PDA

View Full Version : Get Google, other tech corps, to support Ron Paul?

JasonM
01-21-2012, 11:30 PM
What if the major leaders in the tech industry such as Google were to start plugging for Ron Paul and link directly to his campaign site, even if only for like 2-3 days? What would it take to get them to give Ron Paul that kind of publicity?

Gotta say, if there was a media blackout, it will be temporarily disrupted by a stunt like that.

We know it worked to get out the protest against SOPA/PIPA, and we know a lot of these folks support Ron Paul too. Worth a try, don't you think? :D

JasonM
01-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Bump

thoughtomator
01-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Google is in bed with Obama.

Mini-Me
01-22-2012, 12:11 AM

I think it's a longshot, but...they might change their tune with Obama shutting down sites by executive order. He's essentially taking SOPA powers unto himself, and Google has strong enough problems with SOPA that they might...just might...rebel.

frickettz
01-22-2012, 12:18 AM

So is facebook.

LinuxJedi
01-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Technology is an interesting industry. There are few, if any, regulations... and many successful companies now rely on open source software for their profit. Google (Linux servers), and Facebook (mysql and php I believe) are a couple examples, same with IBM (Linux everything). Open source software is very "libertarian", and I have pondered a great deal lately if I should write up an article or blog targeted to that audience in their own language, for why Paul represents the best aspect of their own movement.

Companies have a hard time endorsing things because they don't want to alienate their customers...

rpwi
01-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Pretty sure google has donated to Ron Paul's campaign this year...they definitely did in 2008. ~About 22k which made them one of the top contributers.

LinuxJedi...nice to see another LAMP supporter on the forums...lxde-ubuntu user myself. Would love to see the topic of patent reform brought up. Patents are being handed out willy-nilly and this is especially bad in the IT sector.

Here is the thing with patents...they are wonderful things if your idea is truly original. The problem...what if somebody else would have come up with the same idea on their own? Then patents become a stifling government enforced monopoly that cripples competition and keeps prices and innovation down. With IT moving as fast as it is, I would love to see a little simplicity here...just get rid of software patents. Too much of a chance that somebody else would have come up with that. An analogy...if grog the caveman invents the wheel...and thrag the caveman would have invented the wheel a month later...should thrag have to pay whatever grog wants to use a wheel? It's not fair. Some libertarians like Harry Browne and our very first patent administrator (some guy by the name of Thomas Jefferson) clearly saw the problems I'm illustrating and actually made the arguments against patents.

Unfortunately while google is a big sponsor of the Paul campaign they probably wouldn't be for getting rid of patents. They have a TON of patents especially along the lines of searches that really keep the competition at arms length.

rideurlightning
01-22-2012, 10:36 AM
I might be worth a try, but it seems unrealistic to me.

rpwi
01-22-2012, 10:50 AM
A Silicon Valley area debate might be a good idea. It could be hosted by google or somebody like that...would focus on IT issues with questions from the internet. Could be a nice way to get Silicon Valley behind Paul.

Muwahid
01-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Google Employees donate a lot to Paul, but a big company will not risk their reputation by plugging any candidates, because people will question the integrity of their services, if say, Google news is bias as a news aggregation site. We need to win the campaign the good ol fashion way.

walt
01-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Google Employees donate a lot to Paul, but a big company will not risk their reputation by plugging any candidates, because people will question the integrity of their services, if say, Google news is bias as a news aggregation site. We need to win the campaign the good ol fashion way.

This was the only post that makes any sense here. There are individual employees at Google who do indeed support Ron Paul. However, Google pretends to be against SOPA, but since Eric Schmidt attended Bilderberg at least twice, we know that what they appear to be in the short run and what they will be in the long run are, quite likely, two different things.

http://www.dailypaul.com/52885/eric-schmidt-of-google-was-at-bilderberg-in-2008

Would encourage everyone to watch Eric Schmidt's stroll (and attitude) at Bilderberg 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1tLFuI58_g

Merk
01-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Google has been fully absorbed by the cartel. Just look at their news aggragator and how it blacks out Ron all the time. Rarely will you see Ron articles getting pushed.

Lothario
01-22-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't see how Ron Paul is in the best interest of any big business...

thoughtomator
01-22-2012, 11:37 AM

that's a second order effect... the primary sources are the ones not mentioning him, so the aggregates won't either

RonPaulCult
01-22-2012, 11:41 AM
I live in Silicon Valley and I visit various google buildings from time to time. I've seen quite a few Ron Paul bumper stickers on cars and a few signs in cubicles inside the buildings. The employees are mostly young and very educated so it's no surprise that they like Ron Paul. You'll see a lot of Obama stickers as well though.

The executives of Google are Obama people to the core though.

Paulitics 2011
01-22-2012, 12:06 PM

No, it's not. They didn't even hire lobbyists until they needed to to defend themselves against attacks from Apple over patent law.

Many from Google donated to Barack Obama and Ron Paul. Many in the tech industry are very libertarian, in fact.

This. The SOPA/PIPA protests were things that:
a) Directly threatened their bottom line
b) Were widely opposed by people of nearly ALL political opinions
c) Weren't a topic that people would suspect Google of altering their results to show bias towards.

Google has been fully absorbed by the cartel. Just look at their news aggragator and how it blacks out Ron all the time. Rarely will you see Ron articles getting pushed.

Not everything is a conspiracy! Google aggregates news from other sources - when the majority of articles published regarding Ron Paul are negative, the majority of the aggregated news will be negative. Is that so hard to understand?

centure7
01-22-2012, 12:23 PM
We should be starting our own competing websites. Personally I'm helping work on a social media website. PM me if you'd like to be involved.

JJ2
01-22-2012, 03:13 PM
What we need is someone to pour $100 million into a SuperPAC. This could counteract the effect of the media.