PDA

View Full Version : Ecological Effect Of Tea on the Sea?

kylejack
11-11-2007, 12:11 PM
What would happen if a bunch of tea was dumped into the ocean? Is it relatively harmless, or would it have a significantly negative effect on the eco-system? I'm just pondering some promotional ideas.

winston_blade
11-11-2007, 12:12 PM
What would happen if a bunch of tea was dumped into the ocean?

A revolution.

WillInMiami
11-11-2007, 12:12 PM
What would happen if a bunch of tea was dumped into the ocean? Is it relatively harmless, or would it have a significantly negative effect on the eco-system? I'm just pondering some promotional ideas.

You've got to be friggin' kidding me! Get your head our of your posterior, go out and find a vet, shake his/her hand, and say "THANK YOU!".

xerxesdarius
11-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm from San Diego and worked on a recent study by Scripps Institute of Oceanography that studied this very problem. Unfortunately, even small tea levels tended to dramatically reduce tax levels. Our funding dried up and we couldn't finish the study...:)

kylejack
11-11-2007, 12:15 PM
You've got to be friggin' kidding me! Get your head our of your posterior, go out and find a vet, shake his/her hand, and say "THANK YOU!".
Please stay on topic!

JosephTheLibertarian
11-11-2007, 12:17 PM
uhh.... the same effect of fresh water...only worse. I don't think it's healthy for fish to swim in tea, do you? ;) tea leaves.. or tea?

kylejack
11-11-2007, 12:18 PM
uhh.... the same effect of fresh water...only worse. I don't think it's healthy for fish to swim in tea, do you? ;)

Sorry, could you explain? Why the same effect of fresh water? No water would be involved, just tea leaves.

JMann
11-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Take a glass of water, place a tea bag in it and do a little research experiment of your own. Now take the same tea back and place it in your local city lake and see what effect it has on the lake. Now you can imagine what just might happen if a lot of tea was dumped into the world's oceans.

kylejack
11-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Take a glass of water, place a tea bag in it and do a little research experiment of your own. Now take the same tea back and place it in your local city lake and see what effect it has on the lake. Now you can imagine what just might happen if a lot of tea was dumped into the world's oceans.

Right, it clouds the water. But since its a plant, its not toxic, right? Does it reduce available oxygen in the water?

DrRich
11-11-2007, 12:24 PM
uhh.... the same effect of fresh water...only worse. I don't think it's healthy for fish to swim in tea, do you? ;) tea leaves.. or tea?

i cant see how a bit of tea can be worse than other stuff people dump in the sea.
like sewage and industrial waste.

WillInMiami
11-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Please stay on topic!

"Stay on topic"?!? If I'm not mistaken, the topic of the day is VETERANS! Not this silly shit about dumping some tea into water!

Do me a favor - if you have no respect for our vets, jump into the water with the fucking tea!

rich34
11-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Tea has alot of tannins in it so I would say that it would turn the water brown just like the blackwater rivers we have all over the country. Well, we have one blackwater river here in WV and it's because of the tannins in the water from some of the trees that grow up there.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-11-2007, 12:26 PM
i cant see how a bit of tea can be worse than other stuff people dump in the sea.
like sewage and industrial waste.

well, it can't be any good. Want fish to swim in cold salty iced tea? ;) I just think it's a waste of tea....

kylejack
11-11-2007, 12:27 PM
"Stay on topic"?!? If I'm not mistaken, the topic of the day is VETERANS! Not this silly shit about dumping some tea into water!

Do me a favor - if you have no respect for our vets, jump into the water with the fucking tea!
You know, there's dozens of topics in this forum, and many of them aren't about Veteran's Day, so you've got your work cut out for you. Make sure to post this de-rail in every one of those topics.

If you can't stay on topic, post in other threads.

trispear
11-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Teas is just the dried, crushed leaves of a plant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea

It is not some man-processsed chemical.

There are lots and lots of plants native to the ocean and their entire carcasses biodegrade in it as a cycle of life.

Tea leaves will have a neglible effect.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-11-2007, 12:33 PM
how will they affect fish?

Salamando
11-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Why not dump corn if you're going to dump anything?

kylejack
11-11-2007, 12:35 PM

Symbolism, of course.

JosephTheLibertarian
11-11-2007, 12:35 PM
I just don't see a point to this

damijin
11-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Fish might get a little caffeinated, increasing their reproduction rates at .0000000000000002%.

