PDA

View Full Version : Hello from GA!

Suzanimal
01-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Hi, my name is Suzanne, I'm 41 and homeschool my 2 sons. I've been a Libertarian my whole life (my parents are). I turned 18 just in time to vote for
Dr. Paul in 1988, wrote him in 08 and (third times a charm) can't wait to see him win in 12!

BamaAla
01-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Glad you're here! What part of Georgia are you from?

Paul Fan
01-19-2012, 02:53 AM
Welcome to the forums!

How old/what grade level are your sons? Do you use a curriculum or just go with the flow?

oyarde
01-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi, my name is Suzanne, I'm 41 and homeschool my 2 sons. I've been a Libertarian my whole life (my parents are). I turned 18 just in time to vote for
Dr. Paul in 1988, wrote him in 08 and (third times a charm) can't wait to see him win in 12! Greetings !

cajuncocoa
01-19-2012, 12:00 PM
welcome! :)

vechorik
01-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Welcome -- this is where the best news lives

Suzanimal
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
I grew up in Atlanta - Morningside neighborhood, I moved to Loganville (1/2 way between Atlanta & Athens) when I got married.

Suzanimal
01-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the forums!

How old/what grade level are your sons? Do you use a curriculum or just go with the flow?

My boys are 5th & 6th grade and we do a mix.
Math- Saxon Math
Language Arts - They can usually read what they want as long as it's a real book and age appropriate.(comics only allowed at bedtime)
Writing Strands, Daily Grams and Easy Grammar
I also use Khan Academy, it's a free channel on Roku - we don't have "normal" tv, just netflix streaming on a Roku box - not even an antenna on the house.
History - Right now we're watching America the Story of Us and I find information on the internet to supplement what we're watching, we also take advantage of exhibits that come to town, for example when King Tut came to Atlanta, we studied Ancient Egypt and went to the exhibit
Science - This year they're taking classes at Zoo Atlanta and Gwinnett Environmental Hertiage Center, we are members of Fernbank Science Center, we grow a garden every year and when they ask how somethings made, we find out and try to make it ourselves....that gets interesting. We also take advantage of exhibits in Science, for example, went to see Bodies and studied the human body, saw Gold and studied geology.
Art- We go to plays about 4 times a year and do a craft project every week - this week we're making Ron Paul Banners for our yard and Ron Paul T-Shirts
PE- Tae Kwon Do year round(as a family-I'm a kick butt Mama!), Soccer in the fall and spring, Homeschool Soccer at the indoor arena in the winter, Swim Team in the summer

Our vacations usually include something educational, last year we went to DC, we've been to Kennedy Space Center, spelunking in 10 different caves, US Space and Rocket center in Huntsville, US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville and the boys got to sleep on the USS Alabama Battleship. We stay busy! ;)

They're also in Scouts - they like the camping.