PDA

View Full Version : Colbert on Morning Joe: endorses (in all seriousness) Ron Paul

eqcitizen
01-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Did anyone check out morning joe this morning? A friend just called me up and told me that in all seriousness, after cracking jokes about every other candidate out there they asked who he would really want as the nominee. He responded "Ron Paul" because he is consistent.

Did anyone else catch this, and seeing as though i didnt see but was only told it by a friend, hopefully someone can get a youtube or corroborate my story?

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43hlXKg5FOo

ronpaulfollower999
01-20-2012, 08:03 AM
I definitely want a Tube of that. Not that I don't believe the OP, but I need to see it to believe it!

freejack
01-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Then he should stop telling SC to vote for Cain and vote for Paul instead.

eqcitizen
01-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Like i said, i was just told this by a friend...hopefully it is true.

But I think Colbert says cain because it is funny and it goes along with his whole schtick. It seems like he rarely brakes character and if he did in this case it may be pretty cool to see.

PastaRocket848
01-20-2012, 08:14 AM
It's weird when Colbert breaks character. He speaks completely differently. It's really a testament to how good he is at what he does that it's "weird" to see him being himself. He's also über-smart, which becomes more obvious when he isn't acting. I've only seen a couple videos of him "as himself", they're hard to find, and he's only done 1 serious interview that I know of.

If he really did that it'd be great.

ronpaulfollower999
01-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Here's the video:

http://www.nationalconfidential.com/20120120/video-stephen-colberts-ron-paul-joke-rocks-morning-joe/

Constitutional Paulicy
01-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Colbert was on Morning Joe this morning.?

bronc_fan23
01-20-2012, 08:18 AM
Colbert wasn't on Morning Joe this morning.

Look at the post above you.

rblgenius
01-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Wow I would like to see the full video though but it sounds like he broke character with the endorsement

Constitutional Paulicy
01-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Look at the post above you.

Cool thanks.

eqcitizen
01-20-2012, 08:20 AM
He really did break character at the end there and he seems genuinely honest. Thanks for the video

Tyler_Durden
Here's the video:

http://www.nationalconfidential.com/20120120/video-stephen-colberts-ron-paul-joke-rocks-morning-joe/

They spun this story like it was a joke. He looked sincere to me!!!

Chieppa1
Um, what's with the video title? "Ron Paul joke"?

Rincewind
Good stuff.

Also that's a fantastic joke.

Dsylexic
01-20-2012, 08:21 AM
please summarize for me.i am at work and cant access video

phx420
01-20-2012, 08:22 AM
this needs to go viral, now

LawnWake
01-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Wow, he totally did break character there. That was great.

PastaRocket848
01-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Not exactly an "endorsement" by any means. Still cool though.

eric_cartman
01-20-2012, 08:24 AM
here's the tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43hlXKg5FOo

bubbleboy
01-20-2012, 08:24 AM
I cant believe this. amazing. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it.

Nate-ForLiberty
01-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Stephen Colbert just endorsed Ron Paul for realsies.

PaulConventionWV

I dunno, but his endorsement was no joke. Maybe he'll get Colbert's 5% now!

speciallyblend

he told a joke before the endorsement, watch the video.

RPsupporterAtHeart
01-20-2012, 08:26 AM
That was a completely honest answer from Colbert. When you watch him enough it's very easy to see when he jumps out of character. It wasn't an endorsement, but when asked to choose from the 4 on stage honestly he didn't hesitate to shove it down their throats.

speciallyblend
I dunno, but his endorsement was no joke. Maybe he'll get Colbert's 5% now!

he told a joke before the endorsement.

ItsTime
Then he must tell people to vote for Ron not Cain! This could actually put us into second place.

speciallyblend
01-20-2012, 08:27 AM
They spun this story like it was a joke. He looked sincere to me!!!

he told a joke before the real endorsement.

The One
01-20-2012, 08:34 AM
I love Colbert, but I don't see what was particularly funny about that specific joke.

jkr
01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
thank you steve!

otherone
01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
The joke was a reference to the fairytale "Rumpelstiltskin" (sp?)....You's get his gold if you discovered his name....meaning, Paul's name is ignored (debates/media)...some of the talking heads didn't get it. Colbert's 'endorsement' was about Paul's character, not his policies.