Of course a few million years down the line this impact will be huge, and you will be solely to blame.

DrRich
11-11-2007, 12:37 PM

wouldnt that defeat the whole purpose of having a "tea party" theme?

fj45lvr
11-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Sun fish love it.

Millions of tons of leaves get washed to the sea every year.

Nothing happens.

nlke182
11-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Don't dump tea its wasteful and destructive. No good press will come from polluting the water and besides it would be considered littering. Have the rallies and speeches but don't put crap into the ocean unless you want to piss off a lot of people.

kylejack
11-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Don't dump tea its wasteful and destructive. No good press will come from polluting the water and besides it would be considered littering. Have the rallies and speeches but don't put crap into the ocean unless you want to piss off a lot of people.

Throwing leaves is littering?

LibertyEagle
11-11-2007, 01:04 PM

qft

spiteface
11-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I thought we were dumping dollars into the campaign this for this tea party ???

kylejack
11-11-2007, 01:06 PM
I thought we were dumping dollars into the campaign this for this tea party ???

Yes, but it could be kicked off with a tea dump. Indeed, the company that lost the tea at the Boston Tea Party still sells tea! This time, it would be paid for, of course.

LibertyEagle
11-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes, but it could be kicked off with a tea dump. Indeed, the company that lost the tea at the Boston Tea Party still sells tea! This time, it would be paid for, of course.

Kyle, think about it. We would have the environmentalists all over us and likely, huge amounts of negative press that would far outweigh the good press that we would get from record-breaking donations.

I understand why you want to do this and it would be really neat, but the downside is just too large.

PatriotG
11-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Fish would be on a massive caffein high!

http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Animals/Fish/Big_eyed.gif

DrRich
11-11-2007, 01:12 PM
dont they do a re enactment every year? Kyle, why dont you get in touch with the people who does the re enactment and maybe become a co sponsor or something? just a thought.

spiteface
11-11-2007, 01:13 PM
My guess is, it would be a violation of multiple ordinances and laws in MA and Boston.

kylejack
11-11-2007, 01:14 PM
dont they do a re enactment every year? Kyle, why dont you get in touch with the people who does the re enactment and maybe become a co sponsor or something? just a thought.

That's another idea. The videos I've seen seem to indicate they dress in colonial clothing. Is that a politically correct thing, or are they just not informed about the Boston Tea Party? Odd.

bootstrap
11-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Hey, if you just throw handfuls of powdered (very fine) tea leaves into the bay, the quantity is too small to do anything sigificant to the environment. Furthermore, if anyone complains, just point out you are making a SYMBOLIC point by throwing 0.000000001% as much leaves into the bay as normally blow into the bay in the fall season (when the leaves turn color, fall off, and blow away).

If you do it this way, you're safe. If you dump dozens of crates into the water, you better do more research to understand the likely constraints.

alien
11-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Right, it clouds the water. But since its a plant, its not toxic, right? Does it reduce available oxygen in the water?

His point was that it would be so diluted it would not affect anything.

Corydoras
11-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Don't do it... bad press, littering, wasteful, expenditure of money that could go to the campaign... Bad for fish, too. Tea changes the pH of the water, and as anyone who has kept fish knows, sudden pH changes harm fish. These are not wild tree leaves that will give up their tannins and other chemicals at a slow natural rate, these are domesticated leaves bred and treated specifically to disperse chemicals into water quickly (i.e. make tea).

tfelice
11-11-2007, 03:27 PM

A better experiment would be to take one tea leaf, snip of a milimeter of it and drop it in an Olympic size pool. That's about the effect a container load of tea would have on the oceans.

SeanEdwards
11-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Fish love tea. I put several teabags in my fish tank every day. It's like a giant iced tea, with fish in it. Don't forget the sugar too.

Thomas Paine
11-11-2007, 03:42 PM
The fish in the harbour would get a little jumpy after swimming through some tea.

fluoridatedbrainsoup
11-11-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm from San Diego and worked on a recent study by Scripps Institute of Oceanography that studied this very problem. Unfortunately, even small tea levels tended to dramatically reduce tax levels. Our funding dried up and we couldn't finish the study...:)
lmfao

constituent
11-11-2007, 04:01 PM

I'm sorry, what was ^ that?

constituent
11-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Symbolism, of course.

corn tea?

Corydoras
11-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Please don't dump organic matter close to shore where it takes a long time to clear out.

MozoVote
11-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Arrrg. Somebody move this stupid thread to hot topics. :rolleyes: