PDA

View Full Version : CNN South Carolina Debate for January 19, 2012

CableNewsJunkie
01-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Most 'conservatives' already like Dr. Paul on domestic issues (except maybe the civil liberties stuff - hopefully they'll come around soon). Foreign policy is the deal-breaker for most of them.

I think Dr. Paul could see a 10-15% boost if he added these talking points:

Foreign Policy - Drive home the point that we're going into increasingly larger amounts of debt and going bankrupt to defend the rest of the world. If other countries believe that our presence is in their strategic interest, then why not ask them to pick up the tab? Buying our Treasury bonds does not count as picking up the tab. It only subsidizes an increase in our debt and weakens us financially long-term. Get them to PAY DOWN or FORGIVE our debt if they believe our presence is worthwhile. Otherwise, we should probably leave.

In addition to the example of the Iraqi embassy (this one has already been mentioned a few times), cite even more specific examples of waste overseas.

And it couldn't hurt to advise people to watch the recent Rick Steves documentaries on Iran (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?308615-Rick-Steve-s-Iran&highlight=rick+steves).

Energy - I know Dr. Paul prefers to leave things to the market. I do too. But he has a GREAT OPPORTUNITY here to explain how the market was ignored in the past and how this mistake should be corrected. Talk about how the government made a mistake decades ago by focusing solely on the uranium fuel cycle for nuclear energy instead of giving more attention to the thorium fuel cycle - a proven alternative that is far more efficient, far more abundant, and offers proliferation resistance - it cannot be weaponized. It could also help lessen our dependence on fossil fuels and increasingly expensive uranium.

Civil Liberties - Remind the people about Obama's plans for a "Civilian National Security Force that's just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded" as our military. Talk about NDAA, PIPA, SOPA, Patriot Act, etc. - Continue to draw a clear line between Dr. Paul and Obamney. This will help bring over even more democrats/liberals/progressives/independents.

justinjj
01-18-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm done with these debates. I really used to look forward to these things in 2008, I remember getting an adrenaline rush whenever Ron was finally asked a question.

These things are so contrived that it's ridiculous. I feel like a complete dipshit that I wasted so many hours of my life watching this drivel. I really think that the people who watch soap operas/American Idol/Jersey Shore/whatever are more intelligent than people who watch presidential debates.

I just want to say this to to every candidate except for Ron Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0