PDA

View Full Version : Treating VA like a Caucus

NovaRP
01-21-2012, 10:50 PM
After reading through the rules, it looks to me that although we have a primary here, the actual delegates will be chosen via a process very similar to those in the caucus states. Starts with electing delegates in local elections to go to district elections to elect delegates to state elections to elect delegates to the national convention. Although the eventual delegates will be "pledged" by the results of the primary, that only applies to the first ballot and certainly does not apply to any of the other votes that take place at the national convention.

It seems to me that we need to work the system in Virginia so that even if Romney gets some official pledged delegates out of the primary, they are all actually stealth Paul delegates. Step 1) swarm the local meetings with RP supporters and elect nothing but from within that group to the next level; Step 2) repeat at the district level, and so on and so on.

Problem is I am having trouble figuring out when my own local election even takes place (it can take place as early as February 15, but the date is up to the local chair I think). Is anyone compiling this information?

Aratus
01-21-2012, 10:58 PM
brilliant post.

RonPaul101.com
01-22-2012, 09:50 AM
This is true for most/all states, we need to build this up from the bottom up; we need county level delegates to start the process.

NovaRP
01-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Obviously you can tell from my giant post number that I am brand new to the forums. Although I have been passively donating to the campaign, I am just now for the first time thinking I really need to do more. Can people who are more experienced in the movement help me figure out a game plan for going forward?

Things I think we need to do include:
1) Figure out when/where each of the local meetings are
2) Get RP people across the state organized and ready to swarm these meetings
3) Learn what the heck goes on at these meetings and what we need to know in order to keep from getting rolled over like happened to many groups in the last cycle.

The locals start in less than a month, so this seems like a gargantuan task if no one has started it yet. Any suggestions on how to accomplish any of this? Should I contact the state HQ?? Are there other forums I should be posting on?

PursuePeace
01-22-2012, 03:39 PM
NovaRP.. here is the link for the Alex/Arl. Ron Paul meetup group:

http://www.meetup.com/ronpaul-30/

Aratus
01-22-2012, 06:23 PM
good luck!

sailingaway
01-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Great first post, and welcome to the forums!

Primbs
02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
We should be able to get some delegates out of virginia.

Aratus
02-05-2012, 03:45 PM
WE NEED A RON PAUL WIN SO DARN CLOSE TO D.C SO WE CAN SEND SHOCKWAVEs ALL THE WAY TO TAMPA!

carterm
02-05-2012, 03:51 PM
do we have clarification about the write-in issue? is it going to take effect this year or next year

pcaharrier
02-07-2012, 09:54 AM
do we have clarification about the write-in issue? is it going to take effect this year or next year
It will not be in effect for the presidential primary; I know that much. It might or might not be in effect for other primaries that are being held later this year.

Aratus
02-07-2012, 10:39 AM
we need to keep romney's numbers low in VIRGINIA as we try to get the mojo up
for the taxpayer revolt going that secures 51% of the vote for doctor ron paul!!!

gerryb
02-08-2012, 01:35 PM
http://rpv.org/node/908

Forms for participating..

Specifically
Official Call for RPV 2012 State Convention.pdf
Sample RPV Delegate Pre-File Form.pdf

VAMole
02-08-2012, 08:47 PM
It seems to me that we need to work the system in Virginia so that even if Romney gets some official pledged delegates out of the primary, they are all actually stealth Paul delegates. Step 1) swarm the local meetings with RP supporters and elect nothing but from within that group to the next level; Step 2) repeat at the district level, and so on and so on.

Problem is I am having trouble figuring out when my own local election even takes place (it can take place as early as February 15, but the date is up to the local chair I think). Is anyone compiling this information?

You need to watch this space: http://www.rpv.org/official_calls - all calls for mass meetings (that's your local election) will be published here with at least 15 days notice. Danville and Arlington's calls are already up.
With respect to your "elect only Paul people" remark, the way the meetings are set up, that's impossible. As long as the number of pre-filed candidates for delegate is lower than the number of delegate slots, all pre-filed candidates are declared elected.

Keith and stuff
02-08-2012, 09:16 PM
WE NEED A RON PAUL WIN SO DARN CLOSE TO D.C SO WE CAN SEND SHOCKWAVEs ALL THE WAY TO TAMPA!

Have you ever been to VA? Freedom is not popular in VA, especially Northern VA. Romney is out pulling Paul 68% to 19%. Tens of thousands of Republicans in VA would lose their jobs in VA if Paul were elected. I know that Romney also calls for reducing the federal workforce by 10% but we all know Romney is just pretending.

Aratus
02-09-2012, 06:38 AM
i have visited, and yes, the binary ballot has become high drama.
a strong push by doctor ron paul would only impell mitt romney
to media blitz the tv airwaves like he just did in florida but this is
a contest that could be over by supertuesday if it's not active.
passively handing him the state makes his win easier at this point.