Diurdi
01-20-2012, 08:36 AM
he told a joke before the endorsement. Cracked me up too :D

The One
01-20-2012, 08:38 AM
The joke was a reference to the fairytale "Rumpelstiltskin" (sp?)....You's get his gold if you discovered his name....meaning, Paul's name is ignored (debates/media)...some of the talking heads didn't get it. Colbert's 'endorsement' was about Paul's character, not his policies.

That helps. Thanks. I guess since you're the other me, you know the stuff I don't know. You must know a lot.

freejack
01-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Ron-Paul-stiltskin

I get it now.

Liberty74
01-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Then he must tell people to vote for Ron not Cain! This could actually put us into second place.

Or at least guarantee a strong third where the anti tea party Theocrat drops out.

mavtek
01-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Yep I caught that too, it was so much as a joke on Ron Paul, more a slight to the media.

Carole
01-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Rest of the video was just cracking jokes and totally did not include anything about Ron Paul. You see the only good part in that short video. :D

Tyler_Durden
01-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Stephen Colbert just endorsed Ron Paul for realsies.

We need to cut, toob, and viralize that endorsement portion!!

FreeTraveler
01-20-2012, 08:57 AM
That was not an endorsement. He gave Ron props for his consistency, that's all. He never said anything about any of the issues, and he never said "I endorse."

People see what they want to see, I guess. Spreading it around as an "endorsement" is gonna make people look silly, IMO.

Yoddle
01-20-2012, 09:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43hlXKg5FOo&feature=player_embedded

Video ^^^

slamhead
01-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Sounds like and endorsement to me..... Twitter it.

georgiaboy
01-20-2012, 09:03 AM
not an actual endorsement, but when backed into a corner about which of the four on stage he would 'pick', he chose Ron.

I'll take it.

Rincewind
01-20-2012, 09:05 AM
It's not an endorsement. It's nice to see, however, and it can only help I think.

AdamT
01-20-2012, 09:06 AM
"Do you know if you guess Ron Paul's name he has to teach you to spin hay into gold" LOL

Tyler_Durden
01-20-2012, 09:08 AM
not an actual endorsement, but when backed into a corner about which of the four on stage he would 'pick', he chose Ron.

I'll take it.

Exactly, they asked in all seriousness. He played with the answer and then gave an all-serious answer on who he likes.

thetruthhurtsthefed
01-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Moderator must put this on front page!

papitosabe
01-20-2012, 09:12 AM
I love Colbert, but I don't see what was particularly funny about that specific joke.

me either... Joe was the only one really laughing...the others were doing the fake laugh one does when something isn't really funny but you laugh anyways...I'll admit, I've done that b4

speciallyblend
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Moderator must put this on front page!

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

Rincewind
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
me either... Joe was the only one really laughing...the others were doing the fake laugh one does when something isn't really funny but you laugh anyways...I'll admit, I've done that b4

Well, I think Joe's actually read a book before.

I thought it was hilarious.

Matthew Zak
01-20-2012, 09:20 AM
The joke about Ron Paul was actually funny and they were all in stitches. I laughed as well. At the end, he said positive things about Ron Paul that were very genuine.

wide awake
01-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Somewhat off-topic but here is the duet he did with James Taylor last night (I thought it was well done and also hysterical in how he compares himself to Cain):

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/406411/january-19-2012/james-taylor---stephen-colbert----carolina-in-my-mind-

voytechs
01-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Spin straw into gold.

That is right on the money, insightful truth told as humor. RP wants to replace something worthless with gold.

Jeremy Tyler
01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Hahaha that wad great. But I'm unsure if people will say he is being serious or not if they were to see it.

Fredom101
01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Toobz or it ditn't happen...

sailingaway
01-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Here's the video:

+rep

Pauls' Revere
01-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Dear media,

Can we have a Ron Paul surge now?

Maltheus
01-20-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm shocked. Thought Colbert pretty much hated us. Like in the way the MSM does.

Dianne
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
That made my day !!! I didn't get the joke at the beginning, that cracked everyone up. But I loved the finish !

Matthew5
01-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm shocked. Thought Colbert pretty much hated us. Like in the way the MSM does.

Colbert and Stewart have always respected Dr. Paul. The Colbert Report is just a character. It's extremely rare for Colbert to ever break character (he's almost like a modern day Andy Kaufman) and so although he skewers politics quite abit, he seemed sincere when he broke character at the end.

Matthew5
01-20-2012, 09:51 AM
The joke was awesome! It was kinda deep once you think about it, but, even on the surface, it was hilarious!

