PDA

View Full Version : Refuses to caucus but will vote for Ron in the general election if he gets the nomination

Ray
01-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Hey guys. Well the MN caucuses are coming up soon, so me and some buddies have been tabling for Youth for Ron Paul at the University of Minnesota the past few days. We've done extremely well so far (130+ names/numbers/emails sent to the Campaign), but there is still one type of "supporter" that I can't understand how to deal with.

http://e.static.memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/12/13126/13441455.jpg

There are people who say that they love Ron and will vote for him in the general election if he wins the nomination, but refuse to caucus either because they don't want to participate in partisan politics or because they just don't want to give away their contact information. I've gotten this response at least 10 times so far.

I've tried every way of logically trying to convince them:

"Don't let the establishment choose the candidates for you"
"By the time the general elections come around, it will be too late"
"MN has open caucuses so you don't have to feel bad"
"This is the ABSOLUTE most important thing you can do to make Ron the president"
etc

But unfortunately, none of these have worked. Do you have any recommendations on what I could say, or should I just label them as lost causes and move on to other people? I'm tempted to just outright say "You aren't a Ron Paul supporter if you don't caucus for him," but I'm scared to turn people off. Any opinions?

give them the MINN Campaign web page info. I understand about not wanting to be on lists, and you aren't really the campaign. Let them log in, tell them they can find training and fun events there.

AlexAmore
01-20-2012, 08:16 PM
"If you don't support Ron Paul in the caucus then you support this":

http://www.newbyzantines.net/byzcathculture/images/caskets_iraq.jpg

Too heavy? I don't know at this point.

mavtek
01-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Just tell them oh ok, well I for one can't wait to go and Caucus. I can't wait to walk in and with my other RP supporters stand up, Ron Paul's name in hand and cast my ballot. Walking by the smarky warmongering bastards who consider themselves Republicans. I can't wait to see the look on their faces when they see the number of young people that they already know are voting Ron Paul, I can't wait to see that look. Shock and Awe, Shock and Awe, some will sit there and shake their heads, some will have that deer in head lights look, and some will be feeling that warm feel of urine flowing down thier pant leg.

That's what I can't wait for.

darge
01-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Ask them if in their lifetime would they ever see a candidate like Ron Paul.

Blue
01-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Tell them they only seem like fair weather supporters and that they aren't really helping with the bigger picture, and that is to also spread the message Dr. Paul has been spreading for the past 30 years.

Brown Sapper
01-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Maybe tell them the real election is the primary, because if Ron Paul loses the primary then its over before it ever began. It's his duty as a supporter to make sure he has the option to chose him on election day.

emr1028
01-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Why not throw a pre or post caucus party? Free pizza, chips, maybe drinks (but I'm assuming you're catering to the under 21 crowd, so perhaps those drinks should be non-alcoholic.) Only caucus participants allowed. Find some sort of attraction to help them make up their mind... make it a party that they'd want to go to, is what I'm saying.

bunklocoempire
01-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Great answers.

“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul

They know better, but aren't going to help you (the group). They're really not part of the group.

They're Ron-a-bees.

Keep trying, sounds like you've done really well with 130. I'd call on those 130 to each bring a friend or two. They might know somebody with a conscience.

+ rep and thank you for your hard work!!! Go Gophers!!:)

EDIT: Welcome darge!!

sailingaway
01-20-2012, 08:53 PM
"If you don't support Ron Paul in the caucus then you support this":

http://www.newbyzantines.net/byzcathculture/images/caskets_iraq.jpg

Too heavy? I don't know at this point.

I think it would piss off more than it would attract.

sailingaway
01-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Ask them if in their lifetime would they ever see a candidate like Ron Paul.

+rep

and welcome to the forums

sailingaway
01-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Just tell them oh ok, well I for one can't wait to go and Caucus. I can't wait to walk in and with my other RP supporters stand up, Ron Paul's name in hand and cast my ballot. Walking by the smarky warmongering bastards who consider themselves Republicans. I can't wait to see the look on their faces when they see the number of young people that they already know are voting Ron Paul, I can't wait to see that look. Shock and Awe, Shock and Awe, some will sit there and shake their heads, some will have that deer in head lights look, and some will be feeling that warm feel of urine flowing down thier pant leg.

That's what I can't wait for.

my mod senses are telling me I should do something with this post.....

king_nothing_
01-20-2012, 09:07 PM
I've encountered multiple people who are like this on non-political internet forums. It's really annoying.

Drex
01-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Drug them and carry them to the caucus! A little extreme..

AlexAmore
01-20-2012, 09:23 PM
I think it would piss off more than it would attract.

Yeah I probably wouldn't lead with it lol. It's just what's the point if they know he's the one but won't caucus for him? They might need a shock their system.

Maybe: "Say no to [picture], say yes to Ron Paul at the caucus."

mavtek
01-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Sailingaway, I thought it was awesome! Maybe I'm just finally getting upset....

idiom
01-20-2012, 09:49 PM
my mod senses are telling me I should do something with this post.....

Sticky it?

Frontpage it?

surf
01-20-2012, 09:56 PM
ask them if they'd like to have a real choice this November? wouldn't it be great to see "independents" and democrats have to make a real decision?

tell them you can win Minnesota - i'm sure you can. suggest that this would send a message to St. Paul that you guys are serious about - (civil liberties, smaller gov't, etc.) even if we do not secure the nomination.

tom7126
01-20-2012, 10:10 PM
This one liner might work on some dudes:

"You gotta win the playoffs to make it to the Super Bowl"

Barrex
01-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Tell them: It is great way to meet hot chicks. :p
Tell them: That it is their duty. :mad:
Tell them: That will be personal benefit for them if Ron wins.
Tell them: Screw you guys I am going homeeee.
Tell them: FBI will come at your door for those songs you downloaded.
Dont make point about Ron. Make point that it is not about Ron Paul it is about them and their life and future. If things go bad that they need to look in the mirror when they search for the person to blame.

Legal disclaimer:
In highly unlikley event that anyone is persuaded with these tips I keep the right to brag as if I persuaded those people. If I dont like for some reason reaction to this I will contact SOPA enforcing agencies and complain that my ideas were copyright infringed and demand that "they" assasinate you or put you in Guantanamo till Ron Paul or/and Rand Paul dont present any threat to "status quo". Do you think that they wouldnt do it? wanna try your luck? well do you punk?

The Goat
01-20-2012, 10:19 PM
IDK, ask them how they got to know Ron Paul if they always let someone else do things for them. I live in a freaking primary state and have this same problem. Also have a few that arn't registered because they don't want to be served jury duty.

ZanZibar
01-20-2012, 11:44 PM
I've tried every way of logically trying to convince them:This person obviously doesn't operate on logic, they operate on emotion. You have to sell it to them on an emotional level, not a logical level.

Read a Reason / Cato piece called "The Myth Of The Rational Voter" and you'll see what I mean.

thoughtomator
01-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Tell them that if history holds up, they'll be 70 years old before they get another chance at this.