PDA

View Full Version : from Twitter: Fileserve deleting USA files, ending affiliate

cindy25
01-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Fileserve removed it's affiliate page as of few minutes ago, because USA/FBI thinks that a legal part of their.

first they came for Megaupload, and I did nothing
then they came for Fileserve, then they came for RonPaulforums?

Dustancostine
01-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Was Megaupload supporting people illegal sharing copywrited material? I haven't been following it that closely. What about Fileserve?

I don't think RonPaulForums is allowing people to illegally distribute copywritten material.

specsaregood
01-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Was Megaupload supporting people illegal sharing copywrited material? I haven't been following it that closely. What about Fileserve?

heck megaupload was actually rewarding people based on how often their content was downloaded.

I don't think RonPaulForums is allowing people to illegally distribute copywritten material.
I think the primary distinction is that RPF doesn't have a business model based around breaking the law with such material.

QueenB4Liberty
Well we don't think we are sharing illegal copyrighted material, but who knows what other people think. :rolleyes:

onlyrp
ronpaulforums hasn't and probably would NEVER allow uploading of copyrighted files without authorization (at least not for storage and distribution, at most they allow sharing of photos, which can be taken down on a DMCA notice). so no, piracy police aren't coming here anytime soon.

cindy25
Megaupload was a storage company; no different than a bank having a safe deposit box for a drug dealer. would the FDIC seize the bank, and the contents of other deposit boxes there?

Hollywood and MSM want control; they don't want forums like this

onlyrp
01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
heck megaupload was actually rewarding people based on how often their content was downloaded.

I think the primary distinction is that RPF doesn't have a business model based around breaking the law with such material.

exactly.

aravoth
01-20-2012, 10:41 PM
ronpaulforums hasn't and probably would NEVER allow uploading of copyrighted files without authorization (at least not for storage and distribution, at most they allow sharing of photos, which can be taken down on a DMCA notice). so no, piracy police aren't coming here anytime soon.

if sopa wasn't shelved they could have yanked this site down in a heartbeat

TheViper
01-20-2012, 10:49 PM
True they did but they didn't know the contents of the data being shared.

Say File A and File B both had 100,000 downloads and the uploader was rewarded but File A and File B are content agnostic to MegaUpload until a copyright holder files a complaint. Then they manually inspect the file and take action if it's illegal content.

kylejack
01-20-2012, 10:52 PM
My understanding is that Megaupload was honoring DMCA Takedown requests. Where they're going to have trouble, though, is that the government is saying the owners and executives personally uploaded copyrighted content.

specsaregood
01-20-2012, 10:53 PM
True they did but they didn't know the contents of the data being shared.

Say File A and File B both had 100,000 downloads and the uploader was rewarded but File A and File B are content agnostic to MegaUpload until a copyright holder files a complaint. Then they manually inspect the file and take action if it's illegal content.

That's what they always say. Of course when internal documents and emails get turned over its gonna expose that as being false, no doubt about it.

TheViper
01-20-2012, 11:01 PM
That's what they always say. Of course when internal documents and emails get turned over its gonna expose that as being false, no doubt about it.

Got a link to these emails and internal documents?

dillo
01-20-2012, 11:06 PM

yea because the FBI has internal documents in fuckin slovakia and new zealand

onlyrp
01-20-2012, 11:08 PM

sadly, you're right, but it would unlikely be for a legitimate piracy or DMCA claim.

torchbearer
01-20-2012, 11:11 PM
i watched doctor who episodes tonight that i downloaded off of a torrent. i deserve to be kidnapped from my dwelling and held againsy my will in a prison- and if i refuse to be kidnapped, i deserve to be killed for watching those episodes at a time and place of my choosing without commercial or consent.

cindy25
01-20-2012, 11:16 PM
i watched doctor who episodes tonight that i downloaded off of a torrent. i deserve to be kidnapped from my dwelling and held againsy my will in a prison- and if i refuse to be kidnapped, i deserve to be killed for watching those episodes at a time and place of my choosing without commercial or consent.

what I don't understand is why the studios just don't upload the episodes (with commercials) to these sites. they get a free platform, get paid for the commercials, and would get paid when someone downloads

instead they get nothing, spend millions on lobbyists and end up hated.

TheViper
01-20-2012, 11:17 PM
what I don't understand is why the studios just don't upload the episodes (with commercials) to these sites. they get a free platform, get paid for the commercials, and would get paid when someone downloads

Cindy, stop with all that logic talk. They don't' want to hear that. There is no power grab from logic like that.

specsaregood
01-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Got a link to these emails and internal documents?

Nope.

The Gold Standard
01-20-2012, 11:28 PM

Don't be too relieved. They can shoot a missile from a drone through your bedroom window. They can do whatever they want.

torchbearer
01-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Don't be too relieved. They can shoot a missile from a drone through your bedroom window. They can do whatever they want.

so can i. but i'd rather just live peacefully.

kylejack
01-20-2012, 11:40 PM

Because they never embrace new technology and have sued and asked for legislation to kill the cassette tape, the VCR, the mp3 player, etc.