PDA

View Full Version : My evening at an "Arab American" summit in NC

coffeewithchess
11-11-2007, 02:22 AM
This evening I had the opportunity to attend an "Arab American" summit in Cary, NC. The event was advertised by a Ron Paul supporter on our local Meetups. This supporter was invited to speak to the group and represent Ron Paul. He mentioned how Ron Paul wants to get rid of the (non)Patriot Act and how Dr. Paul voted against the Iraq conflict. I was there and video taped(yes, it will be YouTubed) and they even provided us a table to set up some Ron Paul material to pass out. It was a great evening. We had people come over after the event and ask "How can I help and get involved". We sold "Ron Paul for President" yard signs, passed out DVDs, bumper stickers and fliers.
We were received very well by the people and I'm glad I didn't sit at home on a Saturday night staring at this forum!
Spread his name every day! BE ACTIVE away from the computer!

Man from La Mancha
11-11-2007, 02:24 AM
Super!!

Cowlesy
11-11-2007, 02:24 AM
F-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c!

derdy
11-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Excellent work!

Glad to hear it went so well! (but when doesn't it?) :D

hard@work
11-11-2007, 03:03 AM
You know I've read that the reason we have the most moderate Muslim community in America is because they are treated better in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world. They have more opportunity and more equality.

Something to meditate on.

robatsu
11-11-2007, 03:10 AM
You know I've read that the reason we have the most moderate Muslim community in America is because they are treated better in the U.S. than anywhere else in the world. They have more opportunity and more equality.

Something to meditate on.

That may be true, but it also may be due to the fact that we have much greater geographic separation from source countries & have tended to allow in smaller populations that are more educated and affluent. The European nations have tended towards wholesale importation of lower skilled/lower educated marginalized workers for low paid jobs a generation or two ago, sort of like what is going on with illegal immigration from Latin America here now.

That's a whole different point upon which to meditate.

hard@work
11-11-2007, 03:50 AM
That may be true, but it also may be due to the fact that we have much greater geographic separation from source countries & have tended to allow in smaller populations that are more educated and affluent. The European nations have tended towards wholesale importation of lower skilled/lower educated marginalized workers for low paid jobs a generation or two ago, sort of like what is going on with illegal immigration from Latin America here now.

That's a whole different point upon which to meditate.

Yup. Also we have a lot of Christian and other religious migrants trying to escape from those areas. I've known a few.

Nefertiti
11-11-2007, 05:37 AM
It's the economic and education aspect. Arab Americans are basically the most educated group in the US, and economically, they are better off than they average American. In fact, Egyptian Americans have a higher percentage of people with bachelor's degrees or higher than any other ethnic group in the US, about 2/3. In fact, it's over double the percentage of average Americans. It probably has a lot to do with immigration laws and habits. Even though in some Arab countries the education level on average is very low, its nearly impossible for anyone with less than a high school diploma to get a visa to come here. Those with only a high school diploma can get lottery visas. There are a number who come here on tourist visas and stay but those also tend to be educated, or else the American embassy refuses to give them a visa. Even when it comes to marriage visas, of which I know a lot of people, if they marry the American in advance, they mostly tend to have a college degree at minimum. Otherwise, if they come here on some sort of student or work visa, they also are educated. Those that go to Europe on average represent a totally different demographic.

ChooseLiberty
11-11-2007, 06:16 AM
I don't see how an Arab-American can vote for anyone but Ron Paul.

Any other candidate will lead to more profiling and persecution.