PDA

View Full Version : Write to Congress about SOPA and PIPA

andy2044
01-18-2012, 02:25 PM
I have never written to a member of Congress to voice my opinion on an issue (granted I'm only 19, so I haven't had a lot of opportunities). I have decided to write an e-mail to my congressman (Mario Diaz-Balart) and my two Senators (Rubio and Nelson) about SOPA and PIPA. Diaz-Balart's position on SOPA is unknown while both Rubio and Nelson have co-sponsored it (I just read Rubio renounced his sponsorship). Only thing is, I do not know what to write. Any tips would help.

Also, I do not know much about SOPA or PIPA. Can you give me more specifics so I can write an educated and liberty minded answer? Thanks.

JoshLowry
01-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Pretty good explanation.

http://blog.reddit.com/2012/01/technical-examination-of-sopa-and.html

It is my strong belief that both PROTECT IP and SOPA:

Will not stop the piracy they are targeting
Contain language that is highly ambiguous and extremely broad making them ripe for abuse, and
Introduce regulation and enforce censorship on what should be a free and open internet.

andy2044
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
I was thinking of beginning each letter with a short introduction of how I respect them (for example, Diaz-Balart's office was the first congressional office I ever visited, Rubio was the first person I ever voted for, and Bill Nelson I once supported). After that friendly note I write why I believe they should not support this bill. I think it would make a good transition. Is this good? I've never done this. Sorry for the stupid questions.