Highstreet
01-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Politico article doesn't even mention Paul...give me hell:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0112/71719.html

Pauls' Revere
01-20-2012, 09:55 AM
LOL if you guess his name he has to teach you to spin hay into GOLD !!!

So true, how many people dont realize how Ron Paul can build wealth for this nation.

Darin
01-20-2012, 09:57 AM
It's on Reddit if anyone wants to upvote (or downvote) it. (http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/oouwe/colbert_likes_ron_paul_o/)

BUT, I disagree with everyone. I think the reddit title is better. I don't think it's an endorsement. I think he, like Stewart, respect Paul... but very much disagree with him. They'll be on Obama mode in the next couple months.

The Super Pac thing makes it pretty clear that they're very much on the opposite side of the issue.

The gold joke, though, was brilliant.

- Darin

NoPants
01-20-2012, 09:58 AM

It was a reference to Rumpelstiltskin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpelstiltskin).

purepaloma
01-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Colbert is a smart man.

Maltheus
01-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Colbert and Stewart have always respected Dr. Paul. The Colbert Report is just a character. It's extremely rare for Colbert to ever break character (he's almost like a modern day Andy Kaufman) and so although he skewers politics quite abit, he seemed sincere when he broke character at the end.

I never doubted Stewart's respect, but character aside, I always felt a level of true hostility coming from Colbert (aside from maybe that '08 or '07 interview). Guess I was wrong. Or perhaps it's just that Colbert is so much more liberal that it was just the hostility to his views I was sensing, whereas Stewart is capable of occasionally seeing the wisdom of the other side.

bbwarfield
01-20-2012, 10:07 AM
The joke was a reference to the fairytale "Rumpelstiltskin" (sp?)....You's get his gold if you discovered his name....meaning, Paul's name is ignored (debates/media)...some of the talking heads didn't get it. Colbert's 'endorsement' was about Paul's character, not his policies. thank you... I got it and was waiting for the media and the rest of us too.... It was a pro Ron joke

PaulStandsTall
01-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Lol clearly the other people there did not understand the joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0qm0KUPeD8

Erazmus
01-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Wow.

randomname
01-20-2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNvJZCFpdp8

blazeKing
01-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Ron-Paul-stiltskin

I get it now.

Haha nice...Ronpaulstiltskin will teach you how to spin straw into gold if you guess his name

That's actually a really clever joke

Austin
01-20-2012, 10:17 AM
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/ooyky/video_stephen_colberts_ron_paul_joke_rocks/

Liberty4life
01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Ron Paul/Stephen Colbert ? #paulcolbert

agorist ninja
01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Change the thread title. Was not an endorsement.

Some people...

ElizabethR
01-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I KNEW IT. I FREAKING KNEW IT!! Go look at some of my previous posts, where I've said that Colbert and Stewart are not going to use their superpac against Ron because they freaking like him.

This is probably the first prediction I made about this presidential race. This just made my YEAR!!!!

Pauls' Revere
01-20-2012, 10:28 AM
The joke about Ron Paul was actually funny and they were all in stitches. I laughed as well. At the end, he said positive things about Ron Paul that were very genuine.

Yes, and the subtle message is that once you understand Ron Paul you understand how we can build wealth in this country.

Revolution9
01-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Wikipedia entry on plot...

"In order to make himself appear more important, a miller lied to a king, telling him that his daughter could spin straw into gold. The king called for the girl, shut her in a tower room with straw and a spinning wheel, and demanded that she spin the straw into gold by morning, for three nights, or be executed (other versions have the king threatening to lock her up in a dungeon forever). She had given up all hope, when an impish creature appeared in the room and spun straw into gold for her in return for her necklace, then again the following night for her ring. On the third night, when she had nothing with which to reward him, the strange creature spun straw into gold for a promise that the girl's first-born child would become his.
The king was so impressed that he married the miller's daughter, but when their first child was born, the imp returned to claim his payment: "Now give me what you promised". The queen was frightened and offered him all the wealth she had if she could keep the child. The imp refused but finally agreed to give up his claim to the child if the queen could guess his name in three days. At first she failed, but before the final night, her messenger discovered the imp's remote mountain cottage and, unseen, overheard the imp hopping about his fire and singing. While there are many variations in this song, the 1886 translation by Lucy Crane reads:
Today do I bake, to-morrow I brew,The day after that the queen's child comes in;And oh! I am glad that nobody knewThat the name I am called is Rumpelstiltskin!"[1]"

So it was clever in that it called them out on not "knowing his name". And that if they did he would teach them how to spin fiat "hay" into real "gold"..i.e..if he became President there would be a gold standard of sound money but they have to speak his name...The first born child is the nomination and subsequent Presidency, so within the joke is subtle sarcasm, a strike at the panelists, an evocative image of RP as an imp who can turn hay into gold as well as their narrative into pwnage and is a major cognitive loaded truth bomb. The laughs were the results of that cognitive dissonance taking many new tangents in their constructs and they couldn't contain the neurological overload. Great stuff.

