PDA

View Full Version : Congressman withdraws SOPA anti-piracy bill

Created4
01-20-2012, 11:15 AM
SAN ANTONIO — The Texas Congressman whose proposed Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) prompted dozens of websites to go dark or run protest messages this week said Friday he is pulling the measure from consideration "until there is wider agreement on a solution."
"I have heard from the critics and I take seriously their concerns regarding proposed legislation to address the problem of online piracy," U.S. Rep. Lamar Smith, a Republican from Texas and the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, told Reuters in a telephone interview.
"It is clear that we need to revisit the approach on how best to address the problem of foreign thieves that steal and sell American inventions and products," Smith said.
----------------
Ron Paul, the other Texas Congressman, had the best response to this at last night's debate. The crowd loved it...

CaptUSA
01-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Short term victory... They will be back.

Still it's a good day for liberty!

seapilot
01-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Did anyone else catch Mr. King saying that Time/Warner owner of CNN supports SOPA, before asking the question to the candidates? Why would they want to censor the internet? Its basically a war between the conventional controlled media and the free internet. That was one battle, they will be back for more as their power/control depends on it.

Lucille
01-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Did anyone else catch Mr. King saying that Time/Warner owner of CNN supports SOPA, before asking the question to the candidates? Why would they want to censor the internet? Its basically a war between the conventional controlled media and the free internet. That was one battle, they will be back for more as their power/control depends on it.

I loved how the audience booed T/W for it.

It absolutely will be back, and CONgress will pass it no matter what the American people want, as usual.

The call has gone up for massive protests and a campaign of calls and letters to elected representatives to stop SOPA and its Senate-equivalent, the PROTECT IP Act. However, after similar outcries of a vast majority against the TARP legislation of 2009, and the passage of ObamaCare, [the food "safety" bill], we must not be surprised if such protests fail to stop this incredibly dangerous power grab.

After all, the concept of “representation” is so 18th century (http://blog.independent.org/2012/01/18/we-dont-need-no-stinkin-evidence/).

libertygrl
01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WJIuYgIvKsc

JordanL
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Did anyone else catch Mr. King saying that Time/Warner owner of CNN supports SOPA, before asking the question to the candidates?

That was a disclosure to the viewers to expose a possible conflict of interest in asking the question.

donnay
01-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I loved how the audience booed T/W for it.

It absolutely will be back, and CONgress will pass it no matter what the American people want, as usual.

I agree. Just like the bailouts, the people were totally against it, jammed phone lines in DC and they pushed it through regardless of what the citizens wanted.

cindy25
01-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Short term victory... They will be back.

Still it's a good day for liberty!

Jan 18th was a great day for Liberty; Jan 19th was a great day for infamy (Rememner Megaupload)

NYgs23
01-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I will only be a matter of time before something like this is back. I wonder if Issa's "OPEN Act" alternative is a decent bill. If it has no devils in the details, maybe getting it passed would nix the argument that they need to save Fox and Universal's copyright monopoly from the "thieves."

NYgs23
01-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Where is the link to this? I can't find it anywhere. Is it accurate?

ghengis86
01-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Dec 24th, 2012: Emergency national defense spending bill passes (renamed SOPA attached without any mention or debate)

revgen
01-20-2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WJIuYgIvKsc

CBS/Viacom also owns Westinghouse. A defense contractor who is heavily involved in the military industrial complex. And the same outfit that gave Ron Paul only 89 seconds in the CBS debate.

http://www.dailypaul.com/187217/the-real-reason-ron-paul-only-got-89-secs

thoughtomator
01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
The rule of law has been a mockery for so long that even the people on the bottom of the pile have learned to disrespect it.

Brian4Liberty
01-20-2012, 12:52 PM
The rule of law has been a mockery for so long that even the people on the bottom of the pile have learned to disrespect it.

There will always be a certain percentage of the population that believes that laws are for other people. Unfortunately for us, those same people are usually also drawn to power.

gb13
01-20-2012, 01:02 PM
So, what happens to PIPA now?

UtahApocalypse
01-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Dec 24th, 2012: Emergency national defense spending bill passes (renamed SOPA attached without any mention or debate)yep, it will be slipped into another bill for sure

TCE
01-20-2012, 04:09 PM
It won't come up again, but as everyone else has said, it will be slipped into a "must pass" bill and become law. It's how things are done in the 21st century.