PDA

View Full Version : Direct economic arguments to older voters

thoughtomator
01-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Older voters just hear a lot of scare stories about Paul and how he wants to dismantle their SS and Medicare.

They will react best to arguments that stress the critical need to address the fiscal situation before the government's checks bounce.

They need to understand that the world is shifting away from US currency and we can no longer export our deficit driven inflation to other countries.

Point out that the Fed has monetized the deficit 2 years in a row, and that the situation is immediate, not in the far off future.

Point out the smaller packages, higher prices, and inferior product substitution that has already happened, and ask them how long they are willing to let that trend continue with monetary debasement. Ask them when they got a zero cost-of-living-adjustment, if the inflation they experienced was really zero.

Explain to them that the situation is so dysfunctional that it is killing the future of their grandchildren.

Paul will stop us from sending our money abroad and use it here to make sure that they are taken care of. He has spoken of this many times but it never got emphasized.

Older voters vote. Talk to them. Kids are already spreading the message among themselves virally.

Also have the kids talk to their parents, their grandparents. Find ways around the media to get to them.

thoughtomator
01-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Another good argument for older voters, any with any sort of savings: The Fed is stealing their earned interest with artificially low interest rates, then stealing value out of the principal with money printing. What good is a dollar that can't buy anything?

MsDoodahs
01-21-2012, 11:52 PM
And yet another good argument to use with seniors - ask them if they're aware Obama has ALREADY implemented severe cuts to medicare reimbursements to nursing homes, and that is already DIRECTLY affecting resident care.

Most of the elderly know people who are in nursing homes, and the care was already not great - now it is even worse. Also most elderly people have great fear about their family sticking them in a nursing home - so they don't want to see huge cuts to medicare targeted at nursing homes.

Ron understands that medicare cuts can't be targeted at the most vulnerable - and nursing home residents ARE the most vulneralbe among us.

driller80545
01-21-2012, 11:54 PM
You all need to stop calling out older voters. You need more votes from all ages.

everlasticity
01-21-2012, 11:57 PM
I think we need to be a little more fear mongering than that. Not my quote, but like this

"We can't afford you old people any more. It's a matter between Bombs and Pills, and we are choosing Bombs"

thoughtomator
01-21-2012, 11:58 PM
It's not "calling out" older voters.

It's talking about the things that these real people - and heavy voting demographic - care about.

driller80545
01-22-2012, 12:01 AM
I think we need to be a little more fear mongering than that. Not my quote, but like this

"We can't afford you old people any more. It's a matter between Bombs and Pills, and we are choosing Bombs"

Newsflash, old people are not afraid of you. We have guns too. And a lot more experience with them.

kill the banks
01-23-2012, 06:15 PM
give Florida a shot of truth ... we have everything to win in this debate ... ( great time to hit both genders of all ages but completely reassure the retired people that they get their cheques and how)

zeloc
01-23-2012, 07:26 PM
While all the arguments in this thread make sense, I DON'T think it is a smart debate strategy because these arguments are a bit complicated. I think that Ron Paul should go for the emotional response. Eg the OP mentioned "killing the future of their grandchildren." He should emphasize the number of persons out of work, that individuals are suffering, and that his plan is the only one that is going to change the status quo. Everyone wants something simple that they can latch on to.