PDA

View Full Version : Evangelicals, Ron Paul and War

Lucille
01-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Evangelicals, Ron Paul and War (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/blog/2012/01/20/evangelicals-ron-paul-and-war/)

All this shows how evangelical leaders put support for wars ahead of their social values. Their support includes every new law giving Washington ever greater police powers over American citizens, such as the Patriot Act, Military Commissions Act and the recent National Defense Authorization Act which tear asunder much of the Bill of Rights. Most also supported torture of prisoners of war (with the notable exception of Chuck Colson of Prison Fellowship). All this comes with their “social values.”
[...]
They loved George Bush. They were major supporters of the two wars against Iraq and the occupation of Afghanistan. Fear and ignorance of the outside world joins together with a belief that God uniquely favors America. Mostly poorer Southerners they also have strong affinity for the American military and its industrial complex. In addition, author Chris Hedges has written about how they are joined by many Northern blue collar families hurting from new technology, globalization, and poor schools in seeing government as out to undermine their communities and social values. Their solace is to hope for Armageddon. I know many of their leaders from the Reagan era when they joined in supporting his anti-communism, indeed in making his electoral victories possible. While the older ones consider my views against empire and for peace in the Middle East anathema, I find many younger ones much more receptive. Pollster John Zogby also notes that there is a strong divide on issues between evangelicals over 40 and younger ones. Christian economist Gary North wrote some years ago that they numbered about 20 million. He told me also that younger evangelicals were not so enthused with end of the world dreams as their elders. If you think this view excessive see this video of Tom Delay hoping for the end times and others saying that the Anti-Christ is a leader who seeks peace in the Middle East.

This is the dark side to their religious world view. Their fantasy is often sung to uplifting gospel music of a soon-to-come Paradise. Its concomitant message (not openly discussed) is that God will then (brutally) kill the entire human race except for Christians (for many meaning “born again” Christians). The Left Behind book series dwells on how God will eviscerate, torture and kill all non-Christians. Why so many of them dwell on this is not clear. Perhaps it gives meaning to their lives. Or instilling fear is a way to keep them in line under their preachers’ domination. In any case they are cleverly used by the Israeli lobby, imperial neoconservatives and (more profitably) by the military industrial complex.

Neo-trots don't care about the issues socons care about like abortion, school choice, etc. They really are being used, and worse, led astray.

Herein lies their antipathy to Ron Paul, who in all other respects is a family values conservative. Indeed, most of them are Baptists who used to look upon Catholics with suspicion. Today they would prefer Senator Santorum or Newt Gingrich, both Catholics, to Ron Paul, who is Baptist. Santorum is no libertarian believer in limited government (he would use government to enforce his social values) and urges absolute support for Israel and the military industrial complex. These evangelicals don’t want peace because it would mean postponing Armageddon. That’s why their leaders oppose Ron Paul.

Kylie
01-20-2012, 01:21 PM
They really are being used, and worse, led astray.

Isn't that sad? They are supporting the destruction of other people in the world, all while pleading righteousness. I don't get it at all.

It's really no different than the "extremists" that practice islam. They're perverting their faith in order to destroy one another, all for something they don't even know exists. Makes no sense to sensible people.

furface
01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
It's really no different than the "extremists" that practice islam. They're perverting their faith in order to destroy one another, all for something they don't even know exists. Makes no sense to sensible people.

My view is that Muslim extremists are much more rational than Judeo-Christian evangelicals. Their political points of view fall into 2 different categories:

1. How to respond to aggression by America & Israel, i.e. they tend to support violence, terrorism and attacks on non-combatants. I personally don't feel that is a rational point of view, but it is more rational than aggression on people who have done absolutely nothing to you, which is what "evangelicals" are advocating.

2. Views on social behavior within their own communities and countries. They can have extremist views on the rights of women for instance. Whatever, it really doesn't concern me, and it is much less of a threat to the world community than so called "evangelicals" in America.

Anyway, I quote "evangelical" because they really aren't. Ron Paul was correct to bring up the "Golden Rule" in a recent debate. Unfortunately the subtle commentary was missed by most "evangelicals." Heaven forbid that Christians should actually start listening to what Jesus Himself said.

Lucille
01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
From the comments:

Hunsdon, on January 20th, 2012 at 1:42 pm Said:

If I’m remembering rightly, they booed Ron Paul last go-around as well, at the Family Values Coalition, when he pointed out that Jesus Christ was the Prince of Peace...

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac190/the_maryvale_joker/633806685662365650-JesusFacepalm.jpg

That about turned my stomach. There’s a sickness in American conservatism. A sickness.

Yes there is. It's called neoconservatism.

TomL
01-20-2012, 04:28 PM
They booed Ron Paul's mention of the "Golden Rule," and they cheered Newt Gingrich's defense of his infidelity. They obviously don't realize that the Bible says, "Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church." There is no evidence that Newt ever loved any of his wives as Christ loved the church.

I am convinced now more than ever that Christianity in America is as close to being dead without being dead. I do believe God does have a remnant, but very few in America.

Sola_Fide
01-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Great article. That's it in a nutshell. These dispensationalist Arminians would rather support the Catholics in the race rather than the pro-life Baptist doctor preaching peace.

Lucille
01-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Great article. That's it in a nutshell. These dispensationalist Arminians would rather support the Catholics in the race rather than the pro-life Baptist doctor preaching peace.

Saw this on Vox Popoli: Messing With Dispensationalists (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5MDqUAfPcI)

"...I thought it best to go with the option that doesn't call my Lord a moron."

I mean, most people thought it was kind of a watermark when your Tea Party gang booed the golden rule (http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/21/opinion/carville-republican-disaster/index.html). ... They just aren't buying any of that do-unto-others garbage.