Rev9

1000-points-of-fright
01-20-2012, 10:57 AM
So it was clever in that it called them out on not "knowing his name". And that if they did he would teach them how to spin fiat "hay" into real "gold"..i.e..if he became President there would be a gold standard of sound money but they have to speak his name...The first born child is the nomination and subsequent Presidency, so within the joke is subtle sarcasm, a strike at the panelists, an evocative image of RP as an imp who can turn hay into gold as well as their narrative into pwnage and is a major cognitive loaded truth bomb. The laughs were the results of that cognitive dissonance taking many new tangents in their constructs and they couldn't contain the neurological overload. Great stuff.

The total amount of thought that went into that joke was probably "Ron Paul is a goofy little guy who likes gold."

Liberty4life
01-20-2012, 11:02 AM

Rev9

papitosabe
01-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Rev9

boy, am i dumb..

so watching it again, Joe was the only one that got it..the others just laughed cuz they saw Joe laughing but did not get it either..so I don't feel so bad...:)

randomname
01-20-2012, 11:22 AM
It was a reference to Rumpelstiltskin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpelstiltskin).

heh

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7dHoulkOs_A/TNfIcT26vTI/AAAAAAAAAAo/MKcVxNXdnbY/s1600/6007677_rumpelstiltskin.jpg

Brian4Liberty
01-20-2012, 11:27 AM
The joke was awesome! It was kinda deep once you think about it, but, even on the surface, it was hilarious!

It was a good joke, but you need implicit knowledge of the two things he was indirectly referencing, Rumpelstiltskin and the Gold standard. Some of those talking heads probably didn't get either of those aspects of the joke.

Did anyone notice how the air was sucked out of that room when he said he would choose Ron Paul? It's like all of them froze. There's quite a powerful "conditioning" effect going on right now.

doronster195
01-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Those of you saying he was joking about it and it wasn't an endorsement -- ok, it wasn't an OFFICIAL endorsement. But it seemed to be an endorsement of his consistency. Yes, he made a joke before -- but that's what he's there for. To make jokes. It would have been weird if he didn't make a joke and then praise Paul...

Eleutheros
01-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Wikipedia entry on plot...

"In order to make himself appear more important, a miller lied to a king, telling him that his daughter could spin straw into gold. The king called for the girl, shut her in a tower room with straw and a spinning wheel, and demanded that she spin the straw into gold by morning, for three nights, or be executed (other versions have the king threatening to lock her up in a dungeon forever). She had given up all hope, when an impish creature appeared in the room and spun straw into gold for her in return for her necklace, then again the following night for her ring. On the third night, when she had nothing with which to reward him, the strange creature spun straw into gold for a promise that the girl's first-born child would become his.
The king was so impressed that he married the miller's daughter, but when their first child was born, the imp returned to claim his payment: "Now give me what you promised". The queen was frightened and offered him all the wealth she had if she could keep the child. The imp refused but finally agreed to give up his claim to the child if the queen could guess his name in three days. At first she failed, but before the final night, her messenger discovered the imp's remote mountain cottage and, unseen, overheard the imp hopping about his fire and singing. While there are many variations in this song, the 1886 translation by Lucy Crane reads:
Today do I bake, to-morrow I brew,The day after that the queen's child comes in;And oh! I am glad that nobody knewThat the name I am called is Rumpelstiltskin!"[1]"

Rev9

+rep

You went to the bottom of the ocean on that one (read: that was deep).

Okie RP fan
01-20-2012, 11:33 AM
South Carolina Republicans do not watch MSNBC.

And people do not take Colbert seriously.

EBounding
01-20-2012, 11:37 AM
There's a difference between respect and an endorsement. Like Stewart, Colbert may genuinely respect Paul, but he's going to vote for Obama.

tommyzDad
01-20-2012, 11:38 AM
+rep

You went to the bottom of the ocean on that one (read: that was deep).

