PDA

View Full Version : Lefts and Rights and what gives?

bolil
01-18-2012, 03:07 PM
I have always wondered, why is the distinction between political leanings evaluated on a single axis? What is the etymology of those designations? So I guess I would just like to read some of your thoughts on this matter, provided you are willing to share them.

My personal opinion, being an eternal skepticynic, is these distinctions, which I understand are pretty much accepted as synonyms for conservative (right) and progressive (left), have the implicit purpose of pressing people into cells in a way that intentionally dilutes, or degrades, individuality. Myself, I am a conservative (Extreme right) when it comes to the constitution and a progressive (Extreme left) when it comes to individual liberty, further more it seems to me that those positions are mutually inclusive. If I am both far left and far right, does that make me center? It can't, because when I talk to self-avowed rightest I seem to become a leftist, and vice versa.

Or is the reason for these distinctions more diabolical? A concerted effort to permeate a so-called "bi-party" system that most on this forum understand is just a same-party-two-name system. Is the reason, then, for the designations of right and left being so often bandied about to provide evidence of the existence of a choice, even though that evidence is illusory?

Ron Paul really throws this "common knowledge" for a loop. To Fox, he is left of Obama... To CNN he is right of...er...they never come out and say it but is it not implied?... Hitler.

Philhelm
01-18-2012, 03:12 PM
The Nolan Chart deals with this issue. It adds the axis of statist vs. libertarian, so the right can be anti-government.

Left-Libertarian: "Stick it to the Man" Dirty Hippie
Right-Libertarian: Constitutional Militia - Get off his lawn!
Left-Statist: Pinko Commie Bastard!
Right-Statist: OMG Hitler!!!1

Zippyjuan
01-18-2012, 03:15 PM
The origins of the terms apparently come from the French Assembly. From Yahoo Answers:
http://ask.yahoo.com/20011217.html

How did the terms "left wing" and "right wing" come to describe being liberal and conservative?
Michael
Gowen, Michigan

Dear Michael:
To answer this question, we turned to several handy sites that explore the origins of words. Regular readers of Ask Yahoo! might recognize these sites because we've consulted them for many etymological questions.
Word Origins tells us the terms date back to pre-revolutionary France. In 1789, the French National Assembly was created as a parliamentary body to move control of issues, such as taxation, from the king to the citizenry.

Inside the chamber where the National Assembly met, members of the Third Estate sat on the left side and members of the First Estate sat on the right. The Third Estate consisted of revolutionaries, while the First Estate were nobles. Thus, the left wing of the room was more liberal, and the right wing was more conservative. In the next few years, the revolutionaries would take over and countless noble heads would roll, but that's another story.

Word Detective corroborates the idea that "left wing" and "right wing" date to the seating arrangements of the 1789 French National Assembly. The Mavens' Word of the Day also confirms the phrases' origin.

Word Wizard agrees on the origins of the terms and adds that they have a secondary layer of meanings. "Right" can also mean "correct," while the Latin term for "left" suggests "sinister" behavior. We suspect that those on the political right wing appreciate these connotations more than those on the left.

Schiff_FTW
01-18-2012, 03:21 PM
What is the etymology of those designations?

It originated during the French Revolution. In the National Assembly supporters of the king sat to the president's right and supporters of the revolution sat to the left.

Of course these days both "sides" march in lock-step on the major issues, and the terms are just used to foment division.

bolil
01-18-2012, 03:24 PM
thank you for the answers.