PDA

View Full Version : SC campaign telling volunteers not to talk to media?

Chieppa1
01-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Alan Fisher - Al Jazeera English Senior Correspondent.

On his Twitter:

"Why has the Ron #Paul campaign instructed volunteers not to speak to the media? I thought it supported individual freedoms and rights?"

"We wanted to ask people what they liked about Ron #Paul and why they were supporting him. Appears to be a "dangerous" question."

"We've been sent an email where a senior volunteer says they are under "strict instructions" not to speak from the Ron #Paul campaign"

"We showed up to the Ron #Paul HQ in South Carolina. They said they were being ignored by the media but they've told volunteers not to talk"

"Ron #Paul has the right to control the message but his campaign is telling volunteers who want to speak not to. I wanted to clear that up."

This a new thing? This normal?

EDIT"But if there are any #Paul supporters in South Carolina (Colombia) who want to talk with us on camera - I'd be delighted to meet up today"

Razmear
01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm sure they can speak to the media, they just can not say they are speaking on behalf of the campaign.

milo10
01-18-2012, 01:50 PM
That seems really odd, especially with Al Jazeera, who don't have the usual set of biases.

sailingaway
01-18-2012, 01:51 PM
They did that in Iowa, just because people would state positions Ron would have to clear up. But there were some volunteers they got to know and let speak. Most there(in SC) now are new to volunteering since it just ramped up , and the campaign probably just has no idea how they would come across. Check the Iowa stories about dress codes etc. Iowa found it amusing.

sailingaway
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
That seems really odd, especially with Al Jazeera, who don't have the usual set of biases.

I sincerely doubt there is a special standard just for Al Jazeera. The campaign had a standard "I shall not speak to the media" form, and I'm sure they are just using it in SC too.

Maybe the campaign can clear someone for them to speak to .

walt
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Alan Fisher - Al Jazeera English Senior Correspondent.

On his Twitter:

"Why has the Ron #Paul campaign instructed volunteers not to speak to the media? I thought it supported individual freedoms and rights?"

"We wanted to ask people what they liked about Ron #Paul and why they were supporting him. Appears to be a "dangerous" question."

"We've been sent an email where a senior volunteer says they are under "strict instructions" not to speak from the Ron #Paul campaign"

"We showed up to the Ron #Paul HQ in South Carolina. They said they were being ignored by the media but they've told volunteers not to talk"

"Ron #Paul has the right to control the message but his campaign is telling volunteers who want to speak not to. I wanted to clear that up."

This a new thing? This normal?

EDIT"But if there are any #Paul supporters in South Carolina (Colombia) who want to talk with us on camera - I'd be delighted to meet up today"

+rep It's apparently all too normal to the leaders of this campaign :(

sailingaway
01-18-2012, 01:53 PM
do you have his twitter link? I'd want to forward it to the campaign.

fade
01-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Yes, it is because even Ron Paul's volunteers can be idiots at times - and do not present his message the best way possible (even though they complain about him doing that).

So it is best to not let anyone speak for the campaign and make Ron Paul look bad.

Chieppa1
01-18-2012, 01:56 PM
do you have his twitter link? I'd want to forward it to the campaign.

https://twitter.com/#!/AlanFisher

I followed him for the Egypt uprising.

Schiff_FTW
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Probably because volunteers are entrusted with privileged information that may be detrimental to the campaign if it got out. Non-disclosure agreements are very common and usually for good reason.

trey4sports
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
do no talk to the media. period.

that's what the instructions are.

sailingaway
01-18-2012, 02:06 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/AlanFisher

I followed him for the Egypt uprising.

thanks

SchleckBros
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
The campaign is right. Volunteers have get out the vote techniques that the campaign is trying to keep a secret. Also, the last thing we need is media asking volunteers about 9-11 and conspiracy theories.

The media hates Ron Paul and the media will edit/quote mine these individuals for their hit pieces. We don't need to add any more fuel onto the fire.

unknown
01-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Maybe true but we'd need a better source than a printed e-mail.

Aldanga
01-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Probably because volunteers are entrusted with privileged information that may be detrimental to the campaign if it got out. Non-disclosure agreements are very common and usually for good reason.
This. People touting this as a violation of personal rights are missing the entire point. If you don't like the NDA the campaign requires, don't volunteer for the campaign. Voluntary association at its finest.

alucard13mmfmj
01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
volunteers talking may be detrimental, especially since media will spin it.

brandon
01-18-2012, 02:28 PM
ehh i hate when my posts magically disappear.

sanssq
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
If you say: "I, and other people in the campaign think this is a great cause. We have been working very hard for the Paul campaign but I've gotta go. I'm real tired now." It would come out: "I'm real tired of the Paul campaign. 'Cause they are real hard. Other people in the campaign think the same. I've gotta go."

me3
01-18-2012, 02:38 PM
The media has done nothing to help Ron Paul. No need to feed that beast, its a waste of energy.