I feel like I just tuned in to an old episode of Ghost in the Shell.

surf
01-20-2012, 11:40 AM
South Carolina Republicans do not watch MSNBC.

And people do not take Colbert seriously.
c'mon man. the young folk watch Colbert, democrats do, i do. youtube is good, and this is really good.

he's gone after Parry (with an A), Gingrich, Romney... bet they're just waiting to release a big healthy batch of Santorum when it's needed.

Bruno
01-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Brilliant slam at the media. They along with all the other MSM shows gave Ron Paul yet another blackout after a great debate night, and he calls them out on it and makes them laugh at the joke that was on them.

flynn
01-20-2012, 11:57 AM
I think Colbert just gave Ron Paul the nod.

http://www.spikednation.com/evideo/colbert-serious-moment-he-likes-ron-paul

JordanL
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
I've never seen Colbert break character before... that was almost creepy.

slamhead
01-20-2012, 12:22 PM
There's a difference between respect and an endorsement. Like Stewart, Colbert may genuinely respect Paul, but he's going to vote for Obama.

I think you are wrong. Colbert is conservative. I read experts from his book when my daughter was reading it. He has very conservative views.

rprprs
01-20-2012, 12:25 PM
It's on Reddit if anyone wants to upvote (or downvote) it. (http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/oouwe/colbert_likes_ron_paul_o/)

BUT, I disagree with everyone. I think the reddit title is better. I don't think it's an endorsement. I think he, like Stewart, respect Paul... but very much disagree with him. They'll be on Obama mode in the next couple months.

The Super Pac thing makes it pretty clear that they're very much on the opposite side of the issue.

The gold joke, though, was brilliant.

- Darin
Since we're all just giving our opinions, here's mine. At my own peril, I pretty much take the opposite view of the above.

Initially, I didn't understand the joke and I still don't really get it. Despite the clarification as a reference to the Rumpelstiltskin character and even when associated with Ron's connection to the gold standard, I found it to be a bit too 'off-the-wall' and too obscure to be really funny.
I think to be truly funny, the premise has to be clear, and I think any clarity here existed largely inside Colbert's head. Despite the laughs from Joe and others, I think the basis for the "joke" was lost on most, myself included. In essence, it lacked context. I'm not sure I know where he was coming from, or where he was going with it. Had it been preceded by some discussion of the media ignoring Ron, perhaps it might have had resonated better. As it stood, it was, at best, an arcane inside joke. I just think having to analyze it, interpret it, or provide conjecture on its origins or intent, doesn't say much about its innate comedic value.
(Yes, I know, overthought and at odds with the way this thread is headed, but, still, just my .02.) ;)

As to his later out-of-character "endorsement", I think it was pretty much just that. Not an endorsement for the presidency (Obama has that), but for the Republican nomination. He gave a serious answer to a very specific question as to who he would favor or support out of the four men on stage. And he didn't say "I like Paul's consistency, but...(and then choose someone else)". He clarified why he named Paul, and it was a definitive and reasonable (if limited) assessment. No, he would not agree with much of Ron's domestic policy positions, but he would not do so for any of the other GOP contenders either. For the GOP field, it was an endorsement.

Barrex
01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Sorry people but get back on the ground. I remember people saying "Mark my words Ron will win Iowa." How that went? Today polls (if done by professionals) are really really accurate. Third place is best we can do if we consider the reality of MSM and GOP establishment....

VBRonPaulFan
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
time for RP to get the colbert bump!

RonPaul101.com
01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
At least Colbert shows that Ron Paul should be considered honorable for his consistancy. You would think voters would find that highly appealing and important since no one candidate is consistant.

ssjevot
01-20-2012, 01:21 PM
I think you are wrong. Colbert is conservative. I read experts from his book when my daughter was reading it. He has very conservative views.

He pretends to be conservative it is part of his act. Colbert the actual person is progressive.

thoughtomator
01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Colbert is a conservative libertarian, a counterpoint to his friend Stewart being a liberal libertarian. Colbert's on-stage persona is a parody of a neo-con.

Johnny Appleseed
01-20-2012, 01:25 PM
and of course the rest of the puppets on stage just glaze right over it and on to next subject...they have a Ron Paul default mode built into their tiny puppet brains

Bruno
01-20-2012, 01:29 PM
and of course the rest of the puppets on stage just glaze right over it and on to next subject...they have a Ron Paul default mode built into their tiny puppet brains

Exactly. When he comes out of character and makes a statement like that about a supposed "fringe" candidate, you would think there would be a single followup question. Instead, they quickly move on lest they lose their jobs.

Mckarnin
01-20-2012, 01:31 PM
I think he was serious too. The response of the others on the show, no laughter, no joking.

kylejack
01-20-2012, 01:41 PM
I thought he was going to turn it into a joke, but he didn't. He said a similar thing before about Bush, something like,

"This is a guy who believes the same thing on Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened on Tuesday."

unknown
01-20-2012, 01:41 PM
He seemed serious to me.

affa
01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
The total amount of thought that went into that joke was probably "Ron Paul is a goofy little guy who likes gold."

absolutely incorrect. Colbert -definitely- knew the truth behind his joke. Rev9's interpretation is spot on.

Colbert skewered the media, and embraced Ron Paul in that joke... but it's hidden deep. That is extremely high level memetics -- an idea is a virus, and one of the best ways to spread an idea is to create a wrapper for it so that it gets past the initial filters/defenses of opponents to that idea (like a virus does).

That the joke was so obscure only added to it - it created a cognitive dissonance in almost every listener. This opens up our minds to new thoughts. The followup laughter was mostly faked, as people that didn't get the joke (not having the proper knowledge of myth and fables) struggled to understand it. But even for them, turning 'hay into gold' is as clear a concept as any.

Colbert knew exactly what that joke meant. Beautiful.

affa
01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
the guy to the very left has the weirdest look on his face after Colbert supports Ron Paul. He's completely flummoxed.

Brian4Liberty
01-20-2012, 01:59 PM
As it stood, it was, at best, an arcane inside joke.

At Thanksgiving dinner, there were four of us at the large table who were "scientists" or engineers. One guy was talking about temperature at a job site in Alaska, and said they were using Kelvin instead of Fahrenheit. I said "the thing I really hate about Kelvin is that when it reaches zero, I can never start my car."

Dianne
01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Let's hope Colbert endorses him then :)) .

Mini-Me
01-20-2012, 02:07 PM
He pretends to be conservative it is part of his act. Colbert the actual person is progressive.

This is my understanding as well. It's hard to get a precise read on the real Colbert, since he's almost always in character (playing a Bill O'Reilly type), but I'd place his views around the progressive ballpark too. I'm not sure if he's squarely in that camp, or if he's a civil libertarian with progressive leanings, or what. This isn't the first time he has shown legitimate respect for Ron, though...his whole schtick is making fun of neocon pundits, so he can easily see how much Ron differs from the pack. I have trouble truly warming up to him, since the hard exterior of his character only lets a little light shine through, but there's no question he's a brilliant satirist.

Jamesiv1
01-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Exactly. When he comes out of character and makes a statement like that about a supposed "fringe" candidate, you would think there would be a single followup question. Instead, they quickly move on lest they lose their jobs.

Would have been interesting if they had spent a few minutes talking about why Colbert's comment was so clever. Rumplestiltskin, an impish little devil who knows how to turn something worthless (straw) into something precious (gold) and will do it for you, too - in exchange for your first-born child.

DerailingDaTrain
01-20-2012, 05:06 PM
For those who don't think that Colbert is being serious and that he is actually out of character you need to search "Colbert out of character" on YouTube and watch an interview he did on The View about his mother and one on MSNBC about his show where he is completely out of character. During both interviews his tone of voice and demeanor is the same as when he said he would vote for Ron and he even repeated to the puppets around him that he was serious and gave them a reason on why. I really don't think it is just what he said though (who supports a president without liking their policies? just because the guy is consistent doesn't mean he says things I like). So in the end I feel that Colbert was for a very brief time out of character and told these idiots how he really feels (He's friends with Jon Stewart who although he is what you guys would call progressive is pissed at Obama for lying). If you've ever seen either of their shows you would know that they make jokes about the type of policies Gingrich, Santorum, and Romney have and constantly rip them on it.

PS One of my favorite recurring jokes on The Colbert Report is when he wants to bring Karl Rove on for an interview and Karl Rove refused so he instead uses the closest thing to him "a ham loaf wearing glasses" and refers to him as Ham Rove. lol

Ray
01-21-2012, 11:47 AM
He broke character on show once, when he was saying goodbye to Steve Jobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQCDV8eynMA