if he's elected, he will in fact have to manage our national defense.

ohgodno
01-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Actually, "the whole point of Ron Paul" is Constitutional government that secures civil liberties and provides for a strong national defense.

The hurdle to getting Ron Paul elected currently is the fact that people cannot see how non interventionism can provide for a strong national defense. How the philosophy is currently being explained isn't working… the idea is to not give up, but adapt.

freneticentropy
01-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Rasmussen just came out. We are hemorrhaging voters. It is imperative now that we
1) Address the foreign policy issue
2) Create the impression of Paul as a president and not just an ideological gadfly.

We are losing. Time is critical. I firmly believe that if Paul does not announce a major policy address before FL, and give the address by NV at the latest, the campaign is over. Does the campaign read these suggestions at all? Who do I need to call about this? How can we get their attention and promote this?

Right now, the media is in the process of turning Paul into an un-candidate. Without a primary win, he is being cast as an also-ran. They've always marginalized him, but it's getting worse. He absolutely must do something to bring the conversation back toward him, or he'll be invisible by the time Nevada comes around. Right now, the grass roots are having a hard time defending Paul on FP. Directing people to books and obscure youtube clips of out of context interviews is not cutting it. We need a definitive statement of Paul's FP from the man himself describing how the US can be peaceful, safe, and prosperous under a Paul administration. A major policy speech would fire up the grass roots and get them re-energized. If he doesn't fight back, the grass roots is slowly going to become demoralized, and Paul's candidacy and his message will slip back into obscurity. I beg the campaign, please consider this suggestion seriously. Paul MUST fight back. There is no time to waste.

floridasun1983
01-24-2012, 06:33 PM
For what its worth I agree with you entirely. Elections are all about perceptions, and perception is more real than reality. So far the Paul camp has allowed the media to paint him as a hundred different things he's not, all with little counter measures from the campaign.

JJ2
01-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Agreed 100%. Campaign please listen to us and do something!

Tamasaburo
01-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Totally agree. And, as I said in the other thread: release specifics! Publish a detailed policy plan about how it gets done! Then people can start interviewing him about "the Paul Plan" instead of just hitting the Iran issue over and over. The media eat up having a sort of canned question like that. Remember when Paul Ryan came out with a budget proposal that didn't even have a chance of passing and everyone has been talking about it ever since--"the Ryan Plan," "the Ryan Plan." It would be a huge coup if "the Paul Plan" became like that... plus we can say "Paul-Ryan '12" ;) (not that he's necessarily my ideal running mate for Paul, but just a joke...)

I hope someone at the campaign is listening...

Feeding the Abscess
01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Dude. Do you want to win or not?

Of course he's an ideas guy. You think there are no ideas behind libertarianism? Have you read Mises and Rothbard and Rand and Hayek? You think they didn't have ideas? What we are experiencing is in fact an ideological revolution, so of course there are ideas. I don't know why you seem to have a need to take these irrelevant snipes.

Also, he's not an anarchist. He believes in some government. Defense is part of that, and if he's elected, he will in fact have to manage our national defense.

Boring strawman, the whole thing.

Tamasaburo
01-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Ron Paul IS an "ideas" guy because liberty is a relatively new idea in human history. Had a good run from about 1700 to 1900 in the UK and then in the US. Then we pretty much went back to the all-tyranny-all-the-time channel humanity's been set on since the dawn of time. The ideas of personal liberty have only recently been revived by Mises, Rand, Hayek, Rothbard, and, even more recently, Paul himself. Sadly, tyranny and domination and "leaders" trying to micromanage peoples' lives is the default setting for humanity. Liberty is an important idea that must be fought for (at least in the realm of ideas).

Now it is true Paul is not "an ideas guy" in the same sense Gingrich is; Gingrich is an "ideas guy" in the sense of "someone who's constantly coming up with convoluted new schemes to make the government stop sucking." Paul is an "ideas guy" in the sense of espousing the philosophic and economic viewpoints that prove why none of the Gingrich-type schemes ever work in the long run. The key is in getting people to see how Paul's philosophy and economics are the real ideas we need, not more Gingrich-type reshuffling of the deck chairs on the Titanic.

freneticentropy
01-25-2012, 03:00 AM
Boring strawman, the whole thing.

It's quite obvious you don't even know what a strawman is. Complete non sequitor.

freneticentropy
01-25-2012, 10:52 PM
I went ahead and posted this on dailypaul. It's been getting pretty good response so far.

link (http://www.dailypaul.com/208128/campaign-suggestion-the-paul-doctrine-changing-republican-voter-perceptions-on-foreign-policy)

OreDigger
01-26-2012, 01:00 AM
The Paul Doctrine: I love it.

Ron Paul needs to give a Big Foreign Policy Speech.

We get no time at the debates.

It's time we start controlling our narrative.

Edward
01-26-2012, 01:05 AM
The Paul Doctrine.

I approve this message.

freneticentropy
02-05-2012, 03:04 AM
This is really the last chance. If the campaign doesn't do this right away, we may as well give up.

Ideally he at least makes the announcement tomorrow (Monday) before the Tuesday caucuses in the hopes of influencing the remaining February contests. If we don't have a win by super tuesday, we can hang it up.

We have a ceiling. It's because of foreign policy. He needs to do this to 1) get his name in the news and 2) to assuage voters who want to vote for him, but think his foreign policy is naive. This is a lot of people.

Come on campaign: We need a huge announcement, a big speech in front of the Washington Monument (or some other appropriate place). Get a tailored suit. Get some admirals and generals and intelligence people to appear on stage with him. Knock it out of the park. I'm begging.

Everyone, please contact the campaign and let them know what you think:

Headquarters Phone (Toll-Free): 1-855-886-9779
Headquarters Phone (Local): 1-703-563-6620

Or email:
http://www.ronpaul2012.com/contact-us/

LibertasPraesidium
02-05-2012, 07:10 PM
This can go hand in hand with his Plan to restore America that fiscal conservatives love. With a Paul Doctrine, (ie constitutional approach) we could use it as a selling point and then call people out who do not cite it as his official stance since right now they are arm twisting it however they see fit to make him look soft on Iran, and unwilling to help israel.