PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: Please stop dignifying this question with a defensive response

Madison
11-11-2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZsZ0_OLer4

Last question of the interview is the usual, "if you don't win the Republican nomination will you run on a third party ticket?"

And RP gave the same answer he always has, which is numerous times now.

If you agree that he should take a more aggressive approach to this question, pointing out that he's clearly doing well enough to compete for the nomination right now, I would advise kindly letting the campaign know how you feel. I believe it is important to project a confident message and not let the interviewer give the viewer the impression that there is no way he is going to win the nomination.

johngr
11-11-2007, 12:41 PM
"I think you should be asking Rudy McRomson if they would support me." is an appropriate way to answer at this point.

Ron Paul Fan
11-11-2007, 12:44 PM
I will not. I'm not going to try and run his life and tell him what to say. I think Ron Paul did a great job in that interview and answering that question. Ron Paul is catching on.

Goldwater Conservative
11-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I think the best response would be "Did you ask Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and John Kerry the same question when they were polling as well as I am a few weeks before the first primary?"

me3
11-11-2007, 12:51 PM
An ideal response might be,

"My positions are traditional Republican values. They belong in the Republican party, and should be represented by a Republican candidate for President."

ppc1040
11-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree. This is one question where Dr. Paul always being in an off-the-cuff mode really hurts him.

Undecideds need to know that he wants to win the nomination. Hell, his supporters need to know that he truly wants the nomination.

foofighter20x
11-11-2007, 12:55 PM

"My positions are traditional Republican values. They belong in the Republican party, and should be represented by a Republican candidate for President."

Winner.

mport1
11-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, it is such a terrible way to answer that question. If he doesn't espouse confidence about his chances, a lot of people will not jump on board with the campaign.

parke
11-11-2007, 12:56 PM

ditto

LibertyEagle
11-11-2007, 12:58 PM
"I think you should be asking Rudy McRomson if they would support me." is an appropriate way to answer at this point.

Originally Posted by me3

Both of these are good, IMO.

rasheedwallace
11-11-2007, 12:58 PM

;)

RPatTheBeach
11-11-2007, 01:10 PM
If I recall correctly, recent news is indicating that Fred Thompson's campaign is losing steam because of his nonchalant attitude about winning the nomination. Can anyone confirm this, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

RedRider
11-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Sometimes I wonder if he really wants to win, or if this is all just to raise awareness of how our country should be. The man doesn't really show confidence that he can win. I mean, he scored 4.2 mil last week and he's still saying "welllll, I think the chances of me winning are better than they were before..."

Somebody needs to have a sit down with him and ask him if he's really in to win this thing.

IMHO, of course.

syborius
11-11-2007, 01:16 PM

This is by far the most politically savvy answer one can give when confronted with such a question

Seanmc30
11-11-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't think it is acceptable to speak of third party runs until a third party run is absolutely necessary! The people donating money right now are donating to a Republican candidate for president, and it is in his/our best interest to fight tooth and nail like there is no tomorrow for that nomination. If the worst happens and Rudy McRompson wins the Republican nomination, then Ron Paul will have drummed up as much media support as possible because of his affiliation with a major party.

I think he is absolutely right to assume that a third party run will be more difficult than just winning the Republican nomination outright. I also think it is right for him to deny any desire to run third party, so his supporters will campaign and donate for him as if it is their best and only shot!!.......and it might be!!!

Corydoras
11-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Sometimes I wonder if he really wants to win, or if this is all just to raise awareness of how our country should be. The man doesn't really show confidence that he can win.

Thank you for saying this. I DO wonder sometimes if he's in it to win it, or just to scare the living daylights out of the establishment.

I do like the idea of making the establishment become truly aware of the people's anger... but I like the idea of winning the White House more.

On the other hand, how many times have you heard people say that people who actually want to be president are crazy and we ought to give the presidency only to competent, reluctant people who are realistic enough to know what an incredibly difficult job it is...!
:D

So either way I'm going to push onward.

Marceline88
11-11-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree, he needs to start snapping back with confidence in his chances. No more answers like the one to Stepphanluppagus where he sweetly says that success is to ....well win??? And then gets a punch in the gut about it.

Nother' thing....after I watched the rally speech from yesterday one thing that bugs the hell outta me. He needs to stop saying....."if I am given the chance to decide" or "if I am in a place to make decisions".......STOP!!!!! RON, my love, PLEASE for GOD"S sake!!!!!
SAY this, say it everyday in mirror Congressman, say it 1000 times until it becomes part of your regular speech....say "WHEN I AM PRESIDENT......." and then tell the world what you will do.

No more waffling Dr. Paul, you sweet humble man you, SAY it......

WHEN I AM PRESIDENT.........

OWN it.