PDA

View Full Version : So did the Philly Rally meet/exceed expectations?

Sematary
11-11-2007, 08:38 AM
I know what my own thoughts are on the subject but what about you guys? Do you think we got what we were looking for from the rally?

steph3n
11-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Do you know the approx total? it has been all ovr the place from 1500 to 5500!

islather
11-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Looked like a success to me! Good Job:D

kylejack
11-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Good job, Bob! The lovefest on CNN was well worth it.

SwooshOU
11-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Are there are aerial views of the rally? I've seen the videos and some photos and it looks like it was awesome.

Sematary
11-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Do you know the approx total? it has been all ovr the place from 1500 to 5500!

I'd say in the 3-4000 range

Sematary
11-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Good job, Bob! The lovefest on CNN was well worth it.

I missed that. did anyone record it?

Chester Copperpot
11-11-2007, 08:53 AM
USA Daily pegs it at 4,000 people

0zzy
4,000 about.
I want to see a highly-produced video on this rally. I'd love it. Like a documentary.:)

Chester Copperpot
Btw Wasnt This The Philly Rally That Was Originally Not Going To Happen?!?

Kudos To The Philly Meetup Group.. You Know Where You Are

ACJohn
11-11-2007, 08:54 AM
It was a great event. Do you think many other candidates could get us out in those numbers on a Day as cold as this? My wife's hands turned blue, however her brother lives in philly so we ran there to warm-up.

freelance
11-11-2007, 08:54 AM
The fact is, Sematary you deserve a great bit attaboy for all you did! Thanks for heating the campaign up another notch so that more people can be introduced to Ron Paul. Rumor has it that without your tireless efforts, this would never have happened. Thanks for hanging in there.

silverhandorder
11-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Great success met all expectations!

walt
11-11-2007, 08:57 AM
yeah you overcame alot sematary - congrats.

tmg19103
11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Was it worth it? From a grassroots standpoint - making this happen when it looked like it was dead, and having it be an awesome rally that went off smoothly, yes it met and exceeded expectations.

From an exposure standpoint - on the front page of Philly's lergest paper the day before the rally with a very fair article on RP, made all the local newscasts and made some national newscasts, with CNN giving it a lot of time. Great success from an exposure standpoint.

From a monetary standpoint, due to the above, I think it paid for itself many times over in free press.

guntherg16
I am really glad I went. My wife and kids are also very happy that they made the trip.

Dlynne
Hi, Sementary! I think you and the Philly meetup did a wonderful job. Congratulations.

tmg19103
11-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Also, kudos to Sematary (Bob) and Philly MU-972 from the start to the end. If you are in Philly, MeetUp 972, with the picture of RP in a white doctors coat shocking the Consitution back to life on its main page, that is the true grassroots MeetUp and the one to join for newbies.

Craig_R
11-11-2007, 09:03 AM
it would've helped if it had'nt been moved and then moved back. I was going to come until it got moved then I just donated the money I would've used to get there by the time it was moved back.

tmg19103
11-11-2007, 09:06 AM
I think the weather and moving it back and forth hurt a little. However, it was still a blast and a success for the reasons I posted above. If it had not been moved and it was a warmer, sunny day, there probably would have been a few more thousand, but the press would have been the same.

lloydian
11-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Sematary thanks much for all your efforts Bravo!!

inibo
11-11-2007, 09:10 AM
I was there with a lady friend of mine and her two voting age children. We had a great time. I don't know what the numbers were, but it was most definitely more than the 1,500 CNN claimed. It appears to me the mall was packed. I would say 3,000 at least.

The organizers involved deserves our gratitude for pulling this off, especially with the missteps that occurred which were out of their hands. There were circumstances lead up to this that could have derailed the whole thing, but they persevered and made it happen.

This word is way overused, but in this case I heartily agree with my friend's daughter who summed it up as "Awesome!"

abstrusezincate
11-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm just glad the whole thing went off without a hitch. From the beginning, there were a number of problems involved that could and should have been avoided.

Full credit goes to the people in Philadelphia who managed to make it happen.

hellah10
11-11-2007, 12:16 PM
grats semetary! you worked your tail off

kylejack
11-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I'd also like to thank all who short-circuited the attempts by certain persons to sabotage the Independence Mall location. You know who you are, and you deserve our thanks.

ronpaulyourmom
11-11-2007, 12:21 PM
It met expectations. I was so happy to see a live feed of it on the front page of CNN.com, and local newscasts covering the event was also a plus.

The one thing I wish I could see is more footage taken from a elevated position, just to put in videos and stuff.

Don
11-11-2007, 12:24 PM
I want to add a kudos to Ron Paul PCC Special Assistant Neal Moore who basically moved to Philly for the week leading up to the event and did a great job shoring up all the little details to make this such a success. To Bob and all of the Philly MeetUp folks, you deserve a big pat on the back, too.

LibertyEagle
11-11-2007, 12:33 PM
The fact is, Sematary you deserve a great bit attaboy for all you did! Thanks for heating the campaign up another notch so that more people can be introduced to Ron Paul. Rumor has it that without your tireless efforts, this would never have happened. Thanks for hanging in there.

That's right. You're the man, Bob. Thank you.

This event would never have happened without you and several other grassroots members. Next time, I think we should keep it a grassroots effort all the way to the end.

LibertyEagle
11-11-2007, 12:34 PM
I want to add a kudos to Ron Paul PCC Special Assistant Neal Moore who basically moved to Philly for the week leading up to the event and did a great job shoring up all the little details to make this such a success. To Bob and all of the Philly MeetUp folks, you deserve a big pat on the back, too.

Is Neal the store guy?

Nefertiti
11-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Kudos to Bob! I would have to say I think it was an effective event in terms of the timing and the coverage it got. The form of it was very different from what we envisioned originally. It was a lot more focused on the veteran aspect and on official campaign people, but that still worked. I still think we should keep in the back of our minds Bob's original idea to do a rally in Washington, and aim for next summer if it looks like we have the convention locked up.

DeadheadForPaul
11-11-2007, 12:38 PM
From what Ive seen, it looked like a huge success and got covered on front page of the NY Times...sounds like the Mid-Atlantic brought the heat!

LibertyEagle
11-11-2007, 12:42 PM

This strikes me as odd, to tell you the truth Don. They deserve a whole lot more than merely a pat on the back. Please excuse me if I am misunderstanding and if I am, I will offer my apologies. But, this entire effort would have never happened without the grassroots. It was conceived by the grassroots, nurtured by the grassroots and advertised by the grassroots. It was the campaign who very nearly botched it, because of their inattention to the event and the fact that they apparently put off checking out the details until the last minute. Even though the campaign ended up moving back the event to the Liberty Mall, the event was far different than had been originally planned. What the campaign seemed to miss, was this was not intended to be a normal rally. It was intended to be more of a festival, with several speakers and live performances, so that we would be doing more than preaching to the choir. But instead, would attract others, who had not yet decided on a candidate.

Again, my apologies if I am misunderstanding. But, this is what my eyes have seen.

kylejack
11-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Don't put Don in a hard spot. We like having him here.

Nefertiti
11-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Liberty Eagle's words may be harsh but she is right. We had planned this event before Philly won the Meetup contest. It probably would have went off as a very successful grassroots rally only if they hadn't won. I was surprised to learn a week or so ago that Semetary wasn't even in Philly, and the idea to even have a rally in Philly was mine, and I'm in Chicago! I know Philly Meetup members worked hard on this and credit is due to them but it isn't what was intended and Philly's Meetup leader didn't even want to get involved when we first started planning it. Obviously, Philly won a rally and that would have happened, but the event that was supposed to happen, a national grassroots event, was hijacked into becoming a local Philly event by their winning the contest. It's the result of an unfortunately convergence of circumstances, but I consider it water under the bridge now, and I think we should focus on doing a real grassroots rally in DC next year as Bob first suggested.

westmich4paul
11-11-2007, 04:57 PM
From a campaigns standpoint I think it went well but I am not sure exactly what the expectations were. From a personal standpoint we almost didn't make it, our new rental van broke down at 2a.m. outside Pittsburgh and National car rentals said they could do nothing for us until 6 a.m. So there we sat at a pitstop station off the turnpike until 6 and it wasn't until 9 that they finally got a new van to us. We made a judgement call to push on instead of just turning around thinking there was no way we would make it in time. We were glad we did because we made it just in time about 1:30(thanks to our michigan style of nascar driving and little police radar!). The rally was awesome and it was my first time to Philly so seeing the sites afterwards was great too. On the way back I met a very nice lady who attended the rally at one of the service stations on the turnpike and we had a good convo for a bit. I should have got her # cause she was cute, My bad! If she reads the forums maybe she will see it though and respond oh well it is worth a try. She was from New Orleans, originally from Philly so if you read this maam respond back and if you are ever in the Grand Rapids area I would love to buy you dinner!:D

Hurricane Bruiser
11-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I'd say between 2,000 and 3,000. No aerial views that I know of.

Primbs
11-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I think we did better than expected because of the national press coverage.

Thank god we moved it from Valley Forge back to Independence Hall.

In the end everybody behaved, no grass was damaged, even the park police had a good time. Many of the locals were surprised the campaign would try to move a political rally to the military park of Valley Forge.

The locals were happy. Lots of Ron Paul supporters paraded all over Philadelphia afterwards spreading the message. So people who were shopping downtown got see roving bands of Ron Paul supporters.

Bryan
11-11-2007, 07:58 PM
The only thing that I don't see as a success is that I wasn't there. :p

Seriously- I would say the news coverage present obviously had major payback to justify the expense that was the big concern. The whole rally was obviously a major success and perfect timing given the Leno show and 11/5 (which changed everything). A one-two-three like this can have real impact.

I've been helping run a ~200 person annual event for a few years now, every year a half dozen things go completely foo-bar yet everyone still has a great time. I see the issues as water under the bridge and there is plenty of praise to go around without splitting hairs on ones personal choice of idioms or whatnot. I'm keeping focus on the prize- getting Dr. Paul into the White House and having the biggest Ron Paul rally ever in DC on inauguration day. I will be there for that- bank on it.