PDA

View Full Version : WOW!! I think the Internet just found its political muscle

JasonM
01-20-2012, 08:37 PM
The response to SOPA and PIPA must have been truly immense to have this kind of effect on Congress. It seems like Internet activists really did see these bills as an existential threat, although major props have to be given to Google and Wikipedia for lighting the match to this movement. I can only imagine the firestorm and the non-stop ringing of staffer phones and the hundreds of thousands of the SAME emails saying the same thing to every single member of congress.

As a former political intern for a state representative in Missouri, I can attest to the fact that there are stories that staffers can tell that never make the news, mostly because of the whole confidentiality thing. But Imagine the stories if these guys come out anonymously and offered a rare look at the internal workings of Congress.

My friends, we have made and witnessed history. Consider this quote from the evil Chris Dodd, the head of the SATANIC organization that is the MPAA: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/while-mpaa-watches-sopa-crumble-digital-rentals-rise-as-physical-rentals-decline/

Dodd is seeking a compromise on the issue and declared that he had never seen “an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically” over the past forty years.

So rejoice my friends, the internet just became the mouthpiece and weapon of the people. Screw the MPAA and RIAA, I don't care if their entire cartel goes down in flames and tens of thousands lose their jobs. The NEW music/movie industry will continue on in the Internet, where it belongs, and become the bait to draw people in to buy other products instead of making the music/movie itself a product.

Tyler_Durden
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
It's not over. Theyre already trying to maneuver. People have to remain vigilant....

I wish their had been the same type of up-in-arms reaction to NDAA......

matt0611
01-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Yes, the people in congress will listen if enough people stand up and let their voices be heard. (in most circumstances at least).

Remember what Ron says, most people in congress are not very principled and will change their mind if the people speak up.

toast
01-20-2012, 08:44 PM
I agree; what happened was very heartening. I am feeling good about the future.

eleganz
01-20-2012, 08:46 PM
It wouldn't have been as influential without Wikipedia and Google.

Don't be so surprised just yet, the majority are still asleep even though they saw a google/wiki warning and signed a little petition.

cindy25
01-20-2012, 08:48 PM
if they were truly afraid they would not have stolen Megaupload

brandon
01-20-2012, 08:52 PM
I think it's pretty meaningless. I agree with a lot of this:
http://maddox.xmission.com/

The Goat
01-20-2012, 08:52 PM
I can only imagine what they had planed considering Megaupload. I bet most of the foreign sites wouldn't still be up.

JasonM
01-20-2012, 08:56 PM

megaupload is just one site though and ultimately a victim of its own success. The same fate would have befallen Youtube had the original site owners not sold out and tried to defy the MPAA and RIAA. The main fault was that the megaupload people weren't savvy enough to avoid using leased servers in the USA, which is sadly a stronghold for anti-filesharing powers. Other sites will take its place, and if they too are struck down, then other ingenious file sharing and file storing methods will be used.

But I do agree, much work is left to be done.

JasonM
01-20-2012, 09:12 PM

I agree with this too. Defense of Liberty takes eternal vigilance, and most of us simply don't have the ability to be eternally vigilant due to having jobs, entertainment distractions, and so forth. I mean we got C-Span to monitor the freaking Congress, yet most folks don't watch it because it is soooooo boring most of the time.

Unfortunately, lots of people have to lose everything they own, or be on the verge of it, before they do something. People won't understand the concept of indefinite detention until their loved ones are dragged away and tortured, and this happens on a widespread scale.

That's why we need a guy like Ron or Rand Paul and similar freedom loving heros to be there, ready to take command when it all comes crashing down and people are looking for a leader to make it all right again. The Tea Party and the Occupy Movement never had a single person around which to focus all their passions and Ideas, but we do. THAT is the difference between us and other protest movements, and that's why it is SO SO SO important that we nurture and support such people when we see them arise.

Sematary
01-20-2012, 11:15 PM
It's not over. Theyre already trying to maneuver. People have to remain vigilant....

I wish their had been the same type of up-in-arms reaction to NDAA......

They would have - if the msm had even mentioned it once.

Gary4Liberty
01-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Ron said, this one wont pass but watch out for the next one.

Tod
01-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Yes, the people in congress will listen if enough people stand up and let their voices be heard. (in most circumstances at least).

Remember what Ron says, most people in congress are not very principled and will change their mind if the people speak up.

That's true, but that means speaking up REGULARLY, and people get tired of being diligent, just as they get tired about hearing about a natural disaster. These bozos know that if they can keep it up long enough, they'll win.

ryanmkeisling
01-20-2012, 11:35 PM
I am amazed there wasn't an uproar sooner fro many of these sites that blacked out. It is not like these bills just came out of nowhere, they been sitting around in congress for quite a while. This is just the beggining of the fight for internet freedom,especially considering it is how RP has been able to grow the message so well, and we think that no one in government knows this fact?

TheBlackPeterSchiff
01-21-2012, 12:40 AM
They'll forget about it in a month or 2.

Reason
01-21-2012, 11:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCLugMzZW8

Luciconsort
01-21-2012, 12:16 PM

Agreed... Maddox